Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unusually engaging semi-industrial vistas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusually engaging semi-industrial vistas.

As you come westwards on the M56 just as you come off the M6, you see, on your left, a couple of large-ish hills standing on their own with villages on, one of which has a prominent church in the middle. To your right is the Mersey and an estuary with a wind farm on and then Ellesmere Port. I absolutely love the juxtaposition of the rolling rural English scene with the sparse flat industrial landscape. Even the M56 in the middle doesn't spoil it.

I think that I am drawn to Canvey Island for a similar reason - aside from my general interest in the islands along the Medway. Half of the island is a nature reserve and half is a load of oil refineries and gas works. Also, like the area around Ellesmere Port, it is very flat. Back up Merseyside, I think that Anthony Gormley's "Another Place" is all the more beautiful for being next to a wind farm and, I think, another oil refinery. Again, very flat and sparse.

I think that, perhaps, my being drawn to such land- and sea-scapes comes from growing up in Porthcawl which is actually a quite beautiful stretch of coastline. However, many feel it is spoilt by the tacky seaside resort feel of the place with permanent fair and massive caravan site (I am also a fan of tacky seaside resorts, as it goes). On the Western side of town is Rest bay which is a quite beautiful wide beach (location for the cover of "Heaven Up Here" by the Bunnymen) but somewhat spoilt for some people by the proximity of Port Talbot in the near distance. This somewhat enhances it for me - mainly as I don't live there anymore, I expect, and, I am sure, the origin of my affection for these sort of views. They even have an offshore wind farm there now.

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
    As you come westwards on the M56 just as you come off the M6, you see, on your left, a couple of large-ish hills standing on their own with villages on, one of which has a prominent church in the middle. To your right is the Mersey and an estuary with a wind farm on and then Ellesmere Port. I absolutely love the juxtaposition of the rolling rural English scene with the sparse flat industrial landscape. Even the M56 in the middle doesn't spoil it.
    Frodsham and Helsby?

Comment

Would I be right in thinking you spent time in the delights of west fife as well, BoE? Between Grangemouth refinery across the Forth from frozen in the 17th century Culross (and longannet power station just up the coast) and Mosmorran threatening to blow up Dunfermline any minute there’s some nice blasted vistas those parts as well.
      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 10-09-2018, 19:46.

Comment

You mentioned Port Talbot. The most optically frightening place I've ever been to. And I've been to Eisenhüttenstadt, twice.

Comment

I've always loved coming down the Chiltern scarp on the M40. First there's the juxtaposition of the harsh man-made cutting with the Chilterns themselves, but more than that - particularly on a sunny day - I loved looking out across the calm rolling Oxfordshire countryside, across Norman churches and small towns, and seeing the massive cooling towers of Didcot power station in the distance. The best days of all are with a low summer sun catching a glow on the towers, while there's a gentle mist across the rural Oxfordshire fields.

They've already ruined the view by destroying three of the 6 towers, and the other 3 will be gone by next summer.

Comment

Since moving to the Garden of Ukip I've been captivated by Dungeness - the weird Martian acres of vegetated shingle, punctuated by tidal detritus, pylons and the vast monoliths of the nuclear power station. It's like nowhere else I've ever seen in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
              Since moving to the Garden of Ukip I've been captivated by Dungeness - the weird Martian acres of vegetated shingle, punctuated by tidal detritus, pylons and the vast monoliths of the nuclear power station. It's like nowhere else I've ever seen in the UK.
              I once sailed round the headland on a clear night. From a distance, lit up against the darkness, the power station looked pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                I once sailed round the headland on a clear night. From a distance, lit up against the darkness, the power station looked pretty good.
                Wow, I’d love to do that. I’m guessing it was choppy, I’ve never seen it calm round there.

Comment

Venice and Mestre can produce all kinds of very mixed vistas, particularly at night when the flares and lights of the petrochemical plants on the mainland are easily visible across the lagoon.

Comment

Oh, good call, I love Dungeness. Was drawn to it when I saw a documentary about Derek Jarman's garden, indeed, bought the wife a book about the same.

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                    Would I be right in thinking you spent time in the delights of west fife as well, BoE? Between Grangemouth refinery across the Forth from frozen in the 17th century Culross (and longannet power station just up the coast) and Mosmorran threatening to blow up Dunfermline any minute there’s some nice blasted vistas those parts as well.
                    Ah, now, that is odd. I actually lived in Dunfermline from 6 months to 2 years old (and, of course, don't remember a thing about it). We were there because my Dad was involved in building something up there and I have a feeling it may have been Longannet but I will check with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
                      Alleged to be Britains only desert.

