No announcement yet.

African food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learned a new concept down G-man's latitudes out on the Internet. Rainbow cuisine, which in turn brought me to the fast food Bunny chow. A hollowed out loaf of bread with curry.

Comment

What, just like that?

Bah, that was in response to EIM's fez.
      Last edited by MsD; 02-08-2018, 23:10.

Comment

Carcass formerly off of here used to tell me about the Thrash Metal Chip Butty, which was similar to that, but chips were stuffed inside a hollowed out loaf, the end put back on, and eaten.

Comment

Thinking about it, there should be a cook book with fast food from all over the world. Enough with all these celebrity borefests with everyone from some chap from Antiques Roadshow to Warwick Davis getting to put one out. A simple worldwide fast food cook book with pictures and a recipe you could fit in half a Twitter post.

Comment

People have tried that.

This is the best reviewed one in the US, but no one has knocked the concept out of the park.

Comment

No Bunny chow in that one

Comment

MSD - hahaha. YES!

PPV - You ever heard of Kapsalon, the Dutch, errr, treat. Trying it is on my list of things to do before I die. Possibly the last thing I'll do before I die, but that's beside the point.

Comment

Never heard of it but looking it up it's quite similar to what most pizza/kebab places will have on the menu here, minus the Gouda cheese. Also, they will allow you replace the fries with mashed potato or rice. All of them are great food.

Comment

Ethiopian flatbread (Injera) is very nice, solid enough to use as a scoop but also spongy.

http://www.thrivingonplants.com/reci...ian-flatbread/
                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 03-08-2018, 01:08.

Comment

I fell in love with Morocco the first time we saw goats in a tree. The food's great too.

Comment

There's a very nice little Senegalese restaurant not far from our flat. I mean, I think it's nice. I haven't had much West African food with which I can compare it. It's certainly the best West African restaurant in Buenos Aires, though.

Comment

That Zeret in Camerwell, London place EIM mentioned is well worth a visit. But I always ask for a spoon for when I’ve had enough of using the injera as a scoop and want to sample the flavours of the dishes without the sourdough type pancake.

Morrocan cuisine is excellently varied beyond the usual tangine & cous cous, and I’m looking forward to my first break to Marrakech & the Atlas Mountains: only ever been to Casablanca, Rabat & the Atlantic coast before.

I’m also a big fan of Egyptian grub. Obviously more influenced by Ottoman & Arabic cuisine, but the Kushari caffs in Cairo (which remind me a bit of London’s pie & mash places in their simplicity) are well worth a stop.

I can take or leave the West African staples, but it’s worth mentioning the often excellent food served up in South Africa - both in the tourist haunts where the surf & turf combos can be superb, and the townships if you’ve got a local to guide you to the good places.

Can’t say I’ve ever had any Central African food: whenever I went there (on in/out business trips) we’d usually end up eating bland international food in the hotels and “upmarket” eateries because that’s where our local contacts wanted to go.

Comment

Man. I love injera, I was lucky enough to live a walk away from Zeret until recently.

I'm also a convert to suya (think Nigerian kebab). There is a Hausa place around the corner and it's lovely. I can't decide if I prefer the beef or the lamb.

Kosheri is nice as well. Egyptian dish of rice, lentils and pasta with a hot sauce.

Comment

Working...
                            X