Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using up your "Get Out Of Jail Free" cards.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using up your "Get Out Of Jail Free" cards.

I am posting this on here as, for obvious reasons, I am not allowed to post it on Facebook and I can anonymise it here more (although many of you are FB friends - or, indeed, family - as well but I hope you will respect the confidentiality of this). It may also explain the, perhaps, more odd posting I have done of late and my quite frankly rubbish chess playing. Mostly, though, I feel I want to leave it somewhere for posterity and don't write a diary. I appreciate it may seem disloyal to write this but I have had had a terrible six months (and beyond) and think I am owed this, at least. It’s less entertaining, more depressing and not as well written as, for instance, Adams house cat’s engaging anecdotes so don’t feel you have to read it but, if you wish to, get yourself a coffee and biscuit and plump up the cushions. (it is in three parts as, apparently, there is a character limit).

Bored Jr has always been drawn to the, let's say, seedier side of society. He was obsessed by those "Police Interceptors" programmes on Channel 5 and we were never quite sure whether he was siding with the good guys or the bad guys. He was quite disruptive and badly-behaved throughout school but did finish - with hardly if any bunking off - albeit without great academic results to show for it. He got into trouble outside school for a bit of shoplifting which, though we were understandably pissed off at the time, appeared to be par for the course for school-age teenagers - according to friends anyway. Notwithstanding this, we made sure he was suitably punished and apologised to the shopkeeper etc. He then went to an independent football academy where, while he did well at the football, didn't keep up academically and started missing lessons. Sure enough, he was thrown out of the academy, went to a rugby-based course doing some vocational courses and then started doing sports coaching at college.

We know now that Bored Jr started smoking weed somewhere in the last year of school and the start of college. Now, as someone who used to smoke a fair amount of weed at college age and beyond, I wasn't exactly alarmed but we did tell, in no uncertain terms, that he shouldn't, it was not to enter the house and he could get a criminal record from it which would restrict much of what he wanted to do especially travelling to places like the US. Not for the first time in this story, I look back and wonder if I could have been firmer but, as I know from my teenage experience, once he was out of the house it was very difficult to police. Perhaps horribly inevitably, it became obvious he had started dealing in weed - coming home smelling of it (and lots of it), wearing new clothes and staying out all night regularly. Obviously, this led to a lot of arguments at home, not least when we found weed and flushed it down the toilet. As he was now approaching 18, we were getting increasingly desperate as we knew he could get himself into real trouble and, in reality, there was little way we could punish him. To be brutally honest, if it had been us as kids, we would have been smacked about the head a great deal. However, firstly, I still don't think this is the right course - rightly or wrongly, perhaps the latter with hindsight - and, secondly, he is built like a brick shithouse and, even in the few unfortunate and regrettable physical confrontations we have had, I wasn't sure that I wouldn't end up on very much the receiving end. He had also, with the drug-dealing, got into a lot of fighting and, more worryingly, knives had started disappearing from our draw. We could have informed the police ourselves but couldn't bring ourselves to do it - more questioning that in hindsight - or we could throw him out of the house. However, we adopted Bored Junior and, while not sure how much of his behaviour could be caused by his chaotic start in life, we couldn't bring ourselves to be another family that effectively gave him up - again, we have wondered the wisdom of that in hindsight. Also, we knew that, were we to throw him out, he would end up staying with his drug-dealing mates.

