Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S. aureus
    replied
    Went for a hike in Huddart Park/Phleger Estate this morning, not a very long one as I still need to build up my hiking fitness, but good to spend time in my personal favourite parks around here. Didn't see another person, so I suppose the trail lived up to its name today. No sweeping views in this part of the park, all forests.

Last edited by S. aureus; 17-08-2021, 21:42.

Leave a comment:

• S. aureus
    replied
    I took advantage of the kids being back in school to go for a short hike this morning, as it's been impossible to do so while they've been at home. Not a very long one, as I'm definitely not in top hiking shape - I was puffing away like a steam engine on the not very steep climb that I used to be able run up with no problem at all. Hopefully I can continue to get out and improve on this aspect (in addition to actually being outside in nature).
    No photos, I'm afraid

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Yes. Part of the area is a national park, so there are regulations, but people do wild camp. Actually, the first people I met today were three teenagers who'd clearly just rolled out of their tent(s). This was on the pass under the mountain. More common is to camp close to the mountain cottages/cabins.

Enjoy your trip.

Leave a comment:

• delicatemoth
    replied
    That area looks like it would be lovely for a bit of backpacking/wild camping. Is that much of a thing in Slovakia?

Going to Glencoe (well, Ballachulish) in two weeks, staying in a cottage.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Velky Choc in the middle/far distance.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Mala Fatra main ridge.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Stoh from below.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    We have several mountains called Magura in Slovakia and I would refuse to call any of them a hillock. They are never the highest peaks in the range, eg the one in Mala Fatra is also about 1,300m in a range whose highest point is just over 1,700m. Anyway, that looks fantastic Ad Hoc.

I didn't celebrate Zilina's 5-0 win till late into last night, as I'd planned to get up with the lark and go berry-picking (bilberries as we agreed last year). Familiar territory this ; there's a peak called Stoh that has a lovely rounded top and the bushes are everywhere up there.

In the last of the pictures I'm posting here, a mountain called Velky Choc is visible. I went up that 4 years ago almost to the day with my father-in-law. It has possibly the best views in all of Slovakia as it's almost equidistant between four ranges (or sub-ranges) : Mala Fatra, Velka Fatra, High Tatras, Low Tatras. It was the first time either of us had been at the peak, though my father-in-law grew up quite close by. It was a brilliant day. I think for him it was 'closure' as far as mountains are concerned, though he's still very physically active and enjoys walking.
    Last edited by jameswba; 13-08-2021, 13:34.

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied
    Anything over 600m asl is a mountain in the UK...

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    That's rather beautiful

It also is very much not a hillock

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    My other half and I have come away for a few days glamping (anyone who is stressed by modern portmanteau words needs to chillax). Anyway today we set off on a walk which turned out to be 18 km and took us up a peak called Magura. I've looked up magura and it means "hillock". We climbed 800 metres up this hillock (we started at 500, it's 1300m at the summit.) Is there a trades descriptions act that covers mountains? I feel like this name needs to be adjusted slightly

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied
    Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
    There was a shooting lodge (Lowther House) of which the chimney was still standing as recently as the late 60s:

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5019167

...but there isn't much left of it now. There is another disused lodge in ruins back down the valley towards Howtown. And on the climb up towards Arthur's Pike from Pooley Bridge there is the Cockpit, an ancient stone circle. So a few things to see. It's great up there, the views are fantastic, but it's almost deserted even on a good day like yesterday - which makes it a bit jarring arriving back in Pooley Bridge where the place was rammed.
    Plenty of quiet bits to explore and a great long hike to High Street if the day calls for a big one. The whole ridge is pretty quiet, scope for an excellent 2 or 3 nighter backpack from Penrith to Windermere in fact..

Martindale is worth a visit btw, the old church in particular and its very old yew tree, it was already there when the Vikings ran the place...

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    Well that's it I'm done for. Seventeen miles and 3,900ft of ascent took me ten hours, longer than yesterday and a darn sight more difficult as well. Slapton to Brixham was the aim and whilst I did it the Kingswear to Brixham section was a lot harder than I expected.

When I got to Torbay I could all the way down Lyme Bay to Portland Bill and three giant cruises ships moored up waiting for happier times.

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    A hard day on the South West Coast Path today doing 20 miles from Outer Cove to Slapton Sands via Salcombe with over 4,600ft of ascent (that's 200ft more than the height of Ben Nevis). Salcombe is lovely but 2nd home hell but decent for food. The war memorial at Slapton certainly sobers you up, strange to think the disaster was pretty much unknown until the 1970's.

I also saw the remains of Hallsands village. Staggering to think nobody died when it was washed away!

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    There was a shooting lodge (Lowther House) of which the chimney was still standing as recently as the late 60s:

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5019167

...but there isn't much left of it now. There is another disused lodge in ruins back down the valley towards Howtown. And on the climb up towards Arthur's Pike from Pooley Bridge there is the Cockpit, an ancient stone circle. So a few things to see. It's great up there, the views are fantastic, but it's almost deserted even on a good day like yesterday - which makes it a bit jarring arriving back in Pooley Bridge where the place was rammed.

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied
    Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
    Good luck Paul. Today's trig action comes from Loadpot Hill overlooking Ullswater...

If I recall correctly it is an interesting place to explore for archeological remains rather than the hill itself. Used to be a house up there, must have been challenging at times...

When I was there, on a glorious summer day, i saw a bloke who could not look less like a mountaineer wearing a pair of rigid B3 boots of the kind you see in the Himalayas...odd sight for sure

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Skiddaw House, said to be England's most remote property, goes on the market for the first time in 200 years:

https://cumbriacrack.com/2021/08/06/...on-the-market/

It is currently a hostel, and a significant stop on the Cumbria Way. I dont think it's lucrative as a hostel so presume it will be lost to other uses.

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    I got battered by the weather today, heavy rain and strong blustery winds made for difficult walking conditions.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    ....the latter visible here from Arthur's Pike...

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Good luck Paul. Today's trig action comes from Loadpot Hill overlooking Ullswater...

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    The first of three and a half days walking the South West Coast Path from Plymouth to Torquay. Today I forded the Mothecombe estuary at low tide and had lunch overlooking Burgh Island (pictured) . A foot ferry took my over the River Avon (no not that one!) and I am now spending the night in the village of Cove. I also found my 400th geocache.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    (and I think, without looking it up, that Talkin Fell is too far north to be on the Coast to Coast, its not far off being due east from Carlisle)

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    A further trig treat for you....(again Talkin Fell)

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    Fantastic pictures guys because all Ordnance Survey trig points are cool. Regarding that picture at Talkin Fell, is that on the Coast to Coast as I remember seeing something like that when I did it.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied

Nearby Talkin Fell was more interesting and conditions slightly better at lower altitude.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X