No announcement yet.

Backpacks and blisters - the walking thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extended the weekend with an annual leave day and spent it doing the Ullswater Way - which I've done previously as an organised event but did it solo today (it's well marked so doesn't need event signage). Ice underfoot in the morning, and snow and hail showers in the afternoon, but sunny nearly all day (albeit with a chilling wind). From Barton Fell:

Comment

From Gowbarrow Fell opposite :

Comment

...and back at lake level.

Comment

An excellent decision! Lovely area, I was exploring Gowbarrow Fell back in December 2019, when staying at a 'Hobbit hole' at the Quiet Site
          Make sure you bag Little Mell Fell one day....

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
            An excellent decision! Lovely area, I was exploring Gowbarrow Fell back in December 2019, when staying at a 'Hobbit hole' at the Quiet Site
            I've got another day off on Friday and will be picking off some of the easier Wainwrights around Keswick (my birthday presents from my kids at the start of the year were a scratch-off wallchart and the illustrated guides). I'll have a go at some of the multi peak circulars elsewhere in the summer - though having said that apart from the ice patches the underfoot conditions today were more like mid summer than early spring.

Comment

Do you have the Outlying Fells of Lakeland too? Lots of lovely walks, easy ones mostly (it was written for retired fell walkers). I've got half a dozen to bag in a 5 miles radius from where I will be staying later this month (South Lakes)

Comment

Behave yourself!

Comment

Do you have the Outlying Fells of Lakeland too? Lots of lovely walks, easy ones mostly (it was written for retired fell walkers). I've got half a dozen to bag in a 5 miles radius from where I will be staying later this month (South Lakes)
                  I'm aware of them but haven't got the guide - if it was written for the older walker I'm maybe getting it next birthday!

Comment

Walt Flanagans Dog fantastic pics, looks like a lovely walk.

Comment

Little Mell Fell sounds promising. Few things better than a relatively low hill, you get the double win of fewer people and wonderful vistas of the higher tops.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                        Little Mell Fell sounds promising. Few things better than a relatively low hill, you get the double win of fewer people and wonderful vistas of the higher tops.
                        I was being facetious i have to say. It is a Wainwright indeed but of very little interest, a big lump of grass, easily climbed from the road. AW was quite dismissive of it.

Great Mell Fell is a touch more interesting, one of those rare fells that have kept a tree cover right to the top.

Comment

Ah!

I'm genuinely hoping to get out this year. My best friend's boyfriend has a car and they are both up for going on a scenic holiday with me. At the minute we're thinking Pembrokeshire coast.

Comment

I'd not heard of this, but having looked it up I find that I've inadvertently bagged quite a few when I was growing up in West Cumbria - even sprinkling my Great Uncle's ashes on one of them!

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                              I'd not heard of this, but having looked it up I find that I've inadvertently bagged quite a few when I was growing up in West Cumbria - even sprinkling my Great Uncle's ashes on one of them!
                              There are loads of well known (locally) landmarks on the list. The last one I did was Gummer How and what a delight it was!

Comment

Today's fun in the sun - first Sale Fell...

Comment

...then its neighbour Ling Fell...

Comment

....round to a busy Catbells...

Comment

...then High Rigg...

Comment

...and finally Binsey on the way home...

Comment

Walt Flanagans Dog those are absolutely beautiful.

I’ve finally snared myself a couple of days’ leave after a dreadful quarter 1 workwise. I have the itch to get back up to the National Park again, with Monday pencilled in.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                            Walt Flanagans Dog those are absolutely beautiful.

I’ve finally snared myself a couple of days’ leave after a dreadful quarter 1 workwise. I have the itch to get back up to the National Park again, with Monday pencilled in.
                                            Same here really, today and the Ullswater trip on Tuesday were my first two leave days of the year, and I've got 39 still to take before the end of the calendar year (and the next 2-3 months are off limits in practice).

Comment

That’s the thing isn’t it? We’re told we must use up our leave, but it’s pretty much impossible to do so.

Comment

You certainly made the most of it Walt! Binsey outlier out of the way too!

Comment

Lovely pics, all.

I can’t compete with them, but the other day, as part of annual leave at home, we walked from our front door in Forest Gate, East London all the way up 13 miles of Epping Forest to Epping, with our son. That was a really beautiful walk, and parts of the forest are amazingly old and quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                                    Lovely pics, all.

I can’t compete with them, but the other day, as part of annual leave at home, we walked from our front door in Forest Gate, East London all the way up 13 miles of Epping Forest to Epping, with our son. That was a really beautiful walk, and parts of the forest are amazingly old and quiet.
                                                    I used up a weeks annual leave last month by doing a walk from Tower bBidge to Harwich via Epping and the Essex Way. I did 103 miles and travelled to and from the start points by public transport everyday. Epping Forest is fantastic and I really enjoyed it. Little did I know I would spend three hard days there searching for a missing person.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X