The mates that he was hanging around with got increasingly less palatable or, indeed, visible. Another decision that we wonder about in hindsight is that we have always impressed on him to accept people as they are and not judge them by their background, appearance etc (how liberal are we?). To an extent, this was successful and, to this day, people say about how socially engaging he is especially to adults and younger children. He can quite happily communicate intelligently with vicars, local councillors even coppers. However, this meant that some of his mates that he brought and around - and, who often stayed - were, to be blunt, very dodgy looking and acting. Again, difficult to deal with as, firstly, we had no idea whether or not they were dodgy and, also, if we knew them, we felt we were a bit more in control (again, with hindsight...). Last year, however, he started hanging out with a very dodgy and well-known load of brothers down here. Parents, police, social workers, pretty much everyone knows about them here and there have been loads of vile stories of their actions from an early age. All three brothers have been in and out of prison multiple times and the father is a drug dealer who has pimped out their mother and used the boys to sell drugs on the street - they were seen in their primary school uniform. The police know all about them but can't do anything about the drug dealing as they threaten vulnerable kids and adults to keep them on their premises. No-one else can't do anything about them as they are effectively running a county line down here and are connected to London dealers. I have another mate whose 15 year old kid - more the normal age of those they groom - got involved with them and became off-the-scale out of control, smashing up the house, threatening his mother and sisters and ending up now in residential care but constantly trying to escape to get back here. My mate seriously considered getting some old associates from up North to 'pay them a visit' but realised he and his family would have to leave town due to any retribution. A mate of his had a kid who also got involved with them and, after a couple of years of hell, he ended up meeting them to pay off a drug debt and moving his son away. This lad's brother started the same way and his father gave all his hoodies and puffer jackets to the charity shop as he "wasn't going down that fucking route again". Like Bored Jr, all these lads come from secure middle class families. As you can imagine, this only increased our feeling of powerlessness although we did tell Bored Jr in no uncertain terms that he shouldn't be hanging out with them but, "they're alright when you get to know them" and "they look after me and don't let me get involved in all this". We knew that he was up to his neck in it but, again, our options were limited - the 'kicking him out of the house' option was toyed with but, to be honest, he was hardly there anyway. Even though I am not a violent person, I toyed with many scenarios of warning them away from my son but, of course, am not even in their league let alone their associates. Our limited options were talking to social services but they couldn't do much as he was approaching 18 although they offered him counselling and advice centres - which, on occasion, he did attend (in the odd short periods that he realised he was making a mistake). Again, talking to the police was even more off the table considering the reach of the family.

At Christmas, it really started to deteriorate. Bored Jr was thrown out of college for carrying weed but it was more due to suspicion of dealing on the premised. We had taken in a mate of his who had been thrown out of home but it was obvious that they were both heavily involved in dealing so we took him back to his, again, very middle class home after Christmas. We actually had taken in a lot of Bored Jr's mates who had been thrown out of their houses over the last couple of years. Part of the thinking behind this was that it meant that Bored Jr is at home more, a bit of "keep your enemies closer/know your enemy" (although one or two were fine and I still trust). However, again with hindsight, this was probably enabling him more. After his exit from college, we, of course, kept on at him to get a job but, equally of course, he didn't. Indeed, he has never had the greatest work ethic (unlike me and my wife) and has only ever had a couple of school holiday or Saturday jobs that only last a couple of weeks at most. Knowing that he liked money and didn't like working too hard, I did mention to him, during a frank discussion about dealing, the Freakanomics fact that drug dealers ten to earn much less money than McDonald's burger flippers but with much more but, of course, he knew better and had met people with big houses and cars who make hundreds and thousands a day dealing. The fact that all his mates - including the major dealing family, lived in their parents’ - mostly council - houses didn’t disabuse him of this notion. People - especially 18 year old twats - *have*had enough of experts.

Cutting to the chase somewhat, in February, we get a knock on the door late at night from the police. As it goes, this isn’t a surprise - Bored Jr has been called in for questioning for a couple of things but, oddly and genuinely, he has had nothing to do with them or they have amounted to nothing. This time, however, was obviously more serious and they needed to see him - they couldn’t tell us as he was now 18. We gave him the details of where his mates were - as much as we knew by now - and said we would get him to contact them. We contacted him but, however much we nagged him, he didn’t go and we had a couple more visits from the coppers. In the end, they arrested him and we found out from one of his mates. I went down to the police station but he had already left and gone back to his drug dealing family. When we finally managed to get him home, he had said that they had picked him up and contacted a lawyer they knew. Needless to say, we had a fairly heated discussion about all this and I said I was going to get another lawyer and not the one this fucking family had organised for him especially as, on checking, his previous cases had been getting murders down to manslaughter etc. Then he told us about the crime.

