Antisemitism and contemporary politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
    I would guess recently there have been at least as many terror attacks worldwide by anti Muslim white nationalists, many of whom are passionate supporters of Israel,

those don’t appear amongst the Prevent questions, apparently
    The last PREVENT training I did, about two months ago, focused very much on right-wing extremism and terror.

Case studies included, anti-Semitism, Islamophobia, hate crime against the LGBT community and every other type of extremist hate in between. It was delivered by a West Mids anti-terror cop. My colleague was so affected by what they listened to they left the room in tears.

My work with young people involves, young, mainly white, working class males. I know where the threat will come from.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post

I have done lots of PREVENT training and read guidance on PREVENT, but I have never seen anything that suggests "Vocal support for Palestine" is evidence of extremism.

It's up to individual educational establishments to risk assess speakers/debate/discussion.

I have talked about PREVENT on here before. The problem with PREVENT is how individuals interpret the risk.
      I've done Prevent training and, I posted on here, that support for Palestine was seen as an example of extremism. I cannot remember the post that I made I'm afraid.

Comment

Your guide to the weaponisation of IHRA guidelines

https://twitter.com/hadarsusskind/status/1340812021227503622?s=21

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

I've done Prevent training and, I posted on here, that support for Palestine was seen as an example of extremism. I cannot remember the post that I made I'm afraid.
          Who delivered the training?

Comment

Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post

Who delivered the training?
            It was through Enfield Council, I'm not sure of the name but I think he said he was an ex teacher.

I remembered another example, calling the 2003 Iraq War an invasion was also a sign of extremism or potential extremism.

I said nothing as it was clear I'd been labelled an extremist in two examples given.

The only positive was learning about the right wing extremism and the movement claiming indigenous whites would become a minority in the UK.

Comment

I remembered another example, calling the 2003 Iraq War an invasion was also a sign of extremism or potential extremism.
              I have no reason to doubt you, but are you sure? Did they offer suggestions for what the hell else you're supposed to call it? Presumably using wikipedia is then also a sign of extremism, preamble and first sentence:

This article is about the war that started in 2003. For the initial invasion, see 2003 invasion of Iraq. For the entire conflict from 2003 to the present, see Iraqi conflict (2003–present). For other wars in Iraq, see Iraq War (disambiguation).
              The Iraq War[nb 1] was a protracted armed conflict that began in 2003 with the invasion of Iraq by a United States-led coalition that overthrew the government of Saddam Hussein.

Comment

It was through Enfield Council, I'm not sure of the name but I think he said he was an ex teacher.

I said nothing as it was clear I'd been labelled an extremist in two examples given.

The only positive was learning about the right wing extremism and the movement claiming indigenous whites would become a minority in the UK.
                Ah, right, so was the ex-teacher expressing a view, or rising a discussion point?

The PREVENT strategy does not name individual groups, or causes, but just talks about extremism and radicalisation. The Prevent training I have attended talked about how vulnerable young people can be drawn into extremism and how right-wing extremism is now a real worry. The case studies we looked at didn't name groups, but obviously we can guess.

I would have made a complaint to Enfield Council.

