Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• longeared
    replied
    Went walking today, 12.5 miles above Hebden Bridge in the sunshine with a couple of friends. Some hot trig point action - say hello to High Brown Knoll at SE009303.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied

I could go on, and on - needless to say the situation went from a run interrupted by photo opportunities to a photo shoot interrupted by occasional running (though I still cleared nine miles, so didn't do too badly).

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied

The plus side to jet lag, being up and out for a run as the sun comes up in Pacific Grove, California.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Low Tatras visible in far distance.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Maly Krivan (second-highest peak in this range) seen from Suchy.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Suchy from below.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Chata pod Suchym

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    My American colleagues were keen to accompany me on a snowy hike today, so we went up Suchy, one of the nearest peaks. We stopped at the cottage (Chata pod Suchym - Cottage below Suchy) on the way up. Besides the food and drink, this could pass as an animal therapy centre, with dogs, cats and even goats, all of whom seem to enjoy human attention. It was one of those winter days when you could see for miles. Warm enough in the sun or among the trees, but there was a ferocious wind on top of the peak. We didn't linger, other than for a few quick pics before rushing back into relative warmth.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    There's a 30-second video here of someone (not us, thankfully) battling winter winds on Veterne (the Windy Peak) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY6t9IWZso0

We did get hammered by winds between the two peaks we visited yesterday. But there was one solitary tree, shorter than us but very sturdy, that offered a remarkable degree of respite. Stood behind it, you could almost believe there was no wind at all.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Stunning photos.

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied
    Looks lovely, you can tell it was frigid up there ...

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    This shows the town of Martin, with the Velka Fatra across the valley and the more distant Western Tatras in the background.
    Last edited by jameswba; 09-01-2022, 14:19.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    I met up with a friend early this morning and we hiked up Martinske Hole (Martin Peaks) in the southern part of Mala Fatra. This part of the range looks like a whaleback from below. Once up there, it is indeed relatively flat and open, with the peaks nowhere near as clearly defined as in other parts of the range. We made it to two - Humience (1,398m) and Vidlica (1,466m) but it's a barely discernible descent from one and ascent to the other. Very bracing to say the least. Vidlica to another neighbour, Veterne (whose name translates as Windy Peak), would have been only another 15 mins or so, but we felt little need to confirm that it was living up to its name.
    Last edited by jameswba; 09-01-2022, 14:24.

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied
    I did drive on that road in September, back and forth when I stayed on Skye. As a learner driver, I found it wonderful to drive, a world away from the grim stuff where I live...I even overtook a slow driver at some point, that was exciting...

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    I love driving on that road. Never done it in Winter, mind.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Admittedly we didnt walk far, but as there isn't a "driving and stopping occasionally to take photos" thread, this seems the most apt place to show yesterday's view on the Tyndrum to Glencoe road.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Wearing wellies and not up the road.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    On your hands? In stiletto heels? With your legs tied together as a three-legged-race? I can think of lots of hard ways to walk.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Last time I was up there was on the first of Junuary 1995. We walked up the hard way...

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    ...and my son, taken from the same spot.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Some trig action at the top of Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh today....

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X