No announcement yet.

Antisemitism and contemporary politics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hang on, what are we talking about now? Are we talking about the issue of antisemitism in the UK, or the occupation. Your post isn't clear. I've been spending a long time trying very hard not to conflate the two, and I think it is important not to. Both are very important issues, but when it comes down to it, the occupation is the one of those issues that is killing and brutalising people, under which people are being killed purely because of their race, on a daily basis. This is not to diminish the problem of antisemitism on the left in UK politics, nor to try and downplay the effect on those affected by it, but of the two separate issues the occupation is certainly the more serious. It is racially motivated mass murder.

Comment

I don't know whether it has an effect on c), but vociferously attacking someone like RR is a bad look for Corbyn supporters.

As Emily T seems to have worked out: https://twitter.com/EmilyThornberry/...51725610856450
      Last edited by Lucy Waterman; 10-01-2019, 13:39.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        Hang on, what are we talking about now? Are we talking about the issue of antisemitism in the UK, or the occupation. Your post isn't clear. I've been spending a long time trying very hard not to conflate the two, and I think it is important not to. Both are very important issues, but when it comes down to it, the occupation is the one of those issues that is killing and brutalising people, under which people are being killed purely because of their race, on a daily basis. This is not to diminish the problem of antisemitism on the left in UK politics, nor to try and downplay the effect on those affected by it, but of the two separate issues the occupation is certainly the more serious. It is racially motivated mass murder.
        Sorry, I agree with that but I'm not sure how it relates to my post.

Comment

It was the juxtaposition of point (b) in your list of people impacted. I couldn't really work out what we were now talking about, and, indeed, whether we talking about both issues.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
            It was the juxtaposition of point (b) in your list of people impacted. I couldn't really work out what we were now talking about, and, indeed, whether we talking about both issues.
            I think the occupation is bad; I support BDS and the principle of Palestinian resistance and self-defence. I dunno whether shouting someone who does sums on TV about Israel constitutes a meaningful form of solidarity especially when she hasn't really mentioned Israel.

The only reason to shout about Israel at Rachel Riley is to position her criticism being because she is a zionist or whatever, something that has far more to do with trying to pigeonhole every critic of Corbyn as anti-Palestinian - and hence illegitimate - than it does about any sort of meaningful support for Palestine. Does this make sense?

Comment

I only know what has been on this thread (and the interview on C4), and the only person i have heard mention Israel is her, and when Krishnan Guru-Murthy actually asked her a question about Israel (after she brought it up), she basically said something pathetic like "I don't want people on any side to be killed". I don;t know - if people have been shouting at her about Israel then I agree with you, but as I say, from where I watch, she brought Israel into the conversation. (and if she did she needs to have a slightly more thought out position on it than what she seems to have)

Comment

You seem to show a remarkable generosity to Rachel Riley here that was missing from say your criticisms of Alexandria Ocasio Cortez.

Comment

.This thread seems pretty measured on Riley and Chomsky.
                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 10-01-2019, 15:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                    You seem to show a remarkable generosity to Rachel Riley here that was missing from say your criticisms of Alexandria Ocasio Cortez.
                    I'm not particularly interested defending Riley's politics. They're bland liberalism at best and clearly naive/bad faith in treating out-and-out racists as political allies. But what I am saying is that pretending that she's a right wing anti-Corbyn or pro-Israel zealot - is a pretty dubious priority for Corbynites. I don't think that's a defence of her personally or politically.

The reason I tend to be more critical of AOC is because she holds elected office and is perceived by many to be a radical leftist. Acknowledging the gaps between the rhetoric she used to get elected and the structural realities of what can be done under the current US political system is important, or at least it is important when loads of people are really invested in pretending those structural realities don't exist every two years.

I don't think these are particularly inconsistent or bad faith positions to hold.
                    Last edited by Bizarre Lw Triangle; 10-01-2019, 16:24.

Comment

Rachel Riley works with some very unpleasant people who are both right wing . anti Corbyn and Pro israel zealots. In particucalr the tweeters known as GnasherJew and Mishtal are rightwing and pro likud.

She has 612000 followers

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Here is a long piece about Riley her selective concern about antisemitism, and Gnasher Jew and mishtal the account she has praised so highly
                              In July of last year, as he concluded his excellent piece on Labours proposed Code of Conduct on antisemitism, Brian Klug, senior research fellow at St Benets Hall, Oxford, made an appeal which

Comment

That's a good piece. I shared it on FB and two friends messaged me privately to say they agreed but didn't want to post (even though my post was inner circle friends only). Retweeted it and immediately lost 3 followers. Good.

Comment

That article, amongst many other things, makes a strong case for twitter being shut down as amn irredeemable waste of fucking time. Politics on twitter seems to resemble nothing less than my daughter's primary school class' relentless friendship dramas crossed with toxic bile. Urgh.

Comment

That does a really good job of exposing the fascist links of some of the "anti-semitism campaigners" and it presents a clear case that Rachel Riley is not acting in any sort of good faith (if she's praising Sussex Friends of Israel for example). Could have stuck the boot into Pollard a bit more though.

There's a fair bit of reaching in some of the other bits that it'd be stronger without (including me, for the sick bucket, when the corbyn hagiography gets brought out).

Comment

Thanks

Another piece on How the so called "Campaign against Antisemitism" a far right groupuscule very close to the Gatestone Institute and rejected by mainstream jewish organisations untilrecerntl were taken at face value during the anti-semitism crisis of last summer - and happily threw around accusations of holocaust denial
                                      It is vital that anti-Semitism is called out, wherever and whenever it occurs, regardless of which organisation, individual, political...

Comment

You know, I'd like to think I'm pretty well-informed and media savvy, but aside from the odd allusion to it on the Twitters, this Rachel Riley thing has completely passed me and I suspect the overwhelming majority of people in Britain - by. Called to mind, this, to be honest.
                                        A ROW about an obscure thing normal people do not care about has been raging in the Twittersphere for almost a week.

Comment

Haha E10, that was one of mine! (Written months ago but only just used for some reason)

Comment

Working...
                                          X