Comment

Ferrybridge power station and cooling towers just north of Doncaster on the A1, next to the junction of the Msomething (M62?) with the moors in the distance and the River Aire valley in the foreground (you have to be driving north for the best effect) is one of these

Comment

I think that I am drawn to Canvey Island for a similar reason - aside from my general interest in the islands along the Medway. Half of the island is a nature reserve and half is a load of oil refineries and gas works. Also, like the area around Ellesmere Port, it is very flat. Back up Merseyside, I think that Anthony Gormley's "Another Place" is all the more beautiful for being next to a wind farm and, I think, another oil refinery. Again, very flat and sparse.
                          Me and you both, Bored. If you come round the Weston Point expressway from Runcorn towards the M56 you get an even better vista as road is more elevated so you can look over the top of the chemical works across the estuary and into rural Cheshire.

I'm lucky enough to live walking distance from Another Place - I'm not sure you can see the oil refinery but you have got Seaforth docks and the container port with it's massive new cranes just to one side.

I also love the view of Port Talbot as you sweep along the M4 - I put it down to living with Sellafield as an ever-present backdrop to my childhood.

Comment

The scenery around Okayama and Kurashiki in Japan is very beautiful, with dramatic valleys, and if you hit the right moment at dusk you can be driving, go round a hillside and go from pine-covered hills to this:
                            Last edited by Haddock; 11-09-2018, 07:45.

Comment

I drive up and down the M4 a lot and still love Port Talbot by night, with the flames burning off the towers and the escaping replicants.

Following up SB's post about Didcot, Buildwas power station is going to be pulled down. It's located right next to Ironbridge and a lot of people think it's an eyesore in the Gorge. But I really love those towers.

I think I'm one of the few people who like wind turbines. There's a massive windfarm out to sea off the North Wales coast, visible as you drive along the A55. Also along that road you drive under a huge industrial conveyor that moves stone (?I think) across the road to load ships. It's ugly but cool.

Comment

Copsa Mica, Romania.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                  I drive up and down the M4 a lot and still love Port Talbot by night, with the flames burning off the towers and the escaping replicants.
                                  Same here. As the westbound M4 takes what by British motorway standards is a hard right and Port Talbot lights up the night sky it looks spectacular.

I used to commute along Stoke-on-Trent’s D-road (A500) and loved the beautiful hotchpotch of post-industrial tat, declining potteries and shiny distribution centres crammed beside the elevated road and lit up by the morning sun.

Comment

Bluff. As well as being the most southernmost town in New Zealand it is home to Tiwai Point aluminium smelter. So there is a weird juxtaposition, especially as when I was there a 1930s car drove past with the occupants in full period regalia.

Also this is a heck of a sight. A four hour drive to it from Anchorage but worth every second because of being the most amazing journey.

Comment

The Botlek area of the port of Rotterdam with its oil refineries. A spectacular sight at night when it lights up like a Roman candle

Comment

I’m another one that likes that juxtaposition of Port Talbot Steel Works on the left and the green hills on the right as you drive west down the M4 - a regular journey on my way to Pembrokeshire.

Funnily enough the Milford Haven refineries set amongst the beautiful Cleddau Estuary just jar with me.

I used to be drawn to the London docklands dereliction on the Thames, but much of that has been redeveloped into dull rabbit-hutch flats these days.

Comment

Port Talbot at night is undoubtedly spectacular. I've only ever been during daylight hours, though. And I was talking about the town of Port Talbot rather than the refineries (or whatever they are). It's just awful.

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
                                            Same here. As the westbound M4 takes what by British motorway standards is a hard right and Port Talbot lights up the night sky it looks spectacular.

I used to commute along Stoke-on-Trent’s D-road (A500) and loved the beautiful hotchpotch of post-industrial tat, declining potteries and shiny distribution centres crammed beside the elevated road and lit up by the morning sun.
                                            Oddly, due to a diversion, came through there yesterday. Can't say that it had the same impact on me but I was trying to follow the GPS and it was mid-afternoon.

Ah, now, that is odd. I actually lived in Dunfermline from 6 months to 2 years old (and, of course, don't remember a thing about it). We were there because my Dad was involved in building something up there and I have a feeling it may have been Longannet but I will check with him.
                                            Found out from my Dad that we lived in Rosyth just down the road from Dunfermline as he was the pressure parts engineer on the building of Longannet

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                              I'm lucky enough to live walking distance from Another Place - I'm not sure you can see the oil refinery but you have got Seaforth docks and the container port with it's massive new cranes just to one side.
                                              Ah, I stand corrected.

Comment

I can recommend Lauchhammer in Brandenburg. The bio towers in particular are a sight to behold.

Comment

Merthyr is usually a good version of this but the only picture I can find of it from far enough away to see the whole valley almost makes it look too bucolic. As it goes, it is more the housing and light industry now that contrasts with the beauty of the valley anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X