No announcement yet.

Backpacks and blisters - the walking thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have posted pictures before of the guest-house/barn in our garden. You can quarantine there.

Comment

The only disappointment on the walk was that we didn't get to see any chamois on the walls of the gorge, as there are a lot around that way

Comment

How far are you from airports?

Comment

Hmmm. 3hoursish from Bucharest, Sibiu, Targu Mures, Bacau. Bit more to Cluj. (So not that close, but there is a fair choice of places to fly to. Tonnes of flights from Spain (well, usually, not sure at the moment), because of the huge number of Romanians there.

Comment

So, I've been targeting tomorrow for a few weeks as the first day I will have without work or other commitments to go for a decent walk. I was planning an old favourite, Llanthony Priory, up to the ridge, along the top to Lord Hereford's Knob (snigger), across the head of the valleys, back via the Offa's Dyke path.

But it's in Wales. Not one of the 'lockdown' areas, but yn bendant yng Nghymru.

I'm not in a tier 2 or 3 area, I'm not planning to touch, talk to, or even look at anyone, if I can help it. It's not (as far as I imperfectly understand the regs) illegal. Am I being a selfish arse for thinking about travelling into Wales? I'm reluctant to abandon it because I'm predicting this will be the last conjunction of free time, good weather and legal travel to that area for another 9 months at least. Anyone feel able to give me a ruling?

Comment

I'd go for it, Chris. I'm not familiar with the area but it's pretty close to the border isn't it? I can't imagine you'd face any sort of hostility or concern from the sort of people you're likely to encounter around there.

Comment

Cheers. It's actually pretty much within 10 miles of the border. Heading off soon.

Comment

Has anyone here walked the Camino Trail?

My eldest has finally worn thin his mother's patience since returning from university in the summer, so in lieu of him getting a job, which unsurprisingly he's finding difficult they've (though probably she's - we don't live together so I don't know for sure) come up with a plan to tackle the pilgrim way.

Now it's fallen to me to help see it through. She would like me to travel to France or Spain and get him to start it off, but this is a personal non-starter mainly because of the 14-day quarantine rule. However before he even gets out there he needs to get into shape and get some walking practice so over the next few days we're going to attempt a few legs along the southwest coast path.

But any ideas or tips for the actual trail would be really appreciated.

Comment

No Camino Trail experience, but Tim Moore's book (Spanish Steps) was a good read.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                      Has anyone here walked the Camino Trail?

My eldest has finally worn thin his mother's patience since returning from university in the summer, so in lieu of him getting a job, which unsurprisingly he's finding difficult they've (though probably she's - we don't live together so I don't know for sure) come up with a plan to tackle the pilgrim way.

Now it's fallen to me to help see it through. She would like me to travel to France or Spain and get him to start it off, but this is a personal non-starter mainly because of the 14-day quarantine rule. However before he even gets out there he needs to get into shape and get some walking practice so over the next few days we're going to attempt a few legs along the southwest coast path.

But any ideas or tips for the actual trail would be really appreciated.
                      Bit confused, does your son intends to go in the coming weeks...?

Comment

I'm hoping to get down to Cornwall in a couple of weeks time to do another 4 or 5 days on the South West Coast Path but it's all covid dependent at the moment. I'm not sure whether I'll be able to travel or not so I'll leave it until the last minute. Fingers crossed and dead jealous of anyone who does get on the hills!

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post

Bit confused, does your son intends to go in the coming weeks...?
                          That's what his mum is pushing him towards. It seems too late in the year to me, unless he maybe just spends a couple of weeks in Spain and avoids the Pyrenees.

Comment

It's too late in term of Camino infrastructure, a lot is only open in Sumner, the weather will start to turn and the Spanish hinterland can get very cold plus there is an increasing amount of Covid restrictions coming into place that might mean your son could end up stranded in Spain for weeks if not months.

Comment

Thank you MS, I thought it might be too late. He's keen and it is his idea, but his mother is really pushing him to go as it's something to keep him from stewing in his room.

Comment

I think you taking him out to do local stuff is good. He needs to build experience and stamina.

Comment

Agreed. It seems a bit nuts to head from an area rich in gorgeous outdoor walks and with low COVID-19 infection rates to a part of the world which would present all and sundry with a number of expenses and risks.
                                  Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 15-10-2020, 14:10.

Comment

Otherwise, there is a nice movie called 'The Way' worth watching about El Camino

Comment

Indeed there is

There are also quite a few more amateur films on YouTube

It increasingly looks like it will be difficult for me to do it, which is a shame

Comment

It's very; many would say too, popular.
                                        Last edited by Sporting; 15-10-2020, 13:18.

Comment

I came across the North Wales Pilgrim path a few times on my hikes...you get to see old churches, stone circles and the likes on a route with some spiritual significance

Comment

You lot haven't met his mother.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I'm going to try and persuade him to spend some time on the SW Coast Path.

Comment

Otherwise, there is a nice movie called 'The Way' worth watching about El Camino
                                              Is that the Martin Sheen one? I've not seen it, but is the premise of the movie something anyone planning to walk with their son would appreciate?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post

Is that the Martin Sheen one? I've not seen it, but is the premise of the movie something anyone planning to walk with their son would appreciate?
                                                That's the one. Up to him to decide, obviously there is an element to the movie that might put off Greenlander dispatch his son to do El Camino...

Comment

Llanthony - Haterall Ridge - Hay Bluff - Gospel Pass - Twmpa - Rhos Dirion - Bwlch Bach - Llanthony. About 30km.

Hardly saw anyone. Beautiful weather. Only slight down was forgetting (not bothering) to take my walking poles so the toe-crushing final descent wasn't ameliorated.

Why can't I post photos to here? I'm sure I used to be able to. (Upload failed. You are not allowed to upload files with the extension jpg.)

Comment

That's the one. Up to him to decide, obviously there is an element to the movie that might put off Greenlander dispatch his son to do El Camino...
                                                    Well, it might help with the "mum issue".

The SW Coast path in total is 630 miles, the Camino is about 500 miles. Less stewing! Plus no quarantine on return. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Read The Salt Path by Raynor Wynn.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X