No announcement yet.

Backpacks and blisters - the walking thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are trying to make as many weekday hikes as we can before we have to return to the "classroom." Yesterday we hit one of many trails in the Manzano Mountains. Did not see a soul the duration of the hike, but saw a deer and the real highlight was witnessing a mama bear and her two cubs. Fortunately for us she scooted up the hill and we were very cautious for the rest of the hike.

Can't really identify these bugs.

Comment

This looks and sounds magnificent CA. Are they black bears where you are? My one bear sighting in Slovakia is a thrill to look back on, though I'd be happy if there's never a repeat.

I walked up Chleb in the Mala Fatra today. I posted pics from there a couple of months back, but I went from the opposite side today. The route starts off horribly as you have to walk the first kilometre or so along a main road, but it gets better. There is Sutovo Waterfall and then you follow the stream that feeds it all the way up to its spring.

If you've met no bears by this point, you're probably going to be fine. Most exciting wildlife encounter today was a female adder gliding into the undergrowth in front of me. I assume she sensed my presence but didn't seem in any great hurry.

Comment

Sutovo waterfall.

Comment

The spring. Its local name is Moses' Spring

Comment

Chleb from just below.

Comment

And from the top

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
                This looks and sounds magnificent CA. Are they black bears where you are?
                They were black bears, not too large, but their fur was actually brown, which is not unusual.

Lovely shots - that's a beautiful waterfall.

Comment

Splendid hiking pics chaps, either places would make my day...

Comment

That's great EEG, happy for you and your wife.

Walked to Camden today and went via St. Pancras Old Churchyard. Here's the Hardy Tree.

https://twitter.com/komodomymanor/status/1288437309046693889/photo/1

Comment

I looked up the mountain range where Cal Alamein was. It looks like a wilderness experience.

By contrast, some of Slovakia's mountain areas are in danger of being over-touristed. This is especially true of the High Tatras, the country's highest, best-known range. I saw some photos from one of the peaks there yesterday and it looked almost like those awful ones we've seen from Everest, with bottleneck queues in places.

There's one cable-lift for the Mala Fatra and the queues for that at opening time (which I also saw pics of) also looked dispiritingly long. There's still solitude to be found if you walk up though - I only met four other people in a 2-hour stretch between the waterfall and just below the peak.

My theory is that these mountains only ever really attract locals, Czechs and Poles and these groups are visiting in greater numbers than usual at this time of year as they are forsaking holidays in places like Italy and Croatia due to Covid.

Comment

Time to start a new long distance path and today I was in Barton-Upon-Humber to start The Viking Way.

Comment

Comment

Good work everyone, enjoy the solitude Paul.

Comment

Had my first outing since lockdown this weekend, up the highest points (or as close as we could get without jumping a couple of fences) in Berkshire (Walbury Hill) and Hampshire (Pilot Hill). Nothing too strenuous or scenic, just nice to get into the country for a day.

I'm on a very slow quest to walk the county tops in England and Wales; the highest point in each county (or unitary authority).

Here's the view from Walbury Hill.

Comment

Being a proud Surrey man, albeit a misinformed one, when I discovered that Walbury Hill was 9ft higher than Leith Hill and thus the highest natural point in SE England, I was absolutely gutted.

Comment

It's due to be 29C on Friday, I might have to cut this walk back a bit, I can't walk in that sort of heat.

Comment

I walked past the Ramblers Church in Walesby this morning and also past this fire beacon. The walk meandered round the Lincolnshire Wolds where I am spending the night sleeping in a micro pod.

Comment

Comment

Cracking little shelter there!

Comment

I've reached Wellingore where after 95 miles on the Viking Way I have decided to call it a day. Tomorrow the temperature is due to be 85-90F which I don't fancy walking in. I shall complete the walk another time.

I found another trig point today, this one is on the Viking Way between Waddington and Harmston.

Comment

This is from our Lake District holiday last month. My records aren't great, but I think it's taken from near Alcock Tarn (above Grasmere village on the side of the western limb of the Fairfield horseshoe), looking due west (probably around 6pm ish) over Silver How. The prominence midway along the dark horizon several miles distant is Harrison Stickle I think.
                                            Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 09-08-2020, 20:10.

Comment

I get goose pimples out of pictures like that!

Comment

Whereas I'm baffled by the lack of picture...

Comment

For some reason the picture has disappeared.

Comment

I’m on the edge of my seat after Paul said it gave him goosebumps.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X