Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S. aureus
    replied
    Though somebody had left a champagne bottle where that photo was taken, in spite of the recycling bin being a few feet away.

Leave a comment:

• S. aureus
    replied
    10 miles around Arastradero (the peninsula’s most phallic park) and Foothill parks this morning.
    View across the Bay:

Leave a comment:

• Jobi1
    replied
    Had a lovely little circular stomp on Thursday out from Castleton, up Cave Dale then around and up Mam Tor, before descending a bit along the ridge. The Peak District really is quite impressive.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    I also think the Sands news fits better here.

I've thought about him quite a lot in recent days, and especially since I was out (though at much lower altitudes) in not the best winter conditions on Sunday. I love winter hiking, but I have a lot of limitations ; I wouldn't go anywhere I'm unfamiliar with, or where I might be completely alone for long periods, wouldn't walk along exposed ridges etc. I was watching a video last night with a guy reflecting on the disappearances in California. His conclusion was to encourage people not to go up mountains in winter at all, however experienced they (think they) are. The dangers are clear ; the cold, avalanches, poor visibility, the tiredness brought on by trudging through deep snow that can quickly lead to exhaustion, and so on. And other lives get put at risk too. If someone goes missing or gets injured, mountain rescue have to come and look for them, and they are no more immune to the dangers of the mountains than anyone else.

The advice makes objective sense but is never going to work in my local area. People will always go out, and at least that means you get the sense of reassurance, camaraderie etc from seeing others.

Whatever, mountains of all shapes and sizes need a lot of respect.

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied
    Ah, did not check that forum, figured it would fit better in here, my bad...

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
    (Likely) hiking tragedy involving cult actor....

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...nters-11th-day

In a neat inversion of convention, Guy has already started a thread about this: https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...e-of-the-sands
    Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 24-01-2023, 21:50.

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied
    (Likely) hiking tragedy involving cult actor....

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...nters-11th-day

Leave a comment:

• Jobi1
    replied
    Did a decent chunk of the Monsal Trail in the Peak District today. Lovely day for it. Here are the opposite views I got looking down from and then up at the Monsal Head viaduct...

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    I'd like to see those MS, but I'm not on Instagram. I can sometimes upload on this site, sometimes not.

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied
    I was tramping the moors above Hebden Bridge and Todmorden Saturday, fog in the valley, sun up hill and just enough snow to give that satisfying crunching sound without making it a nasty slog...

Can't seem to be able to upload pics here anymore, pics on Instagram if you know me there (or ask me)

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    It was like that here till a week or so ago. Yesterday's hike reminded me of why I should only go to areas I'm familiar with in snow and poor visibility. It's only 400 metres from the top treeline (where the path is clearly marked on trees) to the peak, but it felt like ten times as much.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Still no snow here. It's miserable. And hiking is basically not fun because everything is just mud

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Managed to hike up our nearest peak yesterday, but took a good hour longer than usual after recent heavy snow. No view at all from the top, and visibility was poor. But a winter wonderland in the woods below.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
    The Farallons in the distance
    HOORAY

Leave a comment:

• S. aureus
    replied
    There’s a trail here.

Leave a comment:

• S. aureus
    replied
    The Farallons in the distance:

Leave a comment:

• S. aureus
    replied
    Looking South along the Marin coast:

Leave a comment:

• S. aureus
    replied
    Some views from today’s hike.
    Point Reyes:

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Thanks Sits, and Happy New Year. I don't know if winters ever going to properly start here. Yesterday's walk felt like it could have been in late March.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    jameswba I had missed all yours since the start of December so it’s been a treat catching up.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    And the cottage below Suchy. Food never tastes better than here.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Suchy from below.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    A couple of contrasting mountain hikes around New Year. First, my tenth successive New Year's Eve trip to Velky Rozsutec. It always come high in the list of Slovakia's most beautiful peaks, but had nothing to show us this day, due to the utterly dismal conditions. It was muddy lower down, mild and wet higher up, just generally dismal. Still a sense of achievement in making it all the way up though.

Yesterday, I went to Suchy at the opposite end of the range. Still no snow but a nice frosty day, with fairly clear skies above the lower valley cloud.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    View of Mincol (left) and Krizava, two of the highest points in the southern half of Mala Fatra.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X