Most niche museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most niche museum

Spinning off from the boring places thread, a riff on obscure/niche museums is certainly worthy of it's own thread.

I'll start off with a museum I've mentioned before, the Pele museum, which in itself isn't massively obscure or odd, but it's in Luhansk in Ukraine
    https://ua.igotoworld.com/en/poi_obj...le-lugansk.htm

Already mentioned:
    the Moomin Museum.

the German Cement Museum.
    http://zementmuseum-hemmoor.de/start.html

the Zippo Lighter Museum in Bradford PA
    https://www.zippo.com/pages/zippo-case-museums

Munich's Potato Museum

The Zippo museum is popular. Well, by the standards of Bradford.

Comment

There's a pencil museum in the Lake District.

Comment

Mechanical Music Museum, Northleach, Gloucestershire.

http://www.mechanicalmusic.co.uk/themuseum/

Used to be called "Keith Harding's World of Mechanical Music". I see Keith Harding passed away in 2014. I don't know when they changed the name.

Comment

The Chips Museum in Bruges. It's expensive to get in and rubbish to look at.

Comment

There's a Pez dispenser museum in Burlingame

https://www.burlingamepezmuseum.com/

Comment

I once went to a small museum called Estavayer-le-Lac Museum in Switzerland. The bottom floor was full of stuffed frogs in clothes, posed as humans.

Comment

The Icelandic Phallological Museum. Evidently the largest collection of pricks outside of Capitol Hill.
                Last edited by adams house cat; 31-08-2018, 16:31.

Comment

Yelverton Paperweight Centre

Barometer World (endorsed by Michael Fish)

British Lawnmower Museum
                  Last edited by longeared; 31-08-2018, 16:36.

Comment

I'm sure that Flynnie has fond (and not so fond) memories of the Musée Mécanique, which has very sadly moved from the Cliff House at Ocean Beach to the hyper-touristed Pier 45 by Fishermans' Wharf.

Say hello to Laffing Sal, everyone

Comment

This is a thread to which I’m sure BB&F! can make a significant contribution.

Comment

Wilton in Somerset boasts a Bakelite museum.

Comment

Mrs P has just announced that for her birthday tomorrow she wishes to go to the Coffin Museum in Birmingham. And who am I to argue?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                            The Zippo museum is popular. Well, by the standards of Bradford.
                            Dude, it is the standards of Bradford. That town literally has one fast food franchise. That aside, it's a really well put-together museum/gift shop.

For context, my kids went in kicking and screaming, and walked out smiling with a lighter.

I'm not sure what that says about us as parents, but there it is....

Comment

Happy birthday to Mrs. P. If you were to argue you could find yourself in one of the boxes on display.

Comment

There's a coffin museum in Birmingham?

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                  Mrs P has just announced that for her birthday tomorrow she wishes to go to the Coffin Museum in Birmingham. And who am I to argue?
                                  I hope you've seen her in daylight on at least one occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                    There's a Pez dispenser museum in Burlingame

https://www.burlingamepezmuseum.com/
                                    I have been in that museum. It is - to put it mildly - underwhelming.

Comment

We now have the Museum of Math.

It isn't going to displace the Met or MOMA, but is worth visiting, even for those unfavourably disposed to maths.

Comment

The Museum of Style Icons

World Soil Museum - within easy reach of Logan and Wouter!

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                          There's a pencil museum in the Lake District.
                                          I know, mate. It got me into the Pointless final.

Comment

They do good museums in America. I loved the Charles Schultz Museum in Santa Rosa and the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art in Amherst, Massachusetts.

It's a wide niche but the National Baseball Museum and Hall of Fame in Cooperstown is wonderful as well.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                              I have been in that museum. It is - to put it mildly - underwhelming.
                                              I watched a tour on Comic Book Guys [looks away in embarrassment]

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                                Dude, it is the standards of Bradford. That town literally has one fast food franchise. That aside, it's a really well put-together museum/gift shop.

For context, my kids went in kicking and screaming, and walked out smiling with a lighter.

I'm not sure what that says about us as parents, but there it is....
                                                I’ve been to that fast food place. It’s a McDonald’s IIRC. It’s always cold in Bradford.

Comment

I've been to the Gnome Reserve and garden gnome exhibit in Devon. Lots of gnomes on a woodland walk. Utterly bonkers of course, but enjoyable.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X