Basically, according to him, there was a discussion around the drug house about contacting another kid that they knew - who, it appears, was no angel himself but that doesn’t really matter - and robbing him of his Rolex. Bored says that he realised what was going on (he has been playing Xbox and trying to be non-committal), tried to excuse himself but was told, in no uncertain terms, that he was taking part with another kid (drug dealing family not involved, of course). They were driven to meet the guy who they picked up, with no idea what was going to happen, and then took him to a deserted building. Bored’s ‘mate’ told the lad to give them the Rolex, the other lad produced a, hitherto unknown to Junior, knife and threatened him. The other lad still refused so the knife guy touched the blade against his leg. Bored Jr panicked, pleaded with the kid to give them his watch and, when he refused, punched him so that he could get the watch off him without him being stabbed. Now, I know this sounds absolute bollocks from Bored Junior but I have seen him give this story now about 10 times and it is always pretty much the same as his original statement while not being so identical as to be suspiciously rehearsed. Also, in the victim’s statement, he says that Bored Junior says “[I]Please[i] give him the watch” so there seems to be a modicum of truth to this. Whatever, this doesn’t excuse Bored Junior and it is a horrible story to hear and tell so I have no idea what it must have been like for the victim. Anyway, the police said that they were confiscating his phone and they would be in touch.

This did not have the effect on Bored Junior that we would have expected and hoped for. Although he said all the repentant things, he still spent most of his time around the drug dealers’ house and we were going frantic with, again, few options left to us. It took quite a few months but, eventually, Bored Junior was charged with robbery with a date at the local magistrates court. This seemed to have some sort of effect on him as he announced that he was getting out of the area and going up to the North. The main reason for this was that his birth family were up there and he wanted to spend some time with them. We were very suspicious about this as, while his birth mother is now dead and he has never been in contact with his birth father, his wider family, who he has been in touch with for years, aren’t exactly the most law-abiding of families. Having said that, it is mainly low- level buying snide trainers off acquaintances for their kids and the like and drug-dealing is a definite taboo (although one or two of the younger members of this vast family smoke weed). They are also fiercely protective of us and not afraid to give Bored Junior shit if he misbehaves. He also said that he wanted to try and get some construction work up there. While wary, it did seem to get him away from her for a while. I did send him off with the advice that whatever he did up there, he wasn’t to deal as there were a lot of nastier people up there who were already fully ensconced in dealing.

It started off reasonably well but, inevitably, it went downhill in two ways. Firstly, he announced that he couldn’t come back here as he had fallen out with the main son of the drug-dealing family. Two of Bored Junior’s less tolerable features are being able to start an argument in an empty room (I literally don’t know where he gets this from) and not keeping the fuck out of other people’s affairs. Apparently, instead of stepping on some of this bloke’s dealing activities, he got involved in his relationship with his girlfriend and spread what were perceived as rumours. Obviously, you don’t piss these people off lightly and they wanted him, at least, badly beaten. Then, even more inevitably, we started hearing rumours from his auntie - the matriarch of his birth family - that he was up there dealing and pissing off a load of people up there. Frantic messaging ensued but, of course, he denied it and said that he wasn’t coming back here as he wasn’t safe. The messages from his auntie got worse saying that people were coming around her house (he had now started his sofa surfing up there) looking for him, armed and threatening.

Now, parents of newly independent children may experience a version of the Schrodinger’s Cat thought experiment. When they are out and about, you spend your whole time wondering if they are alive or dead in a ditch as you haven’t heard from them. Usually a return home or a phone call quells these fears but we were going through a constant version of this, wondering whether the next time we heard anything of him, it would be that he was dead. It didn’t help that, at one point, we saw a video of him being arrested on Facebook. As it happened, this happened to be a case of “wrong place, wrong time” but he was lippy with the police and they forcibly took him down the station where he was later released with no further action. However, one night, he got a call saying that there was a load of blokes who are looking for him and so he took a knife from the kitchen draw to protect himself (like hitting someone to stop them being stabbed, an obviously intelligent ploy, right?). Of course, he walked straight into a load of coppers, got seen trying to drop the knife into a garden and was promptly arrested. After he was released, his aunt found out where he was staying, turned up there, told him to get in the car and sent him down here. He didn’t come here though as he still didn’t feel safe so went to a friend’s out of town where, as far as I could tell, he spent the time sitting around smoking weed (although, at the time, I felt he had stopped dealing). He certainly didn’t get into any [i]more[i] trouble.

