No announcement yet.

Backpacks and blisters - the walking thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liberal application of glide helps as well. On occasion I have used KT tape for key spots that get problems (for me, strangely, the inside at the arch).

Comment

Soaking feet in White Spirit or urine also hardens skin to prevent blisters, if have blisters pop them with heated needle, cleanse with antiseptic and pop on a compeed plaster.

Worked for me.

Comment

Once I've got blisters, I find that Compeed is a spectacularly good product. But I feel like (and I can't tell if this is all in my head) the US version is way less sticky - and therefore less good - than the stuff I used to get in Britain.

Comment

I must be afflicted with the same thing, as I have the same sense vis-a-vis the Continental version.
          Last edited by ursus arctos; 27-08-2018, 16:04.

Comment

Site:Thanks for asking but the feet were a bit wet today.

I walked from Taylinoan to Carradale today. In Carradale I found the shop I had intended to get a re-supply from had closed down two weeks ago. I had lunch in a local pub and was advised Campbeltown is the only option to buy food. I used booking.com to find a place to stay but after scrolling through the £150-180 a night hotels I found a place to stay. Bad news it was 13 miles from Campbeltown, good news it is in Carradale where I am right now. Tomorrow I will get the bus and miss out a section, I can't walk without food.

In other bad news the MV Isle of Arran is stuck in dry dock. It went in for emergency propeller repairs but is now stuck behind another vessel which is booked in for scheduled maintenance and CalMac don't know when they will get it back. This means they don't know whether this weekends Campbeltown - Ardrossan sailing will run of not. Have a look at the latest status on their website for a bit of a giggle as they try to explain what's happened without really saying it.

I am now booked on Fridays Campbeltown - Glasgow flight with Loganair. If all CalMac sailings are cool, are Loganair flights really, really cool?

<clutching at straws>

Comment

If you can get your hands on a cream called Cavilon (it's not freely available, used in hospitals for immobile patients to prevent bed sores) it does work well to prevent blisters.

Comment

Cavlon is available on Amazon.

UA, SB if you want some compeed put in the post you only need ask.

Comment

There you are, missus seemed to think it was not readily available in the UK....

Comment

Southend Mull of Kintyre is nothing like Southend Essex, that is all I will say about today. Machrihanish tomorrow and the end. I've always wanted to visit Machrihanish as I have an interest in old mining and the Campbeltown coalfield has fascinated me for years. I hope to find some old mining remains somwhere, maybe a bricked up entry to the old drift, a slag heap, coal heap, anything really.

Comment

See if you can spot the light vessel.

Comment

Well, I'll be spending next week on the Isle of Arran, very much looking forward to have fun on Goat Fell as it happens!

Comment

Have fun on the Isle of Arran MS and enjoy the glaciation, push moraine everywhere if I remember my geography lessons correctly. However, be prepared for delays on getting to the island as live ships map shows the MV Isle of Arran is still in dry dock at Gourock.

Comment

Eeek! I was perusing walk reports earlier, got two hikes sorted, kinear ones, both with a good scramble to play with. Also noted the top of Goatfell is amenable to a tent pitch...

The forecast looks rather good too...

Comment

If you're a foot passenger you'll be OK, but if you are a taking a car, you're screwed.

Comment

I have checked Calmac, there are cancellations of some services up until tomorrow but not all. The ship repair is complete, she should be back in service by end of the week. Booked today, for csr and it went through. I think i should make it but thanks for the heads-up, keeping an eye on it!

Comment

The MV Isle of Arran failed its sea trials overnight and there are more cancellations today. Good luck with getting onto Arran, especially with a car.

Comment

No worries, got lucky, my sailing is not cancelled!

Comment

Heh, have a great time MS. Be prepared for the fact that, while Arran is gorgeous and friendly like other Scottish islands I've been to, it's also rather, um, chintzy. Defo the Dorset of Scotland (this includes the coastal walking being great).

Regarding footwear I'm firmly in the trainers camp for non-winter conditions. Used to use Innov8s then Montrail, both did a fine job. I found boots with liners to be pretty useless, but waterproof socks on the other hand are good.

Comment

Just back from some time visiting the mum-in-law down near Tenby (which these days turns into a stag & hen hellhole on weekend nights), and did 3 day walks along southerly sections of the Pembs Coast Path. I’ve walked the whole thing before, but it’s my favourite bit of visited coastline in the UK. Was dawdling, mind, and never did more than 10 miles per day.

My summer local path challenge is the High Weald Landscape Trail. Again, being done sectionally as day walks, and have 3 more western-end sections to tick off before the clocks go back.

And off to Marrakech tomorrow for the first time, where we’ll also be doing a couple of days walking in the nearby Atlas Mountains with overnight stops in berber guesthouses. That’ll be with a local guide and small group, mind.

Comment

Cheers DM, i have been there brfore years ago, i agree on the chintzy comment, golf is quite big too there...More reasons to bugger off up the hills!

Comment

Parked up, awaiting boarding, the Isle of Arran is moored in the side being repaired. Our ferry not here yet.

Good to be back in Scotland and looking fwd, after a long hiatus, to a Calmac sailing!

Comment

Glen Sannox, The Saddle, North Goatfell and Goatfell today...superb hike, bus to Sannox and back down in Brodick. Lots of scrambling, scenery to die for and superb weather, with a stiff breeze keeping the midges away.

More of this please...

Comment

More ferry problems on the way back, had to rebook but thanks to the cottage owner i was made aware quite early about the issue, the Calmac txt came late and at a time when i had no reception...

Otherwise Arran was a joy, we did a mix of activities, with just one big mountain hike but got to visit Holy Island (and indeed clamber its small but entertaining hill) and enjoyed a costal walk rich in geological interest, especially we bumped into an actual geologist who gave us a little tour. The weather was pretty nice, just a couple of showery days but otherwise plenty of sun, got the tan to prove it...

The chintz factor has toned down a bit, if you ever visit, go to Corrie and eat at Mara fish bar, delightful food, lots of korean inspired seafood dishes and their version of Mac and cheese is to die for. Even got my wife to try an oyster...and she liked it.

Fucking midges were still hungry mind...

Oh, if you like Baileys, get your hands on Arran Gold, much better...

Comment

Made the 4000m summit of Mt Toubkal in the Moroccan High Atlas in the week, with an overnight camp before scrambling up the last couple of kms of rough scree to the top. All the gear/food was taken up & down by mule to the base camp from Imlil village at 2000m, the cooking & tent pitching was all done for us, and we had a local guide to steer us, so it was mostly just a pleasant stroll amongst amazing scenery in fine weather.

Comment

When I was about six, I walked up Moel Famau with my father and two of my uncles. My father was wearing a ridiculous pair of flared trousers, which split just after we'd reached the top of the hill.

Every time my father opened his mouth during the descent, my uncles said, "What do you want, P.J. Proby?"

When I asked what a P.J. Proby was, they said, "You don't want to know, you just don't want to know." Which was untrue, as, at that moment, it was the ONLY thing I wanted to know.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X