No announcement yet.

Backpacks and blisters - the walking thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those Cumbria pics bring back childhood memories for me too.

This morning, I went for a walk in the Sulov hills, not far from Slovakia's western border. They are not as high as the Tatras or Fatras, but have a beauty of their own, partly because of the bizarre rock formations in the area. And they're high enough that, in autumn especially, you get above the early morning mist/cloud that hangs in the valleys.

Comment

A bit later, with the clouds thinning.

Comment

Lovely

Comment

Seconded

Comment

It is.
            Last edited by Tony C; 11-10-2020, 07:42.

Comment

Originally posted by gavc23 View Post
              Not long finished day 3 of my west to east walk along the Hadrian’s Wall path.

Day 1, Burgh by Sands to Carlisle was ok, mostly tarmac and not much to see.

Day 2 Carlisle to Lanercost wasn’t too much fun, flat and mostly through fields that could have passed for the Somme, there’s only a few glimpses of vallum so a bit of slog but rescued by a tremendous b&b which I’ll recommend to anyone

Today, Lanercost to Twice Brewed, uphill so the mud not too much of an issue as it’s well drained, plenty of wall, Birdoswald, Thirlwall castle and then the good walks along the crags

tomorrow is Steel Rigg, so sycamore gap, Housesteads, Brocolitia, a gentle downhill to Chesters and a stay in Wall.

next day should be a pretty uneventful one to Heddon on the Wall before wandering through Newcastle to the coast on Friday

The b&b in Lanercost and tonight’s youth hostel aside I’ve found air b&b to be the best option as you can happily shut yourself up in someone’s converted garage of an evening and get food delivered without the need for even socially distant contact. The hostel is pretty bleak though, at best there’s a couple of others staying and we’re all in rooms as far apart as possible and it’s recommended not to leave your corner.

anyway, if anyone ever fancies giving the wall a go let me know, I’ve got recommendations and almost as many cautionary tales
              Just seen this, you would have come within a couple of hundred yards of my house coming into Carlisle. Hope the rest of it went ok, the weather would have been a bit mixed in the rest of the week?

I would like to do that path myself, and for me its possible to do it in sections without getting accommodation, so wouldn't need advice on that but always interested in how the sections and terrains really are compared to how the guides rate them (which tends to be averaged out over a long section rather than highlighting tricky parts).

Comment

...and meanwhile yesterday I cleared the rest of the Cumbria Way - because I did it out of sequence it was a bit strange my finishing line being in Coniston, though not unpleasant.

Here's the official start in Ulverston (Carlisle has absolutely nothing to mark the official finish, much to the annoyance of people doing it, which I understand)...

Comment

....en route from Ulverston to Coniston....

Comment

...ditto, looking back south...

Comment

...and on the shore of Coniston near the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                        ...ditto, looking back south...

Fabulous

Comment

What he said. Gorgeous.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                            ....en route from Ulverston to Coniston....

OTFers never seem to look how you imagine them to be, do they.

Comment

Love James shots of the milky soup you get in the valleys and depressions at this time of year. However, as someone who lives in one of them, while they look amazing from above, from within they are deeply miserable. Spending November living in frozen fog is by far my least favourite thing about here.

Today we went to an area a couple of hours away that we haven't been to before. Much of a film called Cold Mountain (with Nicole Kidman and Jude Law) was filmed there apparently but as I've never seen it, I have no idea whether the film did it justice.

Comment

Fantastic photos, all.

I think Romania has gone much nearer the top of countries I want to visit since looking at ad hoc's pics on here. I absolutely love Slovenia and there's something equally appealing about the Romanian terrain if these are anything to go by.

Comment

Up on Bleaklow today, busier than expected on the main paths so I decided to take the lesser routes across the bogs...It was challenging at times...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                      Fantastic photos, all.

I think Romania has gone much nearer the top of countries I want to visit since looking at ad hoc's pics on here. I absolutely love Slovenia and there's something equally appealing about the Romanian terrain if these are anything to go by.
                                      Agreed. It looks like the autumn colours have come a little late, though perhaps they come a bit later in Romania anyway. I like how the 3rd pic down has just hints of orange and yellow amongst the green.

As with MS, I saw more people out on Saturday than I normally do in the Sulov hills. I've been on autumn and winter walks there before and met no'one at all.

My favourite thread this.

Comment

Not much tops getting out of your tent in glorious sunshine and seeing an inversion, with the valleys under a thick blanket of clouds. You feel right smug..

Comment

Absolutely stunning photographs ad hoc To stand out on this thread is quite an achievement given the exceptional quality of the companion images.

Comment

Okay, Nocturnal Submission, how did you manage to tag ad hoc. Oh, I just did.
                                            Erm, carry on...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                              Okay, Nocturnal Submission, how did you manage to tag ad hoc. Oh, I just did.
                                              Erm, carry on...
                                              Gangster Octopus ...see, easy....

Comment

Nah, I'd failed to tag yer man back in the past. I assumed that it was to do with his two letter forename, but obviously I'd given up too early...

Comment

Thanks all
                                                  Originally posted by jameswba View Post

Agreed. It looks like the autumn colours have come a little late, though perhaps they come a bit later in Romania anyway. I like how the 3rd pic down has just hints of orange and yellow amongst the green.
                                                  Yes the colours are not quite as vivid as they usually are at this time of year. The walnut tree in our garden is very orange/brown (and in fact just starting to shed its foliage). There are a lot of conifers in the pictures above though, which makes it a much greener look than I would normally expect.

The walk we did yesterday was a mixture, up the gorge and over the top to start off with (the pictures are reversed in chronology), including views over to the really high peaks nearby (the one you can see in the mist in the 3rd picture is supposed to be Romania's most challenging peak (not quite it's highest, just over 2500m). Then coming down the other side were those almost Swiss looking alpine meadows that even had the cowbells echoing around to complete the picture. If it weren't for what i think of as very specifically Romanian haystacks (as in the top pic) and the Orthodox monastery (in the 2nd), it really feels like it could be the Alps (hence possibly the Slovenian feeling to them).

Anyway, anyone who fancies it is welcome to come over.

Comment

As soon as Covid etc...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X