Keep to the point!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, that's the one.
    Last edited by Femme Folle; 24-09-2018, 12:36.

Comment

Something something Ignore Poster function.

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
      I wonder what happened to Morgan.
      And WOM also. Has anyone seen him around recently?

Comment

It works.

Comment

I see both sides - if you want to start dedicated threads for events or certain discussions that makes sense, but I’m a fan of the easy conversation on the MT and agree with dm about it being easy to be discreet there. When it turns to cars I can flick by quickly. So no problem if it’s one minute bins, then bereavement or surprise (to us) (and possibly the baby) babies.

Comment

AG has forsaken OTF and read lots of books? There's something in that.

I wonder what happened to bosniajenny. One wonders about all posters that go missing (well, the ones you notice anyway) but someone serving in the forces disappearing does add extra gravity.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

One wonders about all posters that go missing (well, the ones you notice anyway) but someone serving in the forces disappearing does add extra gravity.
              I really hope you meant that.

Comment

I echo the echoing of dm's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                  I really hope you meant that.
                  Erm, yes. Have I missed something?

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                    Erm, yes. Have I missed something?
                    Sorry, I meant the wording (of your post). When I typed that message last night, I saw a pun in there.

Comment

I echo Sits' echoing of the others echoing of DM's fantastic post. The mundane thread is both extremely mundane and full of profound stuff about life changing experiences and I like it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ek weet nie View Post
                        Mundane: Lacking interest or excitement; dull.

Not mundane: significant bereavements or illnesses; births of children.

I know people mean well but posting really significant events in the fastest moving single thread on the board titled mundane means it’s easy to miss. Is there a better way?

Mundane: ordinary. everyday. routine

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                          The OP misunderstands 'Mundane Thread II'. It's a thread that has organically evolved into a community chat thread where people talk and joke about nothing in particular, petty or major annoyances and joys, rants, soul-baring, as the mood takes them. As if they were actually chatting in a cafe, living room or pub. The title no longer reflects what it is, but remains the origin, so it is regularly referenced with overtly mundane posts similar to threadstarter WOM's original.

A similar thread on Outdoors Magic, an outdoors site (fancy!) I used to frequent, is called 'OM Mini-Meet On Bennachie' and was originally a simple enquiry as to whether anyone fancied a walk on the Aberdeenshire hill. It is 13 1/2 years old with 125,224 replies. Only the first few have anything to do with the proposed meet-up, but Bennachie would often be referred to and quite a few thread regulars were inspired to visit it by their fondness for the community.

Evolving threads like these are among the best things on the net for me. They are in effect years-long conversations that can be participated in by any poster. I don't think they could exist in any other medium than the message board - you couldn't have them in chatrooms for instance, as those are much faster moving.

And people do talk about life-shattering events in a mundane way, all the time, because they are very often mundane. Being born and dying are literally the only things that all humans will experience. Having a separate thread specifically for things deemed 'too important for MTII' (in itself an arbitrary standard that will be interpreted differently by every single poster) seems artificial, and if MTII posters decide to only talk about things that are acceptably trivial then that thread will be much diminished.

If someone thinks that something is seriously noteworthy they can still start a thread about it.

One other thing about MTII - some of the things and events discussed there are of a type where the poster may well not wish their posts to be easily findable by search engines, in case the wrong sort of people should stumble across them and take an unhealthy interest in the poster. I've made posts like that today. Having them buried in a megathread helps with this.
                          I was part of such a thread on OM for a while when Ed, Mikefaedundee and the chap who ended up starting Ookworks ruled the roost. Not sure if it was the Bennachie thread mind?

Anyhow, good point about the essential mundanity of existence...

Comment

Working...
                          X