No announcement yet.

Backpacks and blisters - the walking thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google maps suggests 12 hours by car, 33 hours by public transport (though I think it's wrong about the latter. I reckon I could do it in less than 24 by train)
    Arguably we're in the same mountain range though

Comment

Well I hope it can happen one day.

Comment

A search comes up with 8.5 hours as the fastest possible train journey from Zilina to Bucharest. Even if that's just travelling time, it's wildly optimistic - I've never got to Budapest in less than 6 hours.

Ad Hoc is about 200km from Bucharest if I've got the right place(?)

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
          A search comes up with 8.5 hours as the fastest possible train journey from Zilina to Bucharest. Even if that's just travelling time, it's wildly optimistic - I've never got to Budapest in less than 6 hours.

Ad Hoc is about 200km from Bucharest if I've got the right place(?)
          There's no way that there is any train that gets from Zilina to Bucharest in 8.5 hours. The fastest train from Budapest to Bucharest is 15 hours 34 minutes, then tack on the Slovakian section.

I'm 250 km north of Bucharest (closest town is Miercurea Ciuc / Csikszereda). There's a direct train from here to Budapest, but that takes at least 13 hours too

Comment

Deutsche Bahn's timetable app gives a number of possibilities for Zilina-Bucharest in the 21h45 to 22h30 range, which sounds more realistic

Comment

Yes, that 8.5 hours would be nonsense even if there was some mega-fast train that cut out Budapest and took you through north-east Hungary into Romania. 23-24 hours seems about right, with reasonably favourable changes.

Comment

I went on a countryside walk for the first time in ages the weekend before last. Really enjoyed it. Didn't take many photos but I've got a couple I'd like to upload on here. I can't currently get it to work though. Any suggestions? I'm using a phone and it keeps saying jpeg extension not allowed.

There's a bonus "spot the celebrity" game as an incentive for helping me upload the photos.

​​​​​​​

Comment

Some people seem to be able to make it work, though I can't. I instead upload the pictures to imgbb.com, which then gives you the option of copying the exact code that will work on here

Comment

In other news, this should really be on books, but since we've been having a bit of a Carpathian section of the thread, here's a reading list i just came across https://www.calvertjournal.com/artic...ture-book-list

Comment

Ok, let's try imgbb.com

https://ibb.co/vBfvZP8
                      https://ibb.co/KxVyZ8d

Comment

Balders, do you see a camera icon in the top left corner of the reply box?

If so, click on that, then click again, and you should be able to choose the source of the images on your phone.

Select the image you want, then click "Use" (or the equivalent depending on operating system)

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                          Balders, do you see a camera icon in the top left corner of the reply box?

If so, click on that, then click again, and you should be able to choose the source of the images on your phone.

Select the image you want, then click "Use" (or the equivalent depending on operating system)
                          Yeah, sometimes this works, but today it's not playing ball.

Comment

Comment

On imgbb, once you've uploaded there is a drop down menu. Select "BB Code full linked" and then click on the box marked copy next to the code that it generates, and just paste that into the reply box on here

Comment

Ok, so for anyone who wants to play the game, those photos contain two semi-famous British actresses (reactions range from "Who?" to "Oh my god, I can't believe you know them!").

If anyone guesses correctly, I'll PM you to let you know, but I'd prefer not to outright state who they are on here.
                                Last edited by Balderdasha; 06-07-2021, 16:53.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                  On imgbb, once you've uploaded there is a drop down menu. Select "BB Code full linked" and then click on the box marked copy next to the code that it generates, and just paste that into the reply box on here
                                  Ursus seems to have done this for me! Thanks both!
                                  Last edited by Balderdasha; 06-07-2021, 16:54.

Comment

The actress in the top photo is on the left, crouching next to a suitcase. The silhouetted woman under the cover was a chef there.

The actress in the second photo is the one with her back immediately to us.

Comment

I sometimes wonder why I don't seem to encounter all of the difficulties others do with posting photos, and fear that it means that my security and privacy settings are not what they should be.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        I sometimes wonder why I don't seem to encounter all of the difficulties others do with posting photos, and fear that it means that my security and privacy settings are not what they should be.
                                        I don't have problems posting photos from my own phone, but copying pics from Google images never works.

Comment

This must be at least the third time I've posted pictures of/from Velky Rozsutec here, but it's a hike I'd never get bored with, so here we go again.....

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Well I, at least, am happy (if somewhat jealous) to look at pictures of it.

Comment

Seconded.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X