No announcement yet.

Backpacks and blisters - the walking thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The glimpses of faraway water in those pics are very beguiling.

I was supposed to accompany a small group on a hiking trip today, but we called it off due to the threat of storms. Storms in the mountains are obviously no fun, but it's now midday and the storms haven't materialised, which is somewhat frustrating. Still, at least when you live near the mountains, you can count on there being other days.

Comment

Some great photo's there SITS, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thanks. Did spam the board somewhat on two different threads.

Comment

Also somewhat fraudulent after just a 4 mile hike round the Ingleton waterfalls walk today, but a couple of days' rain made the falls quite photogenic, even if the uplands were largely invisible under cloud.

Comment

Wonderful. I love waterfalls.

Comment

I have never been on that walk, despite being in that area a zillion times! It's a private land walk so there is a fee to be paid I gather.

Comment

Lovely pictures there, I'm getting jealous of these places whilst I'm still stuck in the flatland's of Essex.

Comment

Not long until I go to Cumbria. I am keeping an eye on weather models...

Comment

Please keep us posted on your thoughts on that front MS - I'll be in Cumbria myself for a couple of weeks from Friday 10th with wife and daughter - a week near Ullswater then a week near Grasmere. Hope to get lots of hill walking done. Our 9 year old has great fitness and stamina, and no doubt better balance than I have, especially when I'm carrying the whole family's stuff including several litres of water for the hydro-holic missus, so she won't limit us at all, not sure how much of a trek my wife will feel up to though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                      You're right. There's something about them - I could watch them for hours.

Comment

This. Lovely stuff TRL.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                          Please keep us posted on your thoughts on that front MS - I'll be in Cumbria myself for a couple of weeks from Friday 10th with wife and daughter - a week near Ullswater then a week near Grasmere. Hope to get lots of hill walking done. Our 9 year old has great fitness and stamina, and no doubt better balance than I have, especially when I'm carrying the whole family's stuff including several litres of water for the hydro-holic missus, so she won't limit us at all, not sure how much of a trek my wife will feel up to though.
                          I will. I will be there from 13th myself

Comment

Early on Saturday I walked from 14.5 miles from East London to Wimbledon for a barbecue. It was well worth taking the detour via St Paul's, Fleet Street, Strand and Whitehall to see such familiar places again and with hardly anyone around.

I still can't believe that Mercedes have the cheek to call their showroom in Wandsworth 'Mercedes Chelsea'.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty Trin View Post
                              Early on Saturday I walked from 14.5 miles from East London to Wimbledon for a barbecue. It was well worth taking the detour via St Paul's, Fleet Street, Strand and Whitehall to see such familiar places again and with hardly anyone around.

I still can't believe that Mercedes have the cheek to call their showroom in Wandsworth 'Mercedes Chelsea'.

Good going, that.

I think that Battersea was "South Chelsea" to estate agents at one point.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
                                I have never been on that walk, despite being in that area a zillion times! It's a private land walk so there is a fee to be paid I gather.
                                Yeah, it's 7 quid. It would be possible to walk up the road from Ingleton to Falls Park caravan site and then come back down the second half of the trail for free as no one is checking tickets. In happier times when the virus has fucked off and it isn't a one-way route, you could take the same road and go anticlockwise at the caravan park to head back down the first part of the trail, provided you didn't mind retracing your steps to avoid reaching the ticket office back at the car park.

Thanks for the compliments on the photos, all.

Comment

I think that Battersea was "South Chelsea" to estate agents at one point.
                                  Bachelsea...

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post

Yeah, it's 7 quid. It would be possible to walk up the road from Ingleton to Falls Park caravan site and then come back down the second half of the trail for free as no one is checking tickets. In happier times when the virus has fucked off and it isn't a one-way route, you could take the same road and go anticlockwise at the caravan park to head back down the first part of the trail, provided you didn't mind retracing your steps to avoid reaching the ticket office back at the car park.

Thanks for the compliments on the photos, all.

And for anyone thinking of visiting Ku Ring Gai Chase National Park, entry was $12 Australian. But if you walk in from a 'burb like ad hoc it'll be free.

Now you're prepared.

Comment

Cautious optimism for a UK high influencing weather as of next Saturday. Duration unknown yet, lots of scatter in models past Tuesday but some show something lasting a bit longer.

I have actually looked for Sunday night accomodations (our cottage is available from Monday afternoon) a short drive from Wasdale with our big hike planned for Monday as thing stands. Giving it an extra two days before making a final decision.

Comment

Magnificent waterfalls there. I got up early today to hike up Velky Rozsutec, my favourite local mountain. Well, I thought it was early, but I met two guys who'd been at the top as the sun rose.

Comment

The view from the village of Stefanova, the starting point.

Comment

From higher up.

Comment

At the top ; the obligatory crooked sign. No self-respecting Slovak mountain can be without one of these

Comment

The view of the main ridge of the Mala Fatra range.

Comment

Stoh, the neighbouring peak. It has an almost identical altitude to Rozsutec, but almost nothing else in common with it. They make a great contrast pictured together from afar.

Comment

I'm jealous. What's the temperature like there?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X