X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cultural catastrophe in Brazil

National Museum in Rio destroyed

"This is what genocide looks like"

"There were languages burned up in the fire with no living speakers. They're gone."

Just unspeakably horrible.

Comment

Yes, I don't have much to say about it, but thought there should be a thread. The polemical Twitter post I linked is very powerful imo, and brings home both how far-reaching this is, and how far disaster capitalism has sunk its claws into Brazil (again).

Comment

The criminal lack of funding in the context of the zillions spent on the Olympics, World Cup and corruption just makes it worse.

Comment

Glad there's a thread to recognise this disaster. Although I have nothing worthwhile to add to the above.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
            National Museum in Rio destroyed

"This is what genocide looks like"

"There were languages burned up in the fire with no living speakers. They're gone."
            Defies comment. I just feel a great sadness and sense of loss.

Comment

Horrific to think that linguistic history such as that had not been digitised. Even if government funding was not available, there should have been routes to non profit funding.

Comment

https://twitter.com/matthewchampion/status/1036920107258322945

https://twitter.com/matthewchampion/...20107258322945

Comment

Originally posted by Ek weet nie View Post
                  Horrific to think that linguistic history such as that had not been digitised. Even if government funding was not available, there should have been routes to non profit funding.
                  Dude, this is Brazil. The thieves that make up their elite think Carnegie was a wuss for building libraries as penance for busting unions.

Comment

Working...
                  X