Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the Lochaber MRT facebook page:

Good morning everyone.

We have been inundated with questions surrounding the arrest of 2 hill walkers near Crianlarich recently. We have no knowledge of the incident other that the subsequent press coverage and the comments on various social media platforms. We do not want to comment on the specifics or the outcome by Police Scotland. One element of the social media comments which is particularly worrying is to see is that people are threatening to withdraw their financial support of Mountain Rescue teams because of certain posts in response to the incident.

All mountain rescue teams depend on the generosity of the public and our community to help support us. It would be a pity if you are a climber, hill walker, mountain biker or just a casual recreational user of our countryside and the voluntary rescue service was not able to respond if our services were needed. If you have an issue with an organisation, then please continue to support the individual teams where the money donated will go direct to providing mountain rescue services.

We are all frustrated by the restrictions imposed on us by Covid-19 and we all want to be able to get back to our mountains and countryside as soon as possible. It is important to remember that, up until now, most of our rural communities have had minimal exposure to Covid-19 and if mountain rescuers are asking people to follow guidelines then it is to protect the communities we live in rather than the individual volunteer rescuers. Thankfully Lochaber has had zero call-outs since the lockdown began and that is a credit to everyone for showing remarkable restraint.
    We would also like to clarify something, which is perhaps not fully understood, even by some of our representative bodies, which is that four teams, Cairngorm MRT, Glencoe MR, Lochaber MRT and Tayside MRT, who carry out the majority of mountain rescues in Scotland, are not members of Scottish Mountain Rescue, but a wholly independent association called iSMR (Independent Scottish Mountain Rescue).
    Stay patient.

Comment

My village from our closest proper hill top (it is still 600m up from the starting point). The peak I last posted a picture from is the one in the distance

Comment

Looks good ad hoc, I'm pining for the hills at the moment, I can't remember the last time I went so long without dashing up a mountain or two. Yesterday I finally finished my walk following rights of way along the railway line from London Liverpool Street to Southend Victoria, the last few miles being a doddle. I've done loads of local walks and every so often I stand there and think Wow, I never knew that was there.

Comment

Loving the thread; a good imaginary escape right now. In late June I have some (forced)
          leave while Mrs. S has to work. I’m thinking of heading up to Ku Ring Gai National Park, where there are some lovely fire trail walks. I haven’t been up there for at least a decade because Life. Really, really want to now.

Comment

Finally out in the hills....

Comment

Comment

Comment

Very nice, where is it? I noticed the tidy but of reposting!

Comment

Mam Tor in the Peak District, between Macclesfield and Buxton

Comment

Looks terrific, I have severe footpath and hill envy here.

Comment

Beautiful

Comment

Comment

Comment

A little chapel in the hills above the ruined Errwood Hall, buil in memory of a Spanish child minder of the family. It was almost abandoned 10 years ago, a glorified lunch shelter but has been restored and has become a place of devotion to more and more people.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
                                Mam Tor in the Peak District, between Macclesfield and Buxton
                                Never heard it described as that before.

Comment

So where are people heading for when lock-down is eased and we can start to say somewhere for the night?

Personally I'm going to stay local, but then again I'm being unfurloughed next week, but only so I can work from home which is a bit of a bummer. Otherwise I'd been heading on the Caledonian Sleeper to Aviemore and the Cairngorms on the basis that it will still be easy to socially distance in such a vast area. The area between Penrith and Alston is another area worth considering, particularly Cross Fell and Melmerby Fell which are empty at the best of times.

Comment

North Pennines are never busy, great place to avoid the crowds, even something as spectacular as High Cup Nick is quiet...Shap Fells and thereabouts are very quiet too (but challenging, very wet...)

Comment

I'm waiting until September. I have my holidays in July and usually go walking and cycling around parts of Kerry and Clare. But that's the big opening and everywhere is madness at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                        Loving the thread; a good imaginary escape right now. In late June I have some (forced)
                                        leave while Mrs. S has to work. I’m thinking of heading up to Ku Ring Gai National Park, where there are some lovely fire trail walks. I haven’t been up there for at least a decade because Life. Really, really want to now.
                                        That was on June 7th. Today, with only a day to spare of my leave, I finally made it, and it didn’t disappoint. To be honest I didn’t go very far, probably only 3-4 miles so I’m a bit of a fraud coming on this thread. I’ll put some on the Photographic thread.

Comment

Comment

A glimpse of the Hawkesbury River.

Comment

And no walk, however short is complete without eating, and this was the spot. On an ancient lava flow.

Comment

I've walked in there. From my brother's house in North Wahroonga it's a few hundred metres to the park, and from there we hiked down to Bobbin Head Marina. It was great, and getting down to the cafe and so on at the bottom was an excellent place to finish up.

Comment

Oh yes Bobbin Head is great (and Wahroonga is quite posh!). I was in the more easterly part of the park, west of Pittwater in the section which finishes at West Head. This is a view just before I got back to the car, looking across Pittwater to Palm Beach. I really should go up there more often, the drive is only 35 minutes each way.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                                    (and Wahroonga is quite posh!)
                                                    I know. My s-i-l is the sort of person to whom that kind of thing is very important, and my brother's salary clearly allows that to be indulged...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X