• Show
Clear All

• jameswba
    replied
    A proper wooden summit sign for once.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    This morning, four of us went for a short hike from the village of Turie to a peak called Cipcie. The route up was mostly through coniferous woods, but opened up nicely near the top to give good views to the southern part of the Mala Fatra range. It was a mild morning and the peak was a pleasant sun-trap. On the other hand, it's a bit worrying to barely see any trace of snow in Slovak hills in late December. Below is Cipcie seen through the trees from Turie village.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    And what's known locally as the Gothic Window.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    At Sulov Castle. Hard to tell here which parts are castle and which just rock.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    View from one of the highest points.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    A friend and I went for a wintry morning walk in the Sulov hills today. It's a fun area, with three castle ruins, and some curious rock formations. It was chilly early on, but very pleasant once the sun was up. Here's Hricov, one of the castle ruins...

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Zilina had it all day today, but yesterday only until around 10, when it cleared to give a proper sunny day. It is actually quite a strong motivation for going on a mountain hike.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Love those james (though as someone who lives in a place that is currently sitting in the middle of that milky soup, I loathe inversion with a passion)

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Today's hike up Velky Rozsutec. More inversion!

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Originally posted by Sits View Post
    jameswba lovely photos and glad you’ve recovered.
    Many thanks, Sits.

About the bad weather walking article, there was only the one mention of mountains. It might have been better leaving it out altogether though, as the dangers of being up mountains in high winds or cold, driving rain are all too real.

Still, the main emphasis was on walking in cities or in woods. It reminded me that, although I only walk at night in the rain out of necessity, I always quite enjoy it.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
    Yes I know about this path. Sadly it doesn't really come that close to me (I'm not sure why, if I'd been asked to map a route between those two points it would definitely have taken in a lot of the mountains near me but still, it's a good idea). I'll no doubt eventually walk a part of it, I'm just somewhat opposed to driving an hour and a half or more to start a walk (but, I realise I'm privileged to be able to be in beautiful forests and mountains outside my own gate.)

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    jameswba lovely photos and glad you’ve recovered.

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied
    Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
    Interesting science points but they should maybe have stopped short of encouraging people to "seek out mountains" in poor weather.
    Crap weather is for low level walks, not going up mountains...

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Interesting science points but they should maybe have stopped short of encouraging people to "seek out mountains" in poor weather.

Leave a comment:

• slackster
    replied
    Interesting article in The Grauniad encouraging Rotten Weather walking, which I’m broadly on board with. But then they go on about backwards walking, which seems a rather silly thing to do…Anybody here indulge in public spaces?

Don’t be put off by winter weather – going out into the mud and cold is highly beneficial to our immunity and general health

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied
    Hiking news relevant to Ad Hoc!

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022...l-camino-de-sa

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Suchy from lower down.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    More mountains above cloud - the Velka Fatra range.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Maly Krivan, second highest mountain in this range, from the top of Suchy.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Mountains above the clouds.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Strudel at the first cottage.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    A view onto the River Valley, from a castle ruin.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    I went for my first post-Covid hike today. Up Suchy, one of the nearest peaks to here, and down the other side. It's a personal favourite, partly because there are mountain cottages an hour either side of the summit. And it was a lovely day ; cloud in the valleys, clear skies higher up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X