Backpacks and blisters - the walking thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
    Correct, popular paths are so because they tend to be quite good...

How did you manage with water? Filter? Stopping at the village well?

Most of the way, there was a river running alongside which I bathed in, washed my clothes in and the water of whcih I boiled for tea, coffee, rice etc. In each village along the way there was usually at least one food store and often a market. It wasn't the desert, let's say, but pretty green and luscious most of the way. Dead poor though. There were village wells too, and quite a bit of rain during the 16 days which was most refreshing.

Comment

Sporting that sounds fantastic, please tell us more!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
        Sporting that sounds fantastic, please tell us more!
        With pleasure but I don't want to take up the whole thread with my experiences. I've got a word document somewhere with the whole story...not sure if it's possible to attach it to here in some way, yours truly not being the best computer bod!

Comment

Would be delighted to read it. Ping Snake Plisken on here, he is the IT God of the board, should you need help!

Comment

This is an enjoyable thread.

The northern half of Slovakia is a brilliant region for walking. I've got two mountain ranges within less than an hour's travel, the Velka Fatra and Mala Fatra, with plenty of peaks of 1,500+ metres. Slightly further away are the two Tatra national parks, the High Tatras and Low Tatras. All are fine areas for wildlife spotting (though I've still only managed one bear sighting). All are dotted with mountain cabins/cottages for overnight stays, so probably a few more creature comforts than on Sporting's trek.

Comment

Sporting, you can’t attach a Word doc to a post here. I suggest you cut and paste from your document and create several posts here on OTF by that means.

Comment

Thanks! I don't intend to clutter up this good board with a very long and probably very tedious account of a walk I did quite some time back but for anyone who is interested I put the account all on a wordpress thingy, here:

https://wordpress.com/post/centralaf...ordpress.com/9

Comment

Sorry to be an arsehole, Sporting, but I reckon the correct link points to here.

Comment

You're not an arsehole at all. Thanks!

Comment

Sporting, it's hard for me to recall a new poster who has made such valuable contributions in his or her first weeks here.

It's great to have you around.

Comment

Yes I was thinking along similar lines earlier. Thanks for the link Sporting. I will look forward to the opportunity to read it properly.

Comment

That's a great piece of writing Sporting. Thanks so much for sharing it

Comment

That was quite a read, certainly a backpack like no other i have read before!

Your love for Africa, despite all its problems, shines through.

Comment

Completely puny compared to Sporting's walk, but did 10 miles up and down the cliffs from Sidmouth to Exmouth today. Headwind all the way, blowing in a warm breeze which at least made it more pleasant given that I was wearing shorts in the rain.

Passing the firing range at Sandy Bay there was a sign saying "RING BELL". Given that it was MoD property it took a lot of effort on my part not to do so.

Comment

A dreadful day today walking in pouring rain and strong winds. My ferry from Arran back to the Kintyre peninsula was delayed by the sea swell and a longer crossing. This meant I missed the last ferry to Gigha and am now camping at the ferry terminal car park where there is free CalMac WiFi. Across to Carradale tomorrow to camp again.

Comment

This belongs on here I think.

Comment

Fantastic stuff from Sporting.

It's not a patch on Sporting, of course, but my favourite walking trip was 5 days in the Otztal Alps, going from hut to hut. I can't recommend the Austrian and Italian Alpine huts enough.

Comment

My cousin runs one in the Rhetic Alps, the Bernina area of the Italian/Swiss Alps, always enjoy going to visit him

Comment

Thanks for everyone's comments on my piece of writing.

I'm interested, actually, on what people use for footwear on longish walks. Obviously, if you are going up a mountain, boots are essential, but for flatter stuff I've read various accounts of folk going with sandals, trainers, flip-flops or even barefoot. Boots protect the feet but maybe don't toughen them up enough? No idea. And - as someone tentatively planning some kind of long walk in a year's time or so - what have you found the best solution to prevent/cure blisters?

Comment

Don't you have to piss in your boots before you put them on for the first time? Or is that just soldiers before they go yomping?

Comment

One of the UK most "famous" backpackers, Chris Townsend, has long given up on boots (except when up going up snowy hills/mountains) and recommends shoes/sandals. He has done some pretty big walks with sandals, that included some serious mountains as it happens.

The accepted norms for summer wildcamping amongst those I know is to use mesh trail running trainers, like La Sportiva Raptor. I personnaly use Adidas Terrex trail running shoes. The idea is to have ample venting and it does not matter if the feet wet out as it dries quickly (unlike footwear which has a wateproof membrane in it). Those shoes are also very light.

Mind, this summer I used a pair of Scarpa Nitro boots during my Italian hiking holiday anddespite the goretex liner they proved to be very breathable, they are super light and they handled the rough terrain of the Alps with sterling efficiency. Very happy with them, superbly confortable too.

Comment

Was going to suggest that MS is our in house expert on hiking footwear, but see he has already come through.

In a similar vein, I have been very happy with Merrell’s Moab line, which are slightly heavier than a trail runner (while still saving pounds over my traditional boots) but provide better support for my problematic feet. They also have an ankle height version if one is prone to turning ankles.

As to blisters, I was raised to see them as inevitable, but believe that good fitting shoes are the best tool to minimize them. If you are planning a serious walk, I would definitely recommend getting fitted by a reliable purveyor.

Comment

Blisters...good venting, good socks, shoes that fit well prevent them for a while but ultimately, they are inevitable as UA says...

Comment

How are Paul's feet today I wonder?

Comment

I last wore hiking boots about 10 years ago. When I last moved house I realised that they were basically unused and threw them out. I've moved to trail runners, mostly. I do have a pair of very clompy Merrells hiking shoes for snowy conditions, otherwise I'm in Saucony Peregrines at the moment and find them to be very, very good.

What I find key for reducing blisters (other than sensible pacing and not bombing down hills) is having really good socks (and sock liners), and replacing the inserts in the shoe with something more solid and more specific to my feet.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X