Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ireland's Shame

EDIT: Removed
    Last edited by Johnny Velvet; 05-11-2021, 12:50.

Working till 6 but I'll see if I can get up for part of it

Comment

Thanks Reg.

On a more cheerful note we should have a Dub-thon sometime. I'll be Ireland for a week mid-October DV

Comment

Let me know dates Dunc and I should be able to get there

Comment

Why is that jacobin article so fucking bad? Why is it an incoherent mess long on fingerpointing, short on solutions, and how to provide them? Rooting around in my wardrobe and digging out my Economy of Ireland Teaching assistant hat, I would give that a 40% for interest, and grammar, with a note to call up during my office hours for a detailed explanation as to why though well intentioned it's nonsense. There are facts in there, he gets close to some of the key issues, but swerves away before dealing with them to focus on emoting. You can't solve any problems unless you properly identify the problem, unless you can specify solutions that you want, and provide a feasible and practical means of paying for it. But this isn't about solving the problem, this is campaigning, and straight down the line populist bullshit.

(Googles Oliver Eagleton, his other article is in praise of our suicidally shortsighted problems with water charges, and how Lexit is going to be awesome, and understands.) I'd expect better from what I strongly suspect to be Terry Eagleton's son.

Ireland is fucking doomed as long as this sort of bollocks is taken as "Left wing thought" in Ireland while This is seen as coming from the pigdog lackeys of neo-liberal imperialism.

The Irish Govt needs to build about 200,000 one and two bedroom apartments, and about 100,000 old people houses, because we have vastly more houses than we need, and a tiny proportion of the apartments that we require, and the market isn't going to provide them, and it needs to a) create a special purpose vehicle to borrow a fuck load of cash, and to substantially pay for it out of taxes on wealth such as increased property taxes, increased inheritance taxes, and other taxes on wealth. It strikes me as fascinating that so many on the new Idiot left seem to be completely unaware of the concept of Taxation of the wealthy, and redistribution. It's like they've never heard of the fucking concept.
          Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 12-09-2018, 17:47.

Comment

Partly cos the entire left are wedded to the bullshit that a property tax is “double taxation” on “hard-pressed families”. It’s funny how the far left can sound like Tories/Blairite UK Labour when there’s votes in it.

Comment

I saw for the first time in years new high density apartments in Dublin yesterday. But it was by the new Microsoft HQ, something tells me there are none for social rent, and even though their architectural merit is nil, they won’t be seen as eyesores or evil brutalist boxes cos they aren’t stacking the poor. My grandparents’ old block of 50s flats is probably the best gaff I’ve lived in. With maintenance and continued investment council flats can piss over a damp Edwardian piece of crap. But apparently they make their tenants criminals or something cos no gardens and shared green space.

Comment

Jane Jacobs can burn in Hell for her bullshit cant.

Comment

I do hope that if the sociopath in chief calls his early election the pissed on renters vote in the numbers they did in the last refs, and deprive the fucker of the near majority he thinks is in his grasp. Though I suppose a lot of young social liberals are also free market wanks. Even Adam Smith so beloved of Tories and Blueshirts knew the worthlessness of the rentier class, it’s time there was a reckoning. But I doubt we’ll see it.

Comment

It's like you've learned literally nothing about us in your time living here. You are living in a country where people like to say the thing that will cast them in a positive light, but in reality most of us are basically the two cunts in Jean De Florette, or fancy ourselves as the Fucking Bull mcCabe. We're a nation of peasant farmers with dreams of living in the big house. The reason that we have a housing crisis, is that it either directly suits the vast majority of Irish voters, or fixing it would go against their direct personal interests

I wouldn't hold out the prospect for this being anything like the Abortion or Gay marriage referendum, because in both of those instances, the majority just had to give their consent for people to do things that had literally no impact whatsover on anyone else, and cost virtually nothing. BTW the Fianna Fail proposals for dealing with the housing crisis are fucking hilarious. They want to give €200 million to builders, to subsidize 4,000 houses to the tune of 50k. I mean that's just amazing. BTW, this is the party we decided to resurrect after the crash. The Sinn Fein policy is to spend an extra 1.2 billion on providing 10,000 houses this year. A proposal short on awareness of how long it takes to build housing, but also severely limited on where the money for this would come from. This is twenty fucking eighteen. If you can't explain how you're going to pay for it, given all your other spending plans, then fuck off and stop wasting our time.

Comment

!!! I’m sceptical of things ever changing... mostly cos most people’s ambition is to join the ranks of the rentiers. Reg thinks things will change, young people scare the shit out of me with their reflexive kill the poor attitudes (admittedly based on a sample size of my last two flatmates under thirty). I’m no more expecting a reckoning for the landlord class than I am Scottish Indy.
                      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 12-09-2018, 20:01.

Comment

It’s also pretty fucking easy to be socially liberal these days, but almost no cunt except me it seems is willing to pay more tax.

Comment

Working...
                        X