Comment

The court dates for the robbery and then the possession of the knife arrived (interestingly, he never got arrested for drug dealing) and, typically for the boy, it all got arse about face where the robbery was sent to Crown Court and the possession of a knife couldn’t be decided in magistrate’s court as it was a ‘lesser offence’ so they had to wait to see what happened in Crown Court and take their cue from there. As it happened, the solicitor that I thought was some sort of consigliere for the drug-dealers turned out to be a top-notch smart guy who wasn’t in their pocket, indeed was very critical of them, the extent of which we were to find out later. As someone who has never been in trouble with the police, I did find the courts an interesting experience - especially when they were merely sessions just to put in the pleas etc in. I have a couple of anecdotes about this process but I will leave them until later, perhaps. One thing I will mention, however, is that when we were back up North in the court, in walked who we all thought was the boy’s birth father. We had only seen a picture of him when we first adopted the boy and he had only seen a recent picture of him up there when a mutual acquaintance passed on his number and his birth father sent a picture. Bored Junior, not wanting to know, immediately blocked him and deleted the picture. However, we were all whispering, “Shit, is that….?” and his mate then called this guy by the birth father’s name. We still don’t know if it was him or not and certainly weren’t going to ask. We did then decide that a soap writer would throw out our story as too unbelievable (although The Archers and Coronation Street appear to be nicking bits of it at the same time we were going through it). This was not least the case when, straight after this court appearance, we all had to go to Bored Junior’s birth mother’s funeral.

One of the odd plus points about this was that we were, for the first time in ages, spending a lot of time together, not least on the long trips up North. A lot of the time, this was actually enjoyable as we had forgotten that he is, underneath it all, a lovely lad - a stupid and, at times, impulsive and angry lad but still there was something good there still. He had become almost an abstract concept that all we heard of was negative and we wondered if we had completely lost our son to this violent grade dealer. Having said that, he still had remarkable spells of ingratitude for our worry; time, effort and money spent on his case (including going to people asking for references) and support. You would have thought that we had done this to him at times. A couple of times I said that I washed my hands of him due to his attitude, only to phone him the next day and tell him that, whatever happened, we had to try and keep him out of jail. Actually, I hadn’t mentioned that he was facing 3-6 years inside for the robbery and perhaps some more jail time added on top for the possession of a knife on top of that. His solicitor was going to try and argue the case - due to his previous ‘good character’, guilty plea, age and references to show his background (more of this later) - that the sentences should be reduced down to 2 years which could then be suspended. If the court down here suspended the sentence for the major charge, the feeling was that the magistrate’s court would [i]just[i] add non-custodial punishment (see what we were happy to accept by this time?).

The Crown court day arrived and, of course, there was a twist. The main son of the drug dealing family had been arrested for attempted murder, charged and was appearing to appear a few days earlier than Junior - [i]in the same court[i]. We had no idea whether he was going to be there (indeed, every single court appearance, it was in the back of our mind whether Bored Junior was going to get jumped outside by one of his enemies as they were the times when people could find out where he was - guess they aren’t too good at research). Anyway, on the morning, we found out that he wasn’t going to be there so that was some relief. However, this relief was short-lived as we found out from the solicitor that the judge was a recorder which is, I think, a sort of trainee judge and they tend to play exactly by the book and that was 3-6 years custodial. Our barrister then said that he thought the prosecuting barrister had only seen the case the night before. When the barrister turned up, he was ancient, grey and doddery which only enthused Bored Junior even more. What I didn’t tell him was that I had was shitting myself as I had seen so many Rumpoles where the old school seemingly out of touch lawyer won the case. Our solicitor threw everything at the wall - some stuff I was amazed by - and, to cut a very long story a little less long, the judge obviously and sensibly decided that Bored Junior was the sort of lad that would only end up using prison as a further college of crime. He gave him an astonishing 18 months suspended over two years, 200 hours community service and a tagged curfew to our house - which is what we really wanted. We were, as you can imagine, ecstatic, tearful, hugging and almost hugged the lawyer. The lawyer told us what this all meant and also gave Bored Junior a talking to that he would slap him upside the head if he ever saw him again. Home to tell everyone, have another argument (for some reason, this happened whenever he was let to walk out - we are choosing to put this down to nerves and relief) and wait for the tag man (again, more of which later).

