Backpacks and blisters - the walking thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post
    Why can't I post photos to here? I'm sure I used to be able to. (Upload failed. You are not allowed to upload files with the extension jpg.)
    I think I go through this loop every time I put photos on, but can't remember how to solve it - maybe its the one where you need to restart your phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

I think I go through this loop every time I put photos on, but can't remember how to solve it - maybe its the one where you need to restart your phone.
      I think Snake is baffled too if the Announcements etc Board is to be believed.

If the pics were on my phone I could put them on instagram and link from there but I downloaded them to my laptop to make uploading them easier. As it were.

Comment

I've read The Salt Path, the bit about their sheep made me cry. Greenlander Jr. has seen The Way so I'll find out tomorrow what he thinks of it.

Comment

I'd not read about this project to map walking routes between Britain's towns and cities before, but I love the idea.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54562137

Comment

What a great idea.

ChrisJ, this thread may be of assistance
            https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...ad#post2350957

Comment

I am not much of hiker, but we did go to Fortescue Falls in Karijini National Park. I took a dip once down the bottom but will spare you those images.

Comment

Saw a trail I hadn't seen before on a bike ride the other day so yesterday we decided to see where it went. Turned out to go up the back side of the hill closest to our house that we go the other way up quite often. Twas great at the top with an amazing view south down the valley

Comment

That top pic is glorious, Ad Hoc. They're all good, but especially that one. The trees have a bit more autumn colour to them than last time.

We are now not allowed out of our 'okres' (district) so my friend's and my plan to hike in the Velka Fatra today had to be put on hold. Fortunately, the Mala Fatra is in the Zilina okres, so we headed there instead. I'm very familiar with the Mala Fatra ridge, and we walked a section of that. However, we went up by a route I'd never taken before, so there was a bit of novelty. It was cloudy and occasionally drizzly while we were up there, but the sun came out on our way down.

Comment

On the ridge. Four ghostly hikers appear out of the mist.

Comment

The view from Suchy (highest point we reached today) back to Maly Krivan, the second highest peak in the range.

Comment

Brighter conditions lower down.

Comment

This thread is chock-a-block with marvelous photos, but the beauty of Central Europe as displayed in James's and AH's images are invariably my favourites.

Comment

Thanks NS, this is a beautiful part of the world for sure. Looking at AH's pics, Romania is more spectacular if anything.

With a second certificate for a negative Covid test, we are now allowed to leave the Zilina 'okres'. So today, my friend (former neighbour) and I took the opportunity to do the Velka Fatra hike we'd planned for two weeks ago. Velka (Greater) Fatra has slightly lower peaks than the Mala (Lesser) Fatra, but the range covers perhaps four times the area, and parts of it are significantly wilder and more remote. The hike took us to two neighbouring peaks, Tlsta and Ostra. Tlsta is named after a local word for 'fat'. With a real effort of the imagination (or a bit to drink), you might agree that it resembles a 'spare tyre'. It has a lovely round, grassy summit with interesting rocky outcrops on it. Ostra means 'sharp', and lives up to its name, as it's quite a spiky peak. Its last 50 metres or so are a tricky little rock climb, but there are chains to help you.

Beautiful day for it. If the US election had gone wrong yesterday, the walk might have cleansed the soul. But the prospect of Trump fucking off just meant that everything felt right with the world.

Comment

View from Tlsta

Comment

Tlsta from Ostra

Comment

The main Velka Fatra ridge, with its highest peaks

Comment

Ostra

Comment

James, I really, really wish I had been there....

Comment

Gorgeous James. We went out both days this weekend in the same area both days . The pictures attached are from today. Yesterday was clear down here in the depression but today as you'll see from the photos, down here was blanketed in thick fog. Great to get out of it, miserable to drive home through

​​​​​​

Comment

MS, not the most practical idea maybe, but some sort of OTF hiking exchange could be fun.

Ad Hoc, I'm guessing those peaks are a bit higher than those near where I am. Tlsta was today's highest point at 1,373m. And you had an inversion day by the looks of it. We had an early morning mist today, but it didn't hang around long.

Comment

No similar height. The highest point we were at today was 1341m (and yesterday 1351m)

Comment

It certainly would be James! Ad Hoc twists the knife further I see...

Not sure when I can legally/ethically head back to he hills. I have a cabin in the woods booked for late December in Snowdonia, a few miles from Cadair Idris and with lots of minor peaks to bag. I really hope it will remain feasible....

Comment

Fingers crossed for you...

We have one pre-Christmas and one New Year's Eve hike that have become traditions. Same route every year. They're only day-hikes though. The mountain cabins here can get fully booked up by Alpine skiiers in winter.

Comment

Lovely photos James and ad hoc.

Comment

I'll add some more mountain scenes. We hiked the Tree Spring Trail on the east side of the Sandias to the crest. Very pleasant hike w/ two-week old snow still present in the shaded areas.

A nice drop from around 9500'.

Views of Albuquerque from the crest.

​​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                                    X