Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a different world

1. Edward Bruce conquers Ireland

In real life, Robert's brother was defeated after a two year period as King of Ireland, but taking the divergent path, Scottish reinforcement proves decisive, the Norman earls join forces with him, and eventually Dublin surrenders. At the time, both Scotland and Ireland were largely Gaelic-speaking, and still one language, so politically a situation similar to the Union of Kalmar seems probable, with one monarch, but separate parliaments. By 1400, with the Union consolidated, assistance is provided to Glyndwr's rebellion, and Wales is drawn into the Celtic ambit. Culturally, however, the Cambrians prove a poor fit, and after later seceding, are swiftly reconquered by England. The Union survives long enough to escape the Reformation, leading to the House of Orange succeeding to the English throne after Elizabeth, but eventually both countries go their separate ways in the mid-1600s.

Or not, mibees. Relatively poor and ravaged Scotland and Ireland would have been no match for the fucking Angevin Empire that had half of France’s resources to exploit, and more good land in England where the economy was way more geared to the mass mobilization of heavily armed cavalry bastards.

Let alone why would Normans in Ireland not think their claim to be kings of Ireland greater than fucking Bruce?

Comment

Scotland still wouldn't qualify for the World Cup.

Comment

What if Henry 8th had a son instead of princess Mary, Henry would've had his male heir so no reason to divorce queen Catherine,no Anne Boleyn as queen and no Elizabeth,England stays Catholic as does the USA when England starts to colonise it.
        Personally I often wonder what would have happened if my Dad didn't get a job in Dublin just before he married my Mam, he had spent the previous couple of years mainly working in London and they were talking about emigrating. I'd probably have ended up a Spurs fan like he was but how Irish I would have felt is something I can only wonder.

Comment

You don't understand Norman culture. If one Norman raised himself up as king of Ireland. The others would eat him alive. Also the prospect of large scale norman on norman violence was simply too terrifying for words. Henry II arrived in Ireland pretty much immediately after strongbow's conquest, to make sure that everyone knew what was what. That must have been a very tense meeting. Normans were basically wolves in armour, and every one of the them believed that thet they should be king.

Comment

What if the indigenous people of North America had successfully fought off the white people who invaded them, and maybe captured some of them and made them their slaves? I wish someone would do a Netflix or Amazon series about this, similar to Man In The High Castle (but maybe without the alternate reality stuff).

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
              Scotland still wouldn't qualify for the World Cup.
              You are worried about Hanoi-ness in other threads with remarks like that?

*But of course, true enough.

Comment

Working...
              X