Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A dairy product.

Why do they call ie "evaporated" milk?

Because much of the water in the milk has evaporated?

Comment

Indeed. Same as condensed milk.

Comment

Well, that sorts that out.

Comment

Ah. Just wondered.

Comment

Isn’t condensed milk sweetened, whilst evaporated milk isn’t?

Comment

To be clear, evaporated milk and condensed milk are not the same thing. Condensed milk has added sugar.

Comment

Well waddaya know...

Comment

Yes, it's altogether more viscous than yer evaporated.

The latter goes better on tinned fruit, while yer condensed makes a good white-bread sandwich. So I'm told.

For anyone living in 1974, anyway.

Comment

Yeah, you can make a sort of caramelly pudding thing just by boiling condensed milk in the tin. Can't do that with evaporated.

Comment

Use it to make tablet, and destroy your teeth as the Scots do...

Comment

We called it 'cream' in our house when we had it on tinned pears.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                          ...yer condensed makes a good white-bread sandwich. So I'm told.

For anyone living in 1974, anyway.

I can remember Lenny Henry doing bits about condensed milk sandwiches on Tiswas, but not whether they were supposed to be a good or bad thing.

Comment

DCM sandwiches. De Condensed Milk. Different times.

You can make fantastic Key Lime Pie with condensed milk.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                              Yeah, you can make a sort of caramelly pudding thing just by boiling condensed milk in the tin. Can't do that with evaporated.
                              Dulce de leche. Very popular in Argentina, I'm told.

Comment

Makes a fantastic base for a Banoffee pie.

As in: caramel for the topping. The base is crushed chocolate hob nobs and butter.
                                Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 31-07-2018, 18:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                  DCM sandwiches. De Condensed Milk. Different times.
                                  From Mrs WOM's hillbilly family, I've learned of 'brown sugar sandwiches' and 'salt and pepper sandwiches'. Also, congealed bacon fat, spread on bread.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                    Makes a fantastic base for a Banoffee pie.

As in: caramel for the topping. The base is crushed chocolate hob nobs and butter.
                                    Where's the bananas?

Comment

I used to buy tubes of condensed milk from the supermarket when i was teen and, ahem, suck them dry...still use it on occasion when camping for my tea/coffee needs

Comment

In South America or somewhere, they put condensed milk into coffee and you just stir it as much as you need your coffee sweet and milky.

Comment

"Pooh always liked a little something at eleven o'clock in the morning, and he was very glad to see Rabbit getting out the plates and mugs; and when Rabbit said, 'Honey or condensed milk with your bread?' he was so excited that he said, 'Both,' and then, so as not to seem greedy, he added, 'But don't bother about the bread, please.'"

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                            From Mrs WOM's hillbilly family, I've learned of 'brown sugar sandwiches' and 'salt and pepper sandwiches'. Also, congealed bacon fat, spread on bread.
                                            When we were boys my Dad used to tell us that bread and dripping was the best thing you could eat. Then one day I tried it...

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                              In South America or somewhere, they put condensed milk into coffee and you just stir it as much as you need your coffee sweet and milky.
                                              Also Vietnamese coffee. It's not very nice IMO...

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/...tnamese-coffee

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                                When we were boys my Dad used to tell us that bread and dripping was the best thing you could eat. Then one day I tried it...
                                                It was about the only “dish” I remember my father preparing. Served hot it was sublime. However after his heart attack my mother took over, serving it cold. Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                                  I can remember Lenny Henry doing bits about condensed milk sandwiches on Tiswas, but not whether they were supposed to be a good or bad thing.
                                                  He did indeed - and they were absolutely sold as 'good'. I seem to remember one week he had on a 'legalise bread and condensed milk' t-shirt, which amused my sister and me.

This might sound like one of those 'Pelé' facts, but the idea originally came from early Tiswas guest Cliff Richard, who was/is a big fan of the snack.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X