No announcement yet.

Backpacks and blisters - the walking thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m going on my first decent day-ramble of the year tomorrow down in Pembrokeshire. I’ve done the Coast Path a few times so attempting an inland stretch taking in a bit of the Landsker Borderland Trail and the Knights Way: Llawhaden>Canaston Bridge>Templeton>Ludchurch>Amroth beach. About 20 miles.

Comment

I am in the Lakes 21st to 25th this month, not making any plans as I am waiting for weather forecast to firm up. At the moment there is a rather decent trend shaping up for high pressure... fingers crossed, a day hiking in sunshine followed by a pint in a beer garden would be delightful!

Comment

A bike ride this morning but here is a picture of the Jubilee Bridge in Runcorn (which I was on minutes later...). Twas rather nippy but also quiet...

Comment

Paul, I hope you're coping OK with that experience.

Richard Okorogheye was on my mind a lot as we were planning our walk. I know the route he took from Loughton up into the forest quite well. It's dark, quiet, and it quickly becomes wild and remote. I've walked around Epping Forest in the dead of night once, and I know how it feels. The thought of him doing this walk alone and never emerging from the forest chills me to the bone. What a goddamn tragedy.

Comment

One of my favourite local hikes to Sz?p Havas (literally beautiful snowy mountain)

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
              Paul, I hope you're coping OK with that experience.

Richard Okorogheye was on my mind a lot as we were planning our walk. I know the route he took from Loughton up into the forest quite well. It's dark, quiet, and it quickly becomes wild and remote. I've walked around Epping Forest in the dead of night once, and I know how it feels. The thought of him doing this walk alone and never emerging from the forest chills me to the bone. What a goddamn tragedy.
              It's on my mind a lot at the moment as well and I keep checking for updates on the case. I have a policy of not posing anything on social media about searches I have been involved in but this one has really got to me. Oddly enough our first day searching was in the evening, in the dark with a line of 35 people 5-10 metres apart. Thirty five f*cking people! That is an incredible number of volunteers from Lowland search and rescue to get together to search an area. Difficult times I'm afraid and I'm hoping for answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post

It's on my mind a lot at the moment as well and I keep checking for updates on the case. I have a policy of not posing anything on social media about searches I have been involved in but this one has really got to me. Oddly enough our first day searching was in the evening, in the dark with a line of 35 people 5-10 metres apart. Thirty five f*cking people! That is an incredible number of volunteers from Lowland search and rescue to get together to search an area. Difficult times I'm afraid and I'm hoping for answers.
                All the best with this Paul.

Comment

Yes, it's a tragic story.

A few pictures from our walk yesterday below. 12km or so from our front-door, upstream along the River Vah to Strecno Castle. It's over a week since I've been in the mountains, but there's probably as much snow higher up as in Ad Hoc's pics, since there were quite substantial falls on Wednesday and Thursday.

Comment

The most prominent hill, called Stranik, is said to offer the best paragliding conditions in central Europe. It was a bit windy yesterday, but we saw two or three paragliders later on.

Comment

The main ridge of the Mala Fatra in the distance.

Comment

Strecno Castle - this was taken a week ago. There are villages on both banks of the river here, but no road crossing for 10km in either direction, so there's a little car-ferry that takes vehicles across for 50 cents or so. Not running currently, due to Covid.

Comment

I meant to ask Ad Hoc if that's a chapel on the first pic. Is it right on the summit?

Comment

Love the castle James. Yes that's a chapel right on the summit. Apparently there was one for centuries there that eventually succumbed to the elements (I presume it will have been made of wood)
                            This one was built there about ten years ago. Depressingly since the last time we went up some twattish Hungarian nationalists have been in and "decorated" it with a map of "Greater Hungary".

It's in a glorious spot overlooking both the Csik Depression where we live and all the way up the Gyimes valley which is this fascinating and remote link between Transylvania and Moldova populated by this ethnic group called the Csango who are claimed by both sides (they are either Romanianised Hungarians or Hungarianised Romanians - but if you ask them they just say "we are Csango")

Comment

ad hoc you could call one of your teams Csik Depression.

So is that Orthodox or Catholic? I remember little round chapels in Cyprus.

Comment

It's Catholic. People round here are very RC.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                  ad hoc you could call one of your teams Csik Depression.
                                  As a supporter of Sheffield Wednesday I really don't need to add the word depression to any of my other teams

Comment

Thanks Ad Hoc, it looks and sounds brilliant.

Talking about nationalist twats up a mountain, one Slovak legend is of Ludovit Stur and a bunch of other C19th activists for Slovak autonomy from Greater Hungary climbing Krivan, the most iconic of the High Tatra peaks.

A few years ago, followers of the more sinister, modern-day nationalist Marian Kotleba decided to imitate Stur's hike. They wheezed their way up the mountain and were pictured with various Slovak nationalist and other neo-fascist regalia at the top.

Later, it had to be broken to them that they'd climbed the wrong Krivan. The one Stur and his mates had climbed is 2,500 metres ASL or thereabouts. Kotleba's disciples had climbed its namesake in the Mala Fatra, whose summit is 800 metres or so lower.

Comment

A good one today, 9km, which doesn’t reconcile with this board. Parked at the top end of the Salvation Loop, walked down the road to the bottom end and started there. Followed the loop as far as the Wallaroo Branch then followed that to its end point above Cowan Point. Back along Wallaroo but then using the northern loop to finish at the car. Lovely day, sunny but only about 18C and not humid. Yeomans’s Branch looked overgrown and unpromising.

Last edited by Sits; 12-04-2021, 09:21.

Comment

Comment

This is where I had my lunch. Copious lava flows criss-cross the National Park and they make excellent picnic tables/blankets. Top left, a glimpse of the Pacific. That will be Avalon, Whale or Newport Beach.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                                            I’m going on my first decent day-ramble of the year tomorrow down in Pembrokeshire. I’ve done the Coast Path a few times so attempting an inland stretch taking in a bit of the Landsker Borderland Trail and the Knights Way: Llawhaden>Canaston Bridge>Templeton>Ludchurch>Amroth beach. About 20 miles.
                                            Well, that was a good stroll. I guess any walk that starts at a castle and ends at a beach is likely to be pleasant in decent-ish weather.

I was intrigued by a place called Blackpool Mill on the Eastern Cleddau River. Part of a big old landed gentry estate called Slebech Park, which predictably had slavery links in the C18. Listed and still contains some old flour mill workings inside, but due to be converted into some sort of restaurant/lodging venue by a nearby holiday lodge site. I shall return to see the other Estate castles, mansions and ruins.

Comment

Well, I am on the way to Bangor in Wales, a full backpack sits near me on the rather busy train. A short taxi ride will take me above Bethesda and then onwards and upwards to the Carneddau mountains. Got my new tent to test properly, an excellent forecast and guaranteed peace and space...

Nice pics to follow...

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
                                                Well, I am on the way to Bangor in Wales, a full backpack sits near me on the rather busy train. A short taxi ride will take me above Bethesda and then onwards and upwards to the Carneddau mountains. Got my new tent to test properly, an excellent forecast and guaranteed peace and space...

Nice pics to follow...
                                                There are Bangor to Bethesda buses, you know.

Comment

If you get a chance for a pint in Bethesda tell us where. I soent two or three great years there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

There are Bangor to Bethesda buses, you know.
                                                    I know, been on it a few times but i fancied treating myself!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X