So, exactly a week later, yesterday, we were up North for the possession of a knife charge. As usual, there were difficulties. Bored Junior was tagged from 8pm to 6am; his court time was 10am; it was a four hour drive and we couldn’t leave until 6am. As I had been getting more and more nervous about the supposed sure thing of Bored Junior getting this sentence suspended and having to get up at 5am to haul arse up there through the morning rush hour, I didn’t get much sleep so wasn’t in the best condition to drive. We got up there and it all seemed a bit pessimistic - the solicitor up there (who was also very good but we didn’t have as much personal contact and she was more straight talking without the rhetorical flourish of the previous barrister) correctly warned us that it could be a custodial still. When we went in, it was three magistrates and, when they went out for the verdict, both Bored Junior and the solicitor said that one of them looked like a hanging judge (not exactly Bored Junior’s words). We went in and, like some fucking reality show presenter, the chief magistrate said, “You have been charged with a custodial sentence of 16 weeks……….suspended for a year”. He then gave Bored Jr a good righteous bollocking. Basically, he got 70 hours more community service and that, if he keeps out of trouble, is it. We drove back like a bomb to not only get back for his curfew but also to get the fuck out of Dodge. I don’t want to see the inside of another court ever.

So, if you have got to the end of this, I am not expecting you to think kindly of Bored Junior - I completely understand if you don’t consider his nice side, which we still see, as worth his freedom - especially as he has had a quite privileged, supportive, loving upbringing compared to many who end up in court and, indeed, in prison. At times, I have to be honest, I wondered this myself. Also, I completely understand if you have huge question marks over our parenting and a lot of our decisions - to be honest, you will only be doing the same as we did (possible less so). I am also well aware that our background, social status and cultural capital helped greatly - we were able to get and write references, extract as much as possible for his defence and appear at all his court cases. This was all mentioned by both barristers and judges so obviously made a difference in the perception of him. I also noticed most other young lads in the courts weren’t in there with their parents. One wasn’t even there with legal representation even though the magistrates were virtually imploring him to get one. They were so many lads in there in hoodies and sweatpants while we made sure Bored Jr was in smart clothes and speaking respectfully to the judges. I even feel somewhat sorry for the drug-dealing family’s sons as, in a family like that, they didn’t have a chance growing up to keep out of trouble. I know that we have used every trick in the book to keep him out of prison - our social status, intelligence, connections, everything. However, it genuinely wouldn’t have done any good for him to get a custodial sentence, it would have just made it worse whereas now he can genuinely rehabilitate (indeed, he went off for a job interview this morning). Also, if Danny Cipriani and Ben Stokes can get away with what they got away with, this is actually quite fair.

At the end of the day, I don’t know whether this is gong to be the wake-up call or turning point for Bored Jr. He is saying the right things and doing the right things but the ball is in his court now. We threw everything at this one, well two chances to keep him out of prison. The justice system now knows him as a convicted knife carrying robber and no amount of references, previous good character or anything will change that if appears in it again. He has to stay with us until January but, after that, he has two years to keep his nose clean, well, his whole life recently. He is still, like all 18 year old boys, a stupid know-it-all mouthy impulsive naive child in a man’s body. We have done everything to keep him safe - cajoling, persuading, arguing, praying - but we can’t do it again, I don’t think, and neither can my parents, his wider family nor anyone who has had a stake in it. IT has been an unbelievable strain - probably more on him than he is making out as well.

Comment

Has he started to ditch his ''mates'' who are clearly rubbish?

Comment

Blimey O'Reilly. Bless you all.

Comment

Good lord! Selfishly my first thought was I'm so glad I — we — never had to go through anything like that. My second thought is it sounds as if you did as much as two human beings could do when it comes to caring, loving, supportive parenting. So whatever you do, Don't blame yourselves! Easy to say, and I know you will anyway, 'cos it comes in the package when you're a parent, but don't... seriously.

I wouldn't be arrogant enough to offer advice, I've neither the experience nor the confidence. All I can say is that the teen male hormones will be ebbing soon, that might help. He'll maybe feel less need to act out the type of behavior he's displayed in the past. In any case I wish you the very best of luck. You've sure earned it.

Comment

Bored Jnr is an incredibly lucky boy, BE. Sounds like you and your good lady have played a blinder, despite you second-guessing some of your decisions.

I hope your lad gets his head on straight from this point forward.

