Backpacks and blisters - the walking thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post

I just filter it with my Sawyer, get rids of almost everything. I do have iodine capsules just in case but I don't go to places where I would need them. If I was camping by farmland I would use a different filter though, one that deals with heavy metal and pesticides contamination. Steripen looks good actually but do you also have a fine mesh sediment filter?
    No, I tend to do either overnight camps where I'm carrying what I need, trips to places where I know the source is clear and a steripen is enough, or somewhere like India/Nepal where the water is 'drinking' water but I need to zap a few local bugs to which I've no tolerance. It does the job well in those circumstances and mine is rechargeable via USB, so perfect for tea-house/homestay trekking and suchlike.I wouldn't want to rely on it if I was in say, up in the Black Mountains or Brecons where there's often a lot of sediment.

I have a plan for a couple of longish walks were I'd be camping a lot more and I think I need something like a Sawyer. Which model do you recommend?

Comment

Sawyer Mini, cheap and light. As mentioned, it does not filter viruses but I would not concern myself with that when filtering water in the hills or in the UK in general (do not use to filter water by agricultural or industrial land though, it does not filter heavy metals and pesticides). I used to have a DrinkSafe system that filtered all of that but the water debit was painfully slow whilst the Sawyer takes a minute of squeezing to get water for a large brew. I have two large sqeezy bags that attach to filter and and wide mouth bottle if I need to scoop out water from static water.

Comment

Cheers, that's useful. That's the one I looked at earlier. I think in my head I'd been confusing a couple of systems, including a Lifestraw, and been put off by the thought it wouldn't filter bugs, or at least, I couldn't be trusted to operate it safely. I might get one.

Yer Steripen wouldn't deal with metals or pesticides either.

Comment

I do carry a few capsules of chlorine with me in case I suspect fecal contamination by humans (popular tarns in the Lake District can be a problem but that's pushing the caution to max level, you would need a lot of people taking a dump to cause a serious contamination) but simply boiling your water for a minute will sort out the issue, should there be one.

Which leads me to a sanitary piece of advice to people new to the joys of outdoors defecation, do so away from water sources and bury it, burn your toilet paper if safe to do so and avoid standard wipes that do not biodegrade easily (ideally you should carry your poop down with you but...). I am always puzzled by people taking a dump right by a path, why chance an embarrassing encounter...?

Comment

More mushrooms today (just finished eating them for dinner). Hungarian popular name translates as "horse fart mushrooms". In English giant puffball

Comment

You eat those? We were always told they were poisonous. We used to kick them around like footballs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                You eat those? We were always told they were poisonous. We used to kick them around like footballs.
                Puffballs are edible, earth balls are poisonous. They can look similar on the outside, but puffballs are very different inside.

<safety announcement voice>"Always get an expert to identify mushrooms."</voice>

Comment

Working...
                X