No announcement yet.

Backpacks and blisters - the walking thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just booked to go down to Dartmoor this weekend to find the letterbox I hid on the moor in 2000.

Dartmoor letterboxing is a unique hobby where people hide small containers containing a rubber stamp. People go out letterboxing and the aim is to find as many as possible. It turns a ball and chalk into a bit of fun. I was at university in Plymouth when I turned 21 and one of my presents was a letterbox complete with a rubber stamp and book to sign which I hid up on the moor in the year 2000 and haven't seen since. I hid it 3-4 miles north of Merrivale not far from a stream and Saturday I shall be looking for it. I'll post pictures if I find it!
    Last edited by Paul S; 14-07-2020, 11:19.

Comment

A series of pictures of my Cumbria holiday. Weather has been rather poor but windows of useable conditions here and there meant an outing every day so far...

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
                Nice

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
                  Looking down on Haverigg and the old Hodbarrow ironworks I think? I used to fish off the sea defences when I was a lad. The next one is Swinside stone circle.

Comment

I love the clouds in that first photo.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post

Looking down on Haverigg and the old Hodbarrow ironworks I think? I used to fish off the sea defences when I was a lad. The next one is Swinside stone circle.
                      Yep, visiting remains of stone circles above Kirkstanton!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Just lovely stuff, Y

Thank you for sharing them

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              Just lovely stuff, Y

Thank you for sharing them
                              My pleasure!

Comment

Top photos. Thanks all. OTF is just a splendid place.

Comment

This thread is great. The closest thing to being there. The photos are amazing, but there have also been some wonderful accounts of walks. Here’s to many more.

Comment

A quiet place for a moment of reflection....I know, I know...

Comment

Current view (from Harter Fell in Eskdale)

Comment

I think I've been there!

Comment

Lovely pictures, MS. All if them, but especially the last one.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                            I think I've been there!
                                            I know that I have. More than once. Last time back in 1982.

Comment

First time, won't be the last...what view and that hill top is full of joyous rock fun!

Comment

Some photos from my trip to Dartmoor today.

Comment

Comment

We went away for 4 days to the Apuseni Mountains which is a part of Romania I hadn't really visited before (much anyway). It was gorgeous, but aside from Thursday afternoon/evening, when we arrived, it absolutely pissed it down all weekend. One of those permanent rains when you occasionally think to yourself "Well, at least it cant rain any harder", and then find out 5 minutes later that you were mistaken. Still, some great walks, and a lot of sitting around looking at weather.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X