Comment

Hell, Bored, that's a lot of weight to have been carrying around. The disruption and logistical demands sound daunting enough before you even get to the emotional side of it. As Amor says, it sounds like you've done everything you could have done to support Jr. FWIW, I don't think there's any strict causality that if you had done x, y might not have happened; life just gets messy and inexplicable sometimes. Fingers very much crossed that the boy takes advantage of the reprieve that you and Mrs Bored have been a big factor in him getting.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                  Has he started to ditch his ''mates'' who are clearly rubbish?
                  He hasn't really had a choice. A lot of them want to, at the least, badly injure them. A couple of them, who he was staying with when he wasn't living with us, I wasn't overly enamoured with and think that they were part of another dealing crowd - I am not 100% sure he ever actually gave it up. A couple here have reconnected with him and I actually trust them. I have an idea that both ditched him when he became too much of an twat. The curfew is going to restrict who he sees for four months at least which, aside from the punishment aspect of it, is what it's there for. Hopefully, by the time he has come off it, he will have work and the sort of friends you get when you are working.

That's the thing about this - I would never say he was 'led astray'; he actively sought out these people and, to a degree, always has done since he was younger. He came home with a mate from primary school and I later found out that his mum had been called "the most hated woman in Britain" by one of the tabloids for squatting a pensioners house and refusing to leave. There are a lot of things I will do for Bored Jr - supporting him, loving him, doing everything I can to keep him out of prison - but I will never let him use any excuses for what has happened. He has got himself there. He may have been adopted after a bad start in life but many people have and have never done what he has (although the amount of ex-care kids in prison is frightening). We may not be the best parents in the world and have made some huge mistakes but nothing that warrants this. He did end up in a crowd and situation where he was ultimately out of his depth but he got himself there. He has had every opportunity possible to have a quite different life and chosen to do this - twice.

Comment

Best of luck, Bored. It's a fascinating story, well told. And horrible. It sounds like there's nothing to blame yourselves for, and little more you could have done. You should not feel guilty that Bored Jr is able to take advantage of the "middle class" advantages that living with you offers, either. It may have kept him out of prison, but the more people who're kept out when there's any alternative, the better.

I just hope he's able to actually take advantage properly, and turn himself around.

Comment

Shit, Bored

I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy.

What everyone else has said, especially Amor.

Comment

Fair play, Bored - I’m not a parent but even if I was, I doubt I’ve got it in me to do all that you’ve done for the lad, and your family as a group - That’s a tremendous effort.

Comment

Good luck BoE, yep parenthood seems utterly thankless. Thank fuck my indiscretions never attracted plod or indeed my parents as a scroat. Three years of compulsive shoplifting and never being caught, thank fuck I lost my nerve at 15. Let alone smalltime aceeeid sales. Weren’t any knives on the go Fifeside at that level back then but. Though my cousin and her no good man have been arrested if not charged for over 100 grand of smack with intent to supply now. Stupid fucker is in her 30s, if she don’t rat on her no good man she’s a fucking idiot.
                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 11-09-2018, 22:44.

Comment

County lines stuff seems terrifying as well, and a version seems to be happening in Ireland too, where limerick/Dublin dealers are moving into culchie as fuck areas like Tipperary where the celtic tiger isn’t really back in effect. Kids topping themselves over weed dealing debts following menaces, smack moving into one horse towns.

Comment

I read all 3 posts expecting a heartbreaking end, so felt a bit relieved. (It reminded me so much of a really lovely guy I knew whose son got into heroin. The last time he saw his son was when he kicked him out of the house. A few days later he was dead from an OD. The one thing I learned from that is you can't judge a parent for the actions of their offspring.)

I think you've gone above and beyond for Bored Jr. You and the family. I don't feel much sympathy for him, except that as a teenager he was a natural easy target for manipulative criminal bastards, so hopefully one day he will look back and realise how fucking lucky he was to end up in your family.

Don't over analyse what you could have done differently. The only person who could have avoided all this palaver is Bored Jr.

Comment

Well, Bored Jr has had a bit of a mare here, hasn't he? But I know plenty of people who when young have done similar, or worse, and they've turned out alright. Something just clicks at some point, and they realise what's what. I'm pretty certain from what I know about you, and what you've said here, that this will happen with your son.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                  Good lord! Selfishly my first thought was I'm so glad I — we — never had to go through anything like that. My second thought is it sounds as if you did as much as two human beings could do when it comes to caring, loving, supportive parenting. So whatever you do, Don't blame yourselves! Easy to say, and I know you will anyway, 'cos it comes in the package when you're a parent, but don't... seriously.

