African food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

African food

Point me in the right direction and narrow it down from an entire continent to kitchens. For cooking at home.
    I've explored some of the food in northern Africa through visits and in restaurants, also some from the horn, but there's bound to be a great deal to check out, an entire continent.

If it's a specific recipe, link is more than welcome as long as it does not in any way involve fruit or nuts in a main course since I hate that.

Fesenjoun stews from Iran or pipin moles from Mexico are two great savory dishes that are based on walnut-pomegranate and pumpkin seed paste respectively, two examples of main courses based on nuts and fruits that are outstanding.

Comment

Well, that nicely covers the stuff he hates....

Comment

And we're not even in Africa

Comment

Can't give you recipes but I've never had a meal in an Ethiopian restaurant that wasn't excellent. I have also a few times made a Nigerian bean stew which came from a vegetarian cookbook I own and so I can't vouch for its authenticity. And Moroccan food rarely disappoints

Comment

This crap is called Africana in Swedish pizzerias. Pineapple, banana and peanuts. I refuse to believe that they would serve it anywhere in Africa.

Comment

In Africa itself South of the Sahara I've only been to east Africa where the local food never thrilled me, but where there is tonnes of great South Indian food available

Comment

I had an amazing meal in an ethiopian restaurant in london. though i was slightly surprised by being expected to eat the bread plate it was served on.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                  Can't give you recipes but I've never had a meal in an Ethiopian restaurant that wasn't excellent. I have also a few times made a Nigerian bean stew which came from a vegetarian cookbook I own and so I can't vouch for its authenticity. And Moroccan food rarely disappoints
                  I've had Eritrean many times when visiting a friend and his wife, which I suspect is very close to Ethiopian, and it was indeed great every time.

Comment

Yeah, Ethiopian food is bang tidy, and cheap as fuck. There's a great restaurant in Camberwell, just before Camberwell Green, in an unassuming housing estate. They serve the food on a big platter covered in a sour sort of flat bread. The food goes on that, and you rip the bread off and eat the food, spicy lamb or chicken, yellow lentils, gear like that. There's another Ethiopian place just down the road from me, upstairs in a kebab/chicken place. The food is so cheap I assumed it was small bites. It's not. And it was excellent. £7 for a main course or something daft.

Here's the menu for the Camberwell gaff, Zeret Kitchen...

http://zeretkitchen.com/?page_id=109

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                      I had an amazing meal in an ethiopian restaurant in london. though i was slightly surprised by being expected to eat the bread plate it was served on.
                      Injera, I believe it's called, which is my sole nugget of knowledge on the topic.

Comment

Also had Cap Verde food plenty of times, another friend who has a wife from there.
                        Only had creole in Texas but my friend there, his mother is from Louisiana so trust he took us to a proper creole restaurant and there were obvious similarities between the Cap Verde and the US Creole, still a bit like comparing an America pan pizza with having one in Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                          Injera
                          Exactly what my Eritrean friends called one of the dishes. I don't know how much difference there is between Amharic and Tigrina, or the two countries at all. Maybe it's like comparing Sweden to Denmark.

Comment

There's a street in Milano (ursus knows the one, not far from the pizza place we met at) which I love to visit when there. Ethiopian and Eritrean restaurants and bars one after the other.

Comment

Seconded? Thirded? Fuck it, who cares - on Ethiopian food. If you're ever out Kentish Town way, head to The Queen of Sheba for a meal which will actually blow your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                £7 for a main course or something daft.

http://zeretkitchen.com/?page_id=109
                                That's about what you pay for a Big Mac & Co in Sweden.

Comment

Funky thing in Ethiopian restaurant, at least here, is that they serve their traditional coffee with popcorn. And with serve I mean really serve in an almost ceremonial manner.

Comment

This Ethiopian place in Atlanta is amazing.

http://www.destaethiopiankitchen.com/menu.html

Comment

I don't know why I was surprised by the picture of a spaghetti dish. I shouldn't be considering the colonial history of Ethiopia.

Comment

The last Ethiopian meal i've had was a dinner with Jason Voorhees and Tactical Genius in Manhattan way back, it was about as good as the company.

Comment

Ah, that's a shame.

Comment

There are indeed a number of excellent Ethiopian, Eritrean and Somali restaurants near Porta Venezia in Milano, particularly along Via Palazzi and Via Melzo (same street that changes name at Corso Buenos Aires). They are kept going by a sizeable population from the Horn of Africa in the neighbourhood.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                              Tasty underlay! Not sure how easy it would be to make at home though.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                                                Funky thing in Ethiopian restaurant, at least here, is that they serve their traditional coffee with popcorn. And with serve I mean really serve in an almost ceremonial manner.
                                                The entire service is ceremonial.

Comment

There's a great little Moroccan restaurant in Malaga. The way they served the mint tea was unreal. I thought I'd hate it, but it was so refreshing. Top lads and lasses, the Moroccans. Portillo did a great Railways Journey there. Think I'll go. Eat tagine. Lounge about in one of those interior courtyards. Read books. Wear a fez.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X