Backpacks and blisters - the walking thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh man, this thread.
    Paul S whereabouts on Dartmoor, and are you still there? Try and have dinner at the Peter Tavy Inn.

Comment

No I was only there for the day looking for my letterbox. I started at Merrivale and walked north along the River Walkham and then came back over Greena Ball and Great Mis Tor.

Comment

Paul Sad hoc - great shots!

Comment

Just back from an excellent hike on the Sandia Crest Trail.

Saw these mule deer on our way to the trailhead.

Rio enjoyed the views.

So nice to get away from the heat and enjoy the mountain temps and shade.

Comment

Great shots CA, and glad to see Rio came along.

Comment

Rio was fired up and in sled dog mode the whole hike. I think my right arm is an inch or two longer than before.

Comment

I saw the Sandias for the first time a few weeks ago. They're quite lovely, and a big contrast from the city below.

Comment

Shoot SB, you should have alerted me to your passing through - we could have had a socially distanced meal and brew!

Re: the Sandias, we are spoiled to have them in our backyard.

Comment

I'd have mentioned it if I was going to be in town for more than 10 hours, and wasn't driving from one of your diseased neighbours to another. Next time.

Comment

I've been bagging Ordnance Survey trig points today. The first two I found were in Eastwood just to the east of Rayleigh. One of them you can walk up to, the other is just behind a fence in dense undergrowth and difficult to photograph.

Comment

Comment

No joy finding your letterbox Paul S ?

Comment

And another, just off the A127 near the Dick Turpin pub.

Would this be worth a thread on its own?

image widget

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                              No joy finding your letterbox Paul S ?
                              No, couldn't find it anywhere. Not surprising after 20 years, it could have been washed away.
                              Last edited by Paul S; 26-07-2020, 18:01.

Comment

Sterling work with those trig points Paul!

Comment

I found another one today and at just 6ft above sea level is must be one of the lowest trig points in Britain. Located at the western end of Canvey Island.

Comment

Comment

Totally inappropriate for this thread in one way, this is a zoomed and cropped view from the back bedroom of TrL Towers on the Merseyside coast - but as the view is of Winter Hill, which has been mentioned on here relatively recently, I thought it might be worth sharing.

Comment

Fantastic photo, some great clouds there!

Comment

Photos of transmitters are never inappropriate, but to try to bring it on topic of sorts I'll point out there is a "Race to the Tower" 10K trail run in normal times, which is on my to-do list if and when normal times return.

Comment

Cheers Paul, that was an early morning shot, often get some moody looking clouds before they lift. The transmitter is over 20 miles away so it was nice and clear that day too.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                              Photos of transmitters are never inappropriate, but to try to bring it on topic of sorts I'll point out there is a "Race to the Tower" 10K trail run in normal times, which is on my to-do list if and when normal times return.
                                              If that's up the paths from the lake at Rivington then bring a pair of trainers you don't mind binning - it gets fairly boggy.

Comment

Had a good two weeks in the Lakes (expensive car mishap apart) last week and the week before. I may post a mediocre photo or two if I can work out how to get them from my phone on to here. We were relatively lucky with the weather, in that only one or two days were totally rainy, and the bit of rain on other days was nearly all at times when we were indoors anyway. Only one of our walks was heavily impacted by low cloud obscuring views. Really big walks such as a regular hiker could do in a full day are off-limits to us as my wife's heart condition means that her speed going uphill is literally only a third or even less of a typical fit hill walker's speed (she's only a bit slower than I would naturally be on the flat and just as quick as me downhill). But we still managed to do Skiddaw from the top of Gale Road, and Green Gable from Honister Pass, which is a hell of a lot more than she could manage a few years back before she had a partially successful op last year. Also did Catbells, Loughrigg (really diddy I know but amazing views for such a low hill), Arthur's Pike and Hallin Fell, as well as some really nice low level walks in the Rydal Water and Grasmere area. Great that our 9 year old is so into it all, she's the fastest of us all and has bucketloads of stamina.

The Lake District is just so damn beautiful, really. So many aspects to it.

Comment

For our one year dating anniversary we walked into London on Saturday via Highbury and the Emirates. Although my girlfriend has no interest in sport she was fascinated (or at least pretended to be) as I explained the history of Highbury as well as my two visits sat in the Clock End with Newcastle fans (shoes off if you love the Toon).

All in all a brilliant 14 mile walk (most of it spent with me eulogising or ranting about the buildings we saw and the old pubs converted into shops, offices or flats) and a couple of pints in the Nell Gwynne just off Strand, but that whole area is so eerily quiet, with many shops and most restaurants still closed. It feels like normality is a long way off.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                                    Had a good two weeks in the Lakes (expensive car mishap apart) last week and the week before. I may post a mediocre photo or two if I can work out how to get them from my phone on to here. We were relatively lucky with the weather, in that only one or two days were totally rainy, and the bit of rain on other days was nearly all at times when we were indoors anyway. Only one of our walks was heavily impacted by low cloud obscuring views. Really big walks such as a regular hiker could do in a full day are off-limits to us as my wife's heart condition means that her speed going uphill is literally only a third or even less of a typical fit hill walker's speed (she's only a bit slower than I would naturally be on the flat and just as quick as me downhill). But we still managed to do Skiddaw from the top of Gale Road, and Green Gable from Honister Pass, which is a hell of a lot more than she could manage a few years back before she had a partially successful op last year. Also did Catbells, Loughrigg (really diddy I know but amazing views for such a low hill), Arthur's Pike and Hallin Fell, as well as some really nice low level walks in the Rydal Water and Grasmere area. Great that our 9 year old is so into it all, she's the fastest of us all and has bucketloads of stamina.

The Lake District is just so damn beautiful, really. So many aspects to it.
                                                    That's a great hill list there...Some I'm yet to do in fact. Loughrigg is a cracker, so many bits to explore and the views are indeed brilliant.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X