No announcement yet.

Backpacks and blisters - the walking thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The mighty River Tweed near St Boswells.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
      Sleeper trains are exciting. I’ve not been on one since I was five, which took us to the French Riviera.
      I did London-Glasgow once in the 90s but I enjoy train travel too much to use the sleeper. I'm quite happy to sit on a train all day watching the world go by.

Comment

In 92 I did Paris-Salzburg, Budapest- Bucharest and return and Cologne- Copenhagen by overnight sleeper as part of an Interrail trip to see Bohs play Steaua Bucharest, it was fun, and something I'd like to do again.

Comment

Some pictures from today climbing Madarasi Hargita (highest mountain in my county at 1801m)

​​​​​​​

Comment

I have no idea why you've got all those twice. You'll have to live with it

Comment

Saw a salamander while I was up there. Slowly crossed in front of me and I was able to kneel down and watch it from very close up for a couple of minutes until it disappeared into the grass

Comment

Lovely

Comment

Yeah great pics ad hoc and a salamander too!

Comment

We stayed near the summit last night and this morning went on another hike. Started picking a few bilberries but then stumbled upon a large patch of wild raspberries. Never seen so many. Picked about 2litres (we only had bottles to put them in, hence the slightly odd measurement). They're smaller and more intensely flavoured than cultivated raspberries. Looking forward to making something truly delicious this afternoon.

Comment

I'm eating at the Border Hotel in Kirk Yetholm which I stayed in when I completed the Pennine Way in 2010. They have books to sign when you finish the path and they date back to 1970. I found my entry from 2010. Dead chuffed!

Comment

Brilliant!

Comment

Took my first ever trip to the Lake District this week. Obviously I've been missing out!

Comment

Fantastic photos lambers !
                            Walked from Elie to Anstruther today along the Fife coast path. Absolutely glorious weather. Might try to post some photos but they always seem to come out absolutely enormous on here!
                            Thought of Lang Spoon as we passed near Kirkcaldy, and treibeis as we passed a crazy golf course. Have clearly been spending too much time on OTF....

Comment

Lovely views of Derwentwater, lambers. I'm looking forward to autumn when I plan to make a few trips up to my home county.

Comment

I love old road signs, this one is in Wooler, Northumberland.

Comment

I made it to Lindisfarne today after a walk over the sand and mud known as the Pilgrims Path. It's been a fantastic route and pack's an awful lot into 60 short miles.

​Tomorrow I start the Northumberland Coastal Path.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                                          I love old road signs, this one is in Wooler, Northumberland.
                                          Loads of the ones in the Borders are like that, much nicer than the super-reflective tin they put up these days.

Comment

The Northumberland coast path is the one I most want to do some day.

Comment

This is nice: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-54072508

​​​​​​The expressions on the faces of the couple looking at Harry are lovely.

Comment

Lunch break on the Northumberland Coastal Path, looking north towards Lindisfarne.

Comment

Some nice desolate scenes there Paul; I’d love to go to Northumberland.

Before we left the UK in the late 90s there were a fair number of old signs on the country lanes in the Chilterns around Henley and Marlow, and also down in Devon. I imagine most have gone now.

Comment

Went for a long hike today. So long that I'm utterly buggered right now. This beer is going straight to my head. I'd share photos but the camera on my phone appears to be kaput. We picked a lot of mushrooms "fox" and "deer leg" mostly.

(checks: chantarelles and parasol mushrooms)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X