Backpacks and blisters - the walking thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sensible.

Nice Cornish weather Paul, hope it stays dry for you.

Comment

I suppose this is the thread to mention it, but the person who introduced both Garcia and myself to this board, (a poster who went by the name of thunderclap newman, among other names that I can't remember) fell and hit his head while hiking in the comeragh mountains, He seems to have died nearly instantly. He and his wife were both Psychiatrists, and they were living down near where I came from, because it was halfway between where they worked. He was a lovely sweet, thoughtful considerate humane man, who managed to wear his enormous multi-faceted intelligence and accomplishments so lightly. I lost a certain degree of contact with him after I moved back to galway, but he was very helpful and supportive when I was in hospital. He leaves three kids

Don't put off getting back in contact with people. They or you might be dead tomorrow.

Comment

That's bloody awful news. Sincere condolences.

Comment

Ah shit that's terrible. Really sorry to hear that TAB. Condolences to you, Garcia and anyone else who knew him.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
            I suppose this is the thread to mention it, but the person who introduced both Garcia and myself to this board, (a poster who went by the name of thunderclap newman, among other names that I can't remember) fell and hit his head while hiking in the comeragh mountains, He seems to have died nearly instantly. He and his wife were both Psychiatrists, and they were living down near where I came from, because it was halfway between where they worked. He was a lovely sweet, thoughtful considerate humane man, who managed to wear his enormous multi-faceted intelligence and accomplishments so lightly. I lost a certain degree of contact with him after I moved back to galway, but he was very helpful and supportive when I was in hospital. He leaves three kids

Don't put off getting back in contact with people. They or you might be dead tomorrow.

That's dreadfully sad news, TAB. My sincere condolences to you and Garcia.

Comment

Yes, same here TAB that’s tragic.

Comment

Horrible news Colm.

Comment

Sorry to hear that TAB.

Comment

Dreadful news TAB.

Comment

Awful news TAB, it can happen so quickly up there...

Comment

Porthcothan to Holywell today, 16 miles through Newquay and a crossing of the beautiful Gannel estuary. At low tide you use a bridge and then climb across the sand to Crantock. Windy weather today and a bit exposed on the cliff tops but I just focused on the path and kept going.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Took time off the beach for a hike in the mountains of Gran Canaria...Incredible experience!

Comment

I've finished walking Bude to St Ives but unfortunately the last couple of days have been marred by toothache. I saw seals with two pups on the rocks below, the pups were still white. Hayle estuary is fantastic but St Ives is full of tourists so I didn't stay long. Back in February for another week on the path.

Comment

Nice photos chaps.

Comment

Good work Paul, hope your tooth gets sorted.

Any sign of the guy with seven wives?

Comment

Just finished the Annapurna Circuit 10 days ago. Wanted to show it to MrsCJ before it changed too much because of the road building but maybe left it a couple of years too late. Blimey it’s changed since I was there last.

The road (jeep track mostly) will will help develop some very poor areas but the flip side is that the majority of trekkers are jeeping straight down to Pokhara from Jomsom the day after crossing the high pass, so hitting the tea houses of the dozen or so villages on the ‘down’ side. OTOH, generally the place was busier than 7 years ago.

It’s no wilderness experience but MrsCJ overcame her fear of cable bridges and cliff-paths and there’s nothing to match the high Himalayas for sheer gasp factor.

Comment

Trying to post a couple more pictures but Indian rural WiFi and posting from a phone are conspiring against me. Maybe some other time.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

How high did you get Chris?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X