Angeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Angeline

Erin walked into my office. Actually she made an entrance. Apart from being a lovely warm hearted person and a fine attorney she was also the office diva. She never "just did" anything.

She asked me if I would talk to one of her clients. She could turn on the charm like a fire hose.

"Who is it?" I asked.

"Angeline Billy. Navajo girl."

"I gathered that. Something wrong?'

"I've two trials to prep and..."

"Alright. What's the story?"

"She is nineteen and charged with ADW. She is also borderline developmentally disabled and you have experience in that area."

As Erin told me the story my Scots-Italian blood began to simmer. Father had never been in the picture and she had been raised by her mother who had pimped her out from the age of nine to buy drugs and booze. "She hates men. Is scared of them and can react badly." Great. Seems she was living with her grandmother in Kirtland. The house needed a new flashlight so her grandmother asked Angeline to walk down to the hardware store and price them up. Come home with a price. She went to the store and picked up a flashlight. The manager came screaming from behind the counter yelling "***ing injuns! Robbing me blind!" and got into Angeline's face. She reacted the only way she knew how. She clouted him. With the flashlight. Hard. Twice. Dropped the flashlight to the floor and stood there.

The police came and she was taken to the county lock up where she spent the night in a cell. Alone. I can only guess but she was probably expecting a man to come and visit.

"Let me have the file."

"I brought it with me. Thanks." she trilled and made her exit. As she walked through the door she reminded me of a three masted schooner leaving harbor.

I read the file. It was all there. Statement of the victim and witnesses. Police report. They were quick with this one. Surprising. I headed up to the jail.

Angeline had been moved from the cell to a bare room. Just a mat on the floor. i was let in to the room and she was sitting crossed legged on the mat. She was achingly pretty. She looked up at me with eyes that were small wells of fear and distrust. I sat cross legged on the floor.

"Hello Angeline. I'm Les Currie with the Public Defenders Office and we want to help you. Would you like us to help you?"

No answer.

"Are you thirsty? Would you like some water?"

An almost imperceptible nod.

I got up (she flinched), woke the inbred at the door and asked him to bring four bottles of water. "They're a buck each."

I gave him $5. "Bring five."

"You must be thirsty."

"My client is. How long as she been in there?"

"Since breakfast."

"Five hours and nothing to eat or drink?"

"She didn't ask."

I resisted the urge to kick him in the balls and went back and sat facing Angeline. I decided to do the interview backward.

The cretin returned with the water. I gave four to Angeline and opened one for me.

"Could you tell me what happened?."

Silence. I sipped at my water and Angeline took a sip of hers. Then she spoke. So quietly. It was as it said in the file. She was looking at flashlights when the man yelled at her and she hit him. It took her the best part of an hour to tell me. By this time my blood was boiling. I got the rest of the details I needed and prepared to leave

"We are going to help you Angeline. I am going to go and try to get you released from here. I'll be back to see you soon."

As I got to the door I heard "Thank you Leskree. Thank you Leskree". Did you ever feel your heart swell?

I got back to the office, told Erin what I had done and asked if I could keep the case. She smiled and said yes. What she wanted all along. called in a favor to schedule a bond hearing for the afternoon. Over the objections of the store manager (after two minutes I wanted to hit him myself) and the ADA the Judge granted her ROR in the custody of her grandmother.

Two weeks later we appeared before the Court to offer our plea. Simple assault with a commitment to a group home where she could be supervised, take her meds and be monitored. The grandmother was happy with this. She was in her seventies. Our wonderful office social worker, Katie, had already found the right facility.

So Angeline went off to Bernalillo to live in a home run by a fabulous Mexican lady named Cynthia.

About a year later I had a conflict case in Albuquerque and on the way home I stopped in Bernalillo for gas and coffee. I walked in the store and heard "Leskree! Leskree!!" There was Angeline with the biggest smile you ever saw. She gave me a hug and told me she was doing well, working at the store two days a week, going to school two evenings a week and feeling good about herself. She hugged me again and as I was leaving she said "'Bye Leskree. Thank you Leskree."

I couldn't drive away immediately, I had something in my eye.

There is a lot of 'me' and 'I' in this. I don't know another way to say it. But it's really no more than than hundreds of public defenders do every day.
    Last edited by adams house cat; 07-09-2018, 17:04.

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
    I had something in my eye.
    So do I now.
    Last edited by Gangster Octopus; 07-09-2018, 16:56.

Comment

Just lovely, Les.

Comment

Yes, I'm a fan. Donald Ray Pollock with a Law degree.

Comment

Agreed,beautiful story,any time you make a difference to someone's life in golden

Comment

Loud Applause!

Comment

ahc, you should seriously consider doing a book.

There is a dearth of popular literature on the vital work that you and your colleagues do and I really believe that you have the talent to break through that.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                ahc, you should seriously consider doing a book.
                Hard to disagree. These are tremendous stories, very well told.

Comment

You are all so very kind.

A postscript. Angeline's mother came back and wanted back into Angeline's life. Specifically some of the money she was getting from the Navajo Nation. I couldn't take up this matter, we were not allowed to take on civil cases.

I asked another attorney in town, Scotty, also one of our contract attorneys, if he could help.

So, Scotty and I drove down to Albuquerque and went in front of a Judge to get her fucking mother out of Angeline's life. Once and for all.

The Judge heard Scotty's presentation, thought for thirty seconds then told Mommy Dearest to get the hell away, stay the hell away or be locked the hell away.

Driving back I asked Scotty about his fee. I had to be careful or I could get into trouble.

"How about a case of them Newcastle Brown Ales you brought to my barbecue last month?"

"Done."

Scotty is a good guy.

Comment

And, sorry, but who is Donald Ray Pollock?

Comment

By far the greatest writer ever to come from Knockemstiff, Ohio (yes, really)

Comment

Another one to the list.

Comment

Thanks AHC.

Comment

Wonderful stuff ahc, thanks for sharing

Comment

I so enjoy reading your work, especially when it has a satisfying ending.

Like many of us have been saying... please compile these and get them published!

Imp used UNBOUND to get his latest book published. I would gladly donate to read more of your experiences in print.
                              Last edited by Cal Alamein; 08-09-2018, 13:47.

Comment

That's a beautiful story, superbly told. I'm welling up too. Thanks for sharing.

Like a three masted schooner leaving harbour is such an evocative image. Wonderful.

Comment

Posting this made we wonder how Angeline was getting along so I made a couple of calls.

She is still living in the home. That's 12 years now. She works full time at a supermarket and has earned her GED.

Comment

Pour yourself something nice while you think about your role in that.

Comment

Man, that's such a great story. Thanks, ahc.

Comment

Great story, AHC.

Comment

What everyone else said.

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
                                            Posting this made we wonder how Angeline was getting along so I made a couple of calls.

She is still living in the home. That's 12 years now. She works full time at a supermarket and has earned her GED.
                                            I'm hardly the only one silently punching the air here, well done ahc, great story well told, more importantly it's great to know you contributed in a big way to a good outcome.

Comment

Where's the next one, ahc? you can't keep a rapt audience waiting too long.

and yes: -great story, great outcome. Well done to you- and Angeline!

Comment

Just read this now - great stuff ahc!

Comment

I needed this, on an otherwise rubbish Monday

Comment

Working...
                                                  X