Family history research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family history research

If any of you want any of your family looking up on census's and what have you...I forked out £85 the other week subscribing to ancestry.co.uk for 12 months and am fairly determined to get my money's worth so will be happy to do searches for you..I have access to UK census's going back 1841 to 1901, WW1 Medal and medical records and some other stuff.
    I've traced one of my lines back to 1700 so far..the rest seem to end with "Born in Ireland" which will be a bit trickier :-(
    Two possible "famous" connections...The Pirate Queen Grace O'Malley from Clare Island and....Jeremy Clarkson through his Kilner family :-)..also found out my grandfather was in the Theatre Party in the Dardanelles after he caught Malaria...bet it wasn't half hot out there

Family history research

Was your grandad Mr La-di-da Gunner Vorderman?

Comment

Family history research

All my grandparents are Irish.

So there is no point as the IRA burnt down the public records office. Cunts.

Comment

Family history research

So you can look up any old family you like, right?

So what info do you need?

Comment

Family history research

Does that subscription allow you do German searches, Vorderman?

Comment

Family history research

I'll take advantage of this, if it's going - I know my direct patrilineal family back to 1830-odd (got photocopies of birth certificates, the lot) but don't know too much about my Mum's side of the family, especially her Mum, going back. I've got a horrible suspicion they might have been Welsh , which is why no-one mentions it.

What do you need to get started, a PM or something with my e-mail address?

Comment

Family history research

no..I don't have access to German records

pm me as much info as you have ..names, maiden names, place of birth or residence, date of birth, date of death, date of marriage
              in the case of WW1 any info re regiment is useful.
              some name's are surprisingly common so the more info you have the better

it would be handy if you include in your pm your otf name,real name and email address to help avoid confusion.
              If i find records i can download stuff like WW1 records and Census's which i can then email to you. with the birth certificates all i can get is the basics and the reference you need to buy a copy from the govt

Comment

Family history research

PM for you, Vorderman.

Comment

Family history research

evilC wrote:
                  PM for you, Vorderman.
                  email for you

and pm for Pishtico

no luck with either of them so far

Comment

Family history research

Villain wrote:
                    All my grandparents are Irish.

So there is no point as the IRA burnt down the public records office. Cunts.
                    Surely their census records still exist. They occupied the four courts and the records were destroyed in the ensuing battle I think would be a more accurate description of I would say.

You'll probably never know if they were informers though. There was a great enthusiasm in destroying those records.

Comment

Family history research

I'm a direct descendent of Capability Brown. Which is weird because I fucking hate gardening.

Great name though - Capability. I should have been Christened 'Just barely competent on one of his better days'.

Comment

Family history research

I come from a long line of Bedfordshire farm labourers. Some pedigree, eh.

Comment

Family history research

My dad's been looking into the family history for several years now. He has over 1,000 people in the database, and in places it goes back 400 years or so. He goes up to the British Library about once a month to get documents, and has many files of photocopies back home. He loves it - getting hold of the details and deducing the biographical tale. Apparently I have some ancestors from half a dozen generations back who were full-on imperialists, running large sections of the British East India Company, and in a couple of cases living in pretty damn big aristocratic residences.

That's the exception though. Most of them are labourers, butchers, etc. in Croydon or Wycombe.

Comment

Family history research

PM coming to you Vorderman.

Comment

Family history research

Second biggest thing on the web after filth, family history, someone was telling me. Which suggests that the two questions foremost in the human mind are "Who am I?" and "Can I watch someone come on your tits?"

Comment

Family history research

steveeeeeeeee wrote:
                                PM coming to you Vorderman.
                                emailed you back

Comment

Working...
                                X