Comment

This is enormously important

https://twitter.com/rabbijilljacobs/status/1375067811324829696?s=21

in particular

Israel and Palestine: examples that, on the face of it, are not antisemitic

(whether or not one approves of the view or action)
                  1. Supporting the Palestinian demand for justice and the full grant of their political, national, civil and human rights, as encapsulated in international law.
                  2. Criticizing or opposing Zionism as a form of nationalism, or arguing for a variety of constitutional arrangements for Jews and Palestinians in the area between the Jordan River and the Mediterranean. It is not antisemitic to support arrangements that accord full equality to all inhabitants “between the river and the sea,” whether in two states, a binational state, unitary democratic state, federal state, or in whatever form.
                  3. Evidence-based criticism of Israel as a state. This includes its institutions and founding principles. It also includes its policies and practices, domestic and abroad, such as the conduct of Israel in the West Bank and Gaza, the role Israel plays in the region, or any other way in which, as a state, it influences events in the world. It is not antisemitic to point out systematic racial discrimination. In general, the same norms of debate that apply to other states and to other conflicts over national self-determina- tion apply in the case of Israel and Palestine. Thus, even if contentious, it is not antisemitic, in and of itself, to compare Israel with other historical cases, including settler-colonialism or apartheid.
                  4. Boycott, divestment and sanctions are commonplace, non-violent forms of political protest against states. In the Israeli case they are not, in and of themselves, antisemitic.
                  5. Political speech does not have to be measured, proportional, tempered, or reasonable to be protected under article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights or article 10 of the European Conven- tion on Human Rights and other human rights instruments. Criticism that some may see as excessive or contentious, or as reflecting a “double standard,” is not, in and of itself, antisemitic. In general, the line between antisemitic and non-antisemitic speech is different from the line between unreasonable and reasonable speech.
                  Last edited by Nefertiti2; 26-03-2021, 02:37.

Comment

Antisemitism

an issue of Labour Party discipline

not something Jews should express opinions about
                    https://twitter.com/abstraktions/status/1376911529321189389?s=21

Comment

It was cheering to see GnasherJew’s Twitter account suspended yesterday. He or they popped up on another account almost immediately and GJ fans changed their avatars to show support.

What was also cheering was to see so many Left, Labour and ex Labour people standing up to and ridiculing them, rather than getting upset and bending over backwards to show that we’re anything but antisemitic, and having that twisted into some sort of “gotcha”, because obviously only a secretly rabid antisemite would be “protesting too much”. I find it annoying now, but it no longer upsets me. I had a mini pile-on but they couldn’t find anything incriminating in my account so had to resort to calling me a liar and antisemite, without evidence for either.

Hoping they’ve over-reached and will be taken less seriously. It’s too much to hope they will go away.
                      Last edited by MsD; 31-03-2021, 13:39.

Comment

Antisemitism

an issue of Labour Party discipline

not something Jews should express opinions about
                        https://twitter.com/abstraktions/status/1376911529321189389?s=21
                        Is this Jewsplaining from Akehurst?
                        Again?
                        I mean, he could not get away with this if he was to do the same thing to somebody of BAME origin, and it blows my fucking mind how he gets away with it.

Comment

Many of those expelled from the Labour Party for “antisemitism” were Jewish

Comment

What is a Luke Akehurst, and why should I care about it?

Comment

Hardline right wing racist Labourite, recently elected to its national executive committee.

Comment

Bollocks, so I do need to care then...

Comment

Many of those expelled from the Labour Party for “antisemitism” were Jewish
                                  I'm all too aware, sadly. Partly thanks to your vigilance on the matter, and also having initially been made aware of it by Michael Rosen, he himself lamenting how he was 'the wrong kind of jew' (his words) when talking of political matters on Twitter.

Comment

https://twitter.com/jsternweiner/status/1377308695978184706?s=21

Not agreeing with contentious definitions of antisemitism makes you an Antisemite.
                                    (QED)

Comment

https://twitter.com/jsternweiner/status/1377339219945824256?s=21

more from the excellent Jamie Stern Weiner

Comment

https://twitter.com/allyfogg/status/1377197298107699206?s=21

Comment

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1377316624311717888?s=21

Comment

Baddiel in response to this

https://twitter.com/barnabyraine/status/1377268499937177603?s=21

Comment

An example

https://twitter.com/raffimagarik/status/1377345289737043969?s=21

Comment

There's a long article here - maybe TL, but for anyone curious about how the Gnasher gang operates and the effect it can have on people.

https://gwared.medium.com/the-identi...d-81e1bbe01c25

Comment

The tweet no longer exists Nef.

Comment

This is good

https://twitter.com/rivkahbrown/status/1379133519264419842?s=21

Comment

Working...
                                                    X