Names which are really not so surprising when you think about it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Names which are really not so surprising when you think about it

Probable nil thread, but I feel the need to share so here goes...

A newly joined player at my Hockey Club glories in the surname Crucifix. Which is pretty unusual, I think. I've certainly never heard of anyone called that before. But when I stop and think, I have known of lots of people called 'Cross' and that is referencing exactly the same historical incident. So why not go latin and Crucifix instead? However I'm wondering if it actual stems from another non-anglophone name that sounded vaguely like crucifix and morphed or was changed into the most similar English word?

I like name threads, but have no idea about this other than to say, I know of twins called Holly and Christmas.

Guess when they were born? Yep, 25th September.

Comment

Fionnuala-Tallulah Harley-Davidson.

AKA 'Bump' is the working title for Ruth Davidson's son or daughter due in October.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
        I like name threads, but have no idea about this other than to say, I know of twins called Holly and Christmas.

Be sure to wish them 'compliments of the season' tomorrow...

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post

A newly joined player at my Hockey Club glories in the surname Crucifix. Which is pretty unusual, I think. I've certainly never heard of anyone called that before. But when I stop and think, I have known of lots of people called 'Cross' and that is referencing exactly the same historical incident. So why not go latin and Crucifix instead? However I'm wondering if it actual stems from another non-anglophone name that sounded vaguely like crucifix and morphed or was changed into the most similar English word?
          That is a great name. There is, of course, the highly popular "De La Cruz" or just "Cruz" in Spanish-speaking countries as well. In that vein, it would raise an eye-brow to name you child "Jesus" here whereas it is common practice in Spanish-speaking countries. Moses is also a name which isn't used here much but is fairly popular in America.

I remember teaching a girl called "Trinity" which wasn't so much surprising as she was one of the three but more so as she was the eldest.

Comment

I'm disappointed that very few German kids are called Fürchtegott these days, whereas Tims and Timos abound.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
              I'm disappointed that very few German kids are called Fürchtegott these days, whereas Tims and Timos abound
              What's the equiv for Dorothea/ Theodor- Liebegott?

Comment

I had a colleague many years ago whose surname was Eighteen. I'm sure there was a rational reason but could never work out what it might have been.

Comment

There was a kid in a school I taught in last week called "Seven"

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                    I remember teaching a girl called "Trinity" which wasn't so much surprising as she was one of the three but more so as she was the eldest.
                    Was she born after The Matrix came out?

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post

Of course the conception date is entirely appropriate. So it wasn't just Santa that emptied his sack, etc etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                        There was a kid in a school I taught in last week called "Seven"
                        I was at primary school with a Seven. His sister, who was two years younger, was called Nine (which was pronounced like the number, as opposed to "Nee-ne" or whatever).

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post

Crucifix isn't latin for 'cross', though, it's quite specifically '[Christ]fixed on the cross'. I don't think there's an English equivalent word for that other than the latin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                            Was she born after The Matrix came out?
                            Ah, she would have been. That would explain it.

Comment

I work with a Lebanese guy called Fady. Everyone 'new' who hears of him thinks were calling him 'Fatty' and seems put off until they see it in print.

Mrs WOM could win this hands-down with her student roster: three sisters named Harmony, Melody and Rhythm. And that's just the tip of a very large iceberg. My daughter has three sisters/friends named Ramena, Shelvina and Shiovana, and their brother Nicholas. Figure that out.

And I worked with a woman whose last name was Crucifix, and she looked goth and had a wicked goth first name, too. The whole package just worked.

Comment

I am assuming that Rhythm was a surprise addition to the family?

Comment

If only they named their son Blues.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                    Crucifix isn't latin for 'cross', though, it's quite specifically '[Christ]fixed on the cross'. I don't think there's an English equivalent word for that other than the latin.
                                    Yeah, I know. That is why I didn't say it meant 'Cross' but referred instead to the same incident as that particular surname does.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                      Mrs WOM could win this hands-down with her student roster: three sisters named Harmony, Melody and Rhythm.
                                      Has she checked their movement is not in Supermarionation? Destiny, Symphony, Rhapsody, Melody and Harmony, for reference. Forming, to be fair to Gerry and Sylvia Anderson, a squadron of female fighter pilots back in the day when depictions of dynamic, indepedent (and multi-ethnic for that matter) Women on TV were anything but the norm.

Comment

Seems an appropriate time to mention that my surname is 'de Ste. Croix'.... It rarely gets anglicised, at least in an understandable way; although I recently noticed (whilst googling something else entirely) an area in Australia called Sancrox, which I vaguely thought might be related... Sanquhar (in Scotland) certainly isn't....

Comment

One that surprised me a few years ago was a family that named their eldest daughter Genocide.

Comment

ahc wins the thread. Yet again.

Comment

A friend of my mum called their son 'Lucifer'; they seemed to think it was related to Christopher. Another friend worked in TV (C5) and did a show in which on of the participants had called their daughter Chicane.

Comment

ahc, was she Native American?

Comment

Father Navajo, mother Mexican. I was trying to get child support for the mother and family. I honestly don't think that they knew what the word meant.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X