X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
    Lydford Gorge is one of my favourite places in the country. It's actually classed as a rainforest.
    I seem to remember going to Lydford Gorge during a geology field trip to the West Country when I was at school.

We viewed some pillow lava (not fresh) in a farmer's garden.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Lydford Gorge is one of my favourite places in the country. It's actually classed as a rainforest.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Lovely. O Brother, Where Art Thou? immediately springs to mind.

Leave a comment:

• Cal Alamein
    replied
    Hiked the Armijo Trail in the Sandias today and saw our first horny toad in many years. This is a young one.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Wouldn't be the first time that a Sheffield Wednesday fan has talked bullocks...

Leave a comment:

• JoeysToe
    replied
    I'm not a bovine expert but that looks like a load of bullocks.

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    hello ladies

Leave a comment:

• delicatemoth
    replied
    It was one of the first places I went when I got into walking, nearly 20 years ago now. I planned to alternate camping and staying in a hostel. Luckily I got there early afternoon because when I went to pitch my tent (on a site) I'd forgotten the poles, but I still had time to get to the hostel a few miles away (near Bellever Tor).

Speaking of hostels, I read somewhere that a bunch are closing which is a great shame.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
    That's what I get for giving it a vaguely clever title.
    Either way it’s great news. Love Dartmoor and I recommend the Peter Tavy Inn for dinner. Based on 2018. Otherwise the Castle (I think it’s called, it’s near the castle*) in Lydford.

*which is actually a Norman jail. There’s also an even older font in the church.

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied
    Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
    I can't remember what the thread was called so I'm posting in this one. The Court of Appeal has overturned the ban on wild camping on Dartmoor issued after that landowner got arsey. If it gets a little warmer I may head down there with my tent and have a three day responsible ramble.
    Indeed, now the whole country knows you can go there, legally, to wildcamp, which could be quite funny (and tragic as there are way too many people who don't care about the 'code')

Leave a comment:

• delicatemoth
    replied
    That's what I get for giving it a vaguely clever title.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Le voilà

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...-century-style

Leave a comment:

• delicatemoth
    replied
    I can't remember what the thread was called so I'm posting in this one. The Court of Appeal has overturned the ban on wild camping on Dartmoor issued after that landowner got arsey. If it gets a little warmer I may head down there with my tent and have a three day responsible ramble.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Velky Krivan (slightly bigger brother of Maly Krivan) under shadows.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    And the reverse : Suchy from Maly Krivan.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Maly Krivan from Suchy.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Reached my physical limits today, I think. 18km hike up to and along the Mala Fatra ridge. Main peaks are Suchy (1,468m) and Maly Krivan (1,671m). But first stop is a cottage below Suchy, where they keep some friendly goats (plus equally friendly dogs, cats etc).
    Last edited by jameswba; 09-07-2023, 17:35.

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    Is that what you'd call a double Trig?

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied
    Windy day on Moel Gyw in the Clwydian Range....

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    That post is known as the Maypole and the wooden bits nailed to it are so fisherman know how high the water is. It's one of the very few posts out on the Broomway.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    I think that Paul's trying to tell us that he's stuck in the mud.

Leave a comment:

• Furtho
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul S View Post
    Today I walked part of the Broomway supposed to be Britain's most dangerous path. It connects the mainland with Foulness and was the only way until the MOD built a bridge in 1922. Until then horses and carriages went over the sand-flats in convoy with people and produce. The path goes off and runs parallel with the land about 400 yards offshore. This doesn't sound very dangerous until you consider that in thick mist or fog you had no idea where the land or sea were and over a hundred people have died on the path.
    This route is covered in Robert Macfarlane's book The Old Ways.

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X