• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splendid stuff Cal!

Comment

Got a bit wintry

Comment

Much better to belooking at these than banging on about VAR in the football forum. Beautiful - and you have a good sprinkling of snow. Our mountains seem to have too.

We were out for a walk yesterday, but not up high. I think there are snowcaps visible in the distance.

Comment

Lucky man Andy, nothing but mud here....

Comment

Once again, beautiful stuff.

ad hoc are those local yobbos doing a bloody snowman then?

Comment

Went up Klak today, the southernmost main peak in the Mala Fatra. The cloud refused to lift all day, but walking up through gently falling snow was pleasant enough. Nothing visible on the top except the ever-reassuring summit sign, a few ghostly-looking rocks and one or two other rosy-faced hikers. A waterfall on the way down was the visual highlight.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

That looks like a good wintry walk!

Mini-break booked in Cumbria for mid-December, fingers crossed I have some decent weather. Short drive from Coniston, might take the missus up Wetherlam, an excellent and quietish hill.

Comment

Look forward to seeing some pictures from that, MS. Hope you get some views.

Comment

I'm back on the South West Coast Path walking from Falmouth to Wembury. Yesterday I arrived in Truro by sleeper train and went to get the ferry from Falmouth to St Mawes only to discover it was cancelled for the day due to a broken water pump. So I took a train and bus to Porthscatho where I picked up the path from there.

This morning walking from Portholland I took an inland route to due 50mph winds and heavy rain and this evening I am in Charlestown for the night which is absolutely delightful. The harbour at Charlestown :

Comment

Lovely, Paul. Are you in a hotel now?

Comment

Yes but getting a pint is difficult as everyone is ordering food.

Comment

I hope we're all singing "Paul S is going to Wembury, his knees have gone all trembly"

Comment

It's a nice idea but I'm to tired to go down the pub at the moment.

Comment

Paul S is that the Bay View Hotel? I recognise the angle of your view. Stayed there many times.

Get your pint from the Rashleigh Arms one block up the hill. St. Austell Ales, or it used to be.

Between ages 6 and 16 we had our summer holidays in Charlestown as my Dad’s old work mate ran the sub Post Office and stores (before that the Spar - as was - across the road from the pub). It was like a second home and I had mates there, I would return to Berkshire with a bit of an accent.

Now of course it’s Poldark-ville.

In The Eagle Has Landed (spoilers) Donald Sutherland gets thrown out of the window of the Pier House Hotel (the white one down on the right with the big carriage lamp) and Robert Duvall gets shot by a firing squad down on the beach.
                                    Last edited by Sits; 05-12-2020, 22:55.

Comment

And finally, just out of shot on the right, where the cliff path climbs away from the harbour, there’s an iron kiss gate. To the left are the remains of an old 18th or 19th Century battery wall. My brother and I scattered my Dad’s ashes there in 1998. And in 2018 my wife, my daughter and I scattered my brother’s there too.
                                      Last edited by Sits; 06-12-2020, 05:56.

Comment

The cliff path between the harbour and the battery is closed due to a landslip meaning a mile long diversion on the roads. Not pleasant.

Comment

That’s a bloody long way round.

Comment

I had forgotten what a beautiful city Plymouth is, seen here from above Millbrook with my shadow in the way.

Comment

More beautiful from that distance I reckon. So is that the end of a stage for you Paul, with Cornwall behind you?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                    X