I wouldn't be arrogant enough to offer advice, I've neither the experience nor the confidence. All I can say is that the teen male hormones will be ebbing soon, that might help. He'll maybe feel less need to act out the type of behavior he's displayed in the past. In any case I wish you the very best of luck. You've sure earned it.
                                  This. Every word.

Meanwhile this is in today's paper (and I know you're not looking for excuses but it jumped right out at me having just read your story)

Teen cannabis dealers should be seen as victims, says thinktank

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...y_to_clipboard

Comment

Bloody hell, Bored. That's quite a demonstration that [redacted] isn't always the kind of place people see in the postcards.

Like Amor, my selfish reaction was to feel very lucky I never got into that. Unlike Amor, I have no wise words to add, so I'll just say well done for what you've both done for him, and I hope he appreciates it on some level, if not now then later.

Comment

Bored, sorry to hear all that you've gone through, and glad to hear there is light at the end of the tunnel. As a parent to a 13 year old, long dreading the teen years, I can't imagine how much of a strain that must have been. To echo the others above, it seems you've done everything that could reasonably be expected and more - in time, I'm sure Jr will come to appreciate that in full.

Comment

A compelling and distressing tale that you, and hopefully he, come out of really well.
                                        My wee brother did some time for possession of ‘enough’ coke to be considered dealing. It was just resting in the boot of his car was all he’d tell us siblings.
                                        He’s now lost his house due to the courts claiming back estimated illegal earnings and is living in a rented flat near Cowdenbeath, ‘driving’ for a living. Some of it IS Hermes or whatever zero hours work, but my sister thinks some of his very long jobs might be different kinds of delivery.
                                        Problem being, she thinks, the people he didn’t grass on protected him inside, so maybe he ‘owes’ them again...

Comment

Bloody hell, Bored. I can only imagine at the grief you've had to endure this last while. Having to go through all this while remaining a source of strength for your family must have required near-superhuman mental strength on your behalf.

The only anecdotal evidence I can offer by way of some (maybe dubious) consolation that good parents can still sometimes have trouble with their children is an example from where I grew up. The man who lived in the house behind ours had a son, like in PT's story, who fell in with a bad crowd and ended up addicted to smack. A few years ago, several of the houses including ours on the row were broken into over the course of a night and the usual things had been nicked - jewelry, TVs, laptops and so on. The cops initially thought it might have been an out of town gang but it turned out to be the work of the son and his mates. Perhaps not the brightest thing to be burgling your immediate neighbours but, well, that's what smack addiction does to you, I suppose. The guy and his mates were caught and did time. The father, a carpenter and handyman, was heartbroken and everyone who knew him was amazed as he was known as a lovely man. A couple of weeks after his son was sentenced he went round to all of the houses that had been burgled and, genuinely tearful, apologised to everyone and offered his services for free if anything needed looking after. He still lives on the estate, I think the son is doing better these days.

Comment

Oof. That's some seriously tough sh*t to deal with. Genuinely wish you well, BoE.

Comment

What Jah Womble said.

I'll buy you a scotch egg and a bag of pork scratchings the next time I'm in our local. Only a small bag, mind.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
                                                Bored, sorry to hear all that you've gone through, and glad to hear there is light at the end of the tunnel. As a parent to a 13 year old, long dreading the teen years, I can't imagine how much of a strain that must have been. To echo the others above, it seems you've done everything that could reasonably be expected and more - in time, I'm sure Jr will come to appreciate that in full.
                                                My eldest turns 12 today and reading BoE's story does scare the life out of me. Especially as his biological father is the stereotypical scumbag that BoE refers to in his story.

Can only echo all of the other BoE in that I don't think there was anything more you could do and you have no need to ever second guess what you did. Hopefully Jr now sees the error in his ways and thanks his lucky stars that he appears to have had a miracle getout.

Comment

Well parented Bored. You did all you could do and then some - take a deep breath and be very proud of your effort.

Our son is 21 and at times "letting go" can be extremely tough.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X