Training your online providers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training your online providers

I'm feeling quite chuffed as a favourite retailer has done exactly what I wanted them to do.

I always buy booze from Dan Murphy's, a national retailer who have a well-stocked store locally. I signed up for a member's card and soon began receiving email offers, none of which quite worked for me.

Then one Saturday I bought a couple of bottles of Pinot Noir, and a week later received an email offer to buy a case of 6 higher quality Pinot Noirs at a decent discount. So I did, they were delivered to the doorstep and they're great. They then bombarded me with promotions for other Pinot Noirs. But I wanted Sauvignon Blancs. So I went and bought a couple.

The next week I started getting offers for Sauvignon Blancs, but cases of 12. I don't want 12 of a brand I haven't tried, so waited. Today, an offer for a case of six, again more expensive than the ones I bought in store, but at a great discount and bingo, they're on their way.

Time will tell how well the algorithms work; I like to think I will gradually build a roster with them and continue to receive the right kind of offers.

But today's deal was exactly what I wanted to happen, which feels good.

Have other OTFers been able to educate their online providers?

Are you sure it was you training them, Sits? They've got you buying things just so you can buy more things.

Comment

Well yes but I would have bought something anyway.

No really. I could quit any time.

Comment

This is exactly the kind of thing we do for our (unnamed) US big huge restaurant chain client that you've defo heard of. The offers take two streams: offers for more of the kind of thing you like (to get you to purchase more often / on different nights) and offers for the kind of things you never buy, so we can broaden your menu and perhaps increase the frequency of visit / reduce the risk of burnout. Within a week, you know which offers pulled better and you test again the next week. And the next. And the next.

Comment

That is a little more disappointing for Sits I would imagine. For you and your team of hacks are not an algorithm.

Instagram has me pretty locked down on what I might be tempted to buy, though having misplaced my bluetooth headphones one company is frustratingly resistant to give me a deal on the headphones I want (the new model) rather than the ones I lost.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
            That is a little more disappointing for Sits I would imagine. For you and your team of hacks are not an algorithm.
            Oh, all the data is algo based. We just write the messaging.

Comment

Just got the 40% off deal I was fishing for.

Comment

You're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                  Well yes but I would have bought something anyway.

No really. I could quit any time.
                  You'll know it's gone too far when you find yourself explaining to your dinner party guests just how passionate you are about their brand storytelling and how it really speaks to who you are.

Comment

Working...
                  X