No announcement yet.

Most niche museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also there's a model railway museum in Balboa Park in San Diego that I thoroughly enjoyed and Mrs Thistle thought was "okay".

Comment

I live half an hour's walk from the German Additives Museum - "Additives belong in a museum, not in food" - and I've never been there. I am thoroughly ashamed of myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
        The Museum of Style Icons

World Soil Museum - within easy reach of Logan and Wouter!
        Ooh!

Oh, it's only open on Wednesday afternoon...

Comment

I can only hope that their 'gold circle' of philanthropic donors are called Salt of The Earth.

Comment

Treibeis, outstanding. That is the on-course leader for me right now.

Comment

I was in Dresden four years ago and regret to this day that I didn't find time for the Deutsches-Hygiene Museum. Though I'm not sure it's quite as niche as its name might suggest.

Comment

I’ve done the Moomin Museum, it’s excellent, as is the ice hockey museum nearby. Moomin World is the theme park in Turku that has no rides nor bar, it’s a wander around the woods meeting Moomin and lying in hammocks.

Comment

I'm reminded of the Helsinki bar featuring a tractor for the locals to dance around.

Can be hard to do the Niche Museum in August- it's always in recess

Comment

Not my photo, but here are exhibits at the Japanese Museum Of Rocks That Look Like Faces.

Comment

I've read about that museum. It sounds brilliant.

Comment

In case you missed it on the WTF thread

https://twitter.com/Chan315/status/1...451511812?s=19

https://twitter.com/Chan315/status/1030007153451511812?s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                          I'm reminded of the Helsinki bar featuring a tractor for the locals to dance around.
                          Restaurant Zetor? Nearly went in there this summer but was persuaded that the Hard Rock might be a more reliable choice.

Comment

Zetor’s fine, they serve the food in sauna buckets and are remarkably patient about you posing in the tractors. The only issue is the 70s adult literature they’ve used as wallpaper in the gents which is often awkward to explain to your 4 year old.

Ravintola Harald around the corner is an overpriced tourist trap but you get plastic Viking helmets and the meat comes served on swords, so, you know, is worth it.

Comment

For my recent birthday, mrs stefan gifted me a VIP membership for the Guitar Museum in Umeå. This enables me free entrance for the rest of the year. Only problem is it's 600 km away. I do intend to go there before the year's up, as the collection of quite valuable gear brought together over the years by two regular guys is quite remarkable.

http://www.guitarsthemuseum.com/static/sv/80/

Comment

I liked the Lead toy soldiers museum in Valencia. It's very silly, mind. And until I found that page just now I didn't have a clue that it purported to tell the history of Valencia and Spain. When I went there was quite a large bit given over to something to do with the American Civil War, if my memory isn't playing tricks on me.

Comment

On Saturday I went round the Glasgow Police Museum:

http://www.policemuseum.org.uk/

I went round in a little under an hour, but found it very interesting and the people who run it are all ex-police so make for fascinating conversation. I had a long conversation with one of them about why they think serial killer Peter Tobin is Bible John.

Comment

That ventriloquism museum is probably my worst nightmare.

I have no doubt their former owners were all driven insane when their dummies started speaking to them.

Comment

So, the Pez dispenser museum is 'underwhelming'. Who knew, eh?

I remember seeing Florida's Cypress Knee Museum years ago - 'knees' in this instance being the strange knobbly extensions cultivated into cypress trees by various methods. (I always felt that 'trees with knees' sounded a bit like 'chicks with dicks', but that's just me.) Sadly, said establishment appears to be no more:

https://www.floridaculture.org/cypress-knee-museum.html

(Can somebody perhaps correct the typo in the thread header?)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                                        On Saturday I went round the Glasgow Police Museum:

http://www.policemuseum.org.uk/

I went round in a little under an hour, but found it very interesting and the people who run it are all ex-police so make for fascinating conversation. I had a long conversation with one of them about why they think serial killer Peter Tobin is Bible John.
                                        There is one in Manchester, too. Only open on Tuesdays I think.

We didn't make it to the Coffin Museum, unfortunately. On the plus side, did end up at Akrams in the evening. Thoroughly recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
                                          Not my photo, but here are exhibits at the Japanese Museum Of Rocks That Look Like Faces.

This is simply magnificent.

Comment

In the "one for the tourists" category, I'll nominate the Leprechaun Museum in Dublin

Comment

I think I've posted it here before, and it's certainly relevant again this week, but Buenos Aires has a Museum of Foreign Debt.

Comment

There's a small hedgehog museum as part of St. Tiggywinkles Animal Sanctuary in Aylesbury. It features items like a Sonic the Hedgehog Arcade Machine, hedgehog ornaments etc. The best exhibit by far is a signed picture from the actor who played Dave Hedgehog in Bottom.

Comment

I went to Ilfracombe Museum a few weeks ago and it contained a pickled two-headed kitten and (the curator informed me) the largest collection of early 20th century wedding cakes in the world. Preserved for almost one hundred years. Also has brass rubbings and a large amount of taxidermy as any local museum should.

Comment

My day off is Tuesday. Guess which day of the week the German Additives Museum is closed.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X