PPI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PPI?

Like everyone else, I have spent ages ignoring PPI calls, emails etc. Then I realised "Hold on, I actually might be owed some" as I got a mortgage about 25+ years ago which was a shitty endowment one that came up 2 years ago. Someone said that there is a way of finding out yourself if you are owed it with no need to deal with the PPI sharks. OTF Hive mind, over to you.

Citizens Advice Bureau provides advice to citizens

Comment

I weighed up the inconvenience of writing to six different companies that I owed credit card debt to, and the subsequent follow-ups with each of them, and decided to go with one of the sharks. I filled in a couple of forms, they did the rest; yes, they took (from memory, it was 2 years ago) 30% or thereabouts, but I got back 1500 quid for almost bugger all work on my part, so was happy enough.

Not the solution you're asking for, I know...

Comment

I've been wondering about this for a while, actually.

I've had one credit card account (well, I'm now on the second one, but that was opened last year which I think means it's outside the remit of these claims), and have never had any debt beyond once accidentally going overdrawn on my current account by about five quid for a grand total of 24 hours. I've never taken out a mortgage (I wish!) or a loan (not even a student one, because my parents saved up from when I was born to put me through uni). I have bought travel insurance, but I'm buggered if I can remember all those details, and even if I did keep the certificates in a drawer somewhere, they'd be back at my parents' place. Common sense seems to dictate that there's no way this would be worth my while, but some of the things I've heard make me wonder whether I could get something. I mean, that previous credit card was issued by RBS in 2003, so there must have been something financially dodgy about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
          Like everyone else, I have spent ages ignoring PPI calls, emails etc. Then I realised "Hold on, I actually might be owed some" as I got a mortgage about 25+ years ago which was a shitty endowment one that came up 2 years ago. Someone said that there is a way of finding out yourself if you are owed it with no need to deal with the PPI sharks. OTF Hive mind, over to you.
          Do it. Like you we didn't think we had grounds for complaining but a colleague of mine persuaded me to do it as she was in the same situation, same lender (Halifax) etc. She got about £500. So we did it, about 7 years ago, complained to Halifax that we were sold unnecessary PPI by the mortgage adviser when we took our mortgage. They sent us a form to fill in, we did, it took about 45 mns and we attached a strong covering letter (I would if I were you, with facts, dates, names - of PPI/mortgage advisers - if poss, amounts paid in PPI, write that you'll to go to the financial ombudsman if necessary as you have a strong claim, etc.). I really thought it'd be rejected as our complaint's grounds seemed tenuous to us, so we were surprised to get a cheque for £1,000 about 2 months later. Not bad for probably about 2 hrs' work.

I do think our claim was very flimsy but what I think is happening is that they get so many letters, and have set aside £billions for compensation purposes, so instead of fighting borderline cases (especially for piffling amounts like ours, in the £500-£1,500 range), they just pay up, no time wasted, no complications, no ombudsman etc.

I got stung in the mid 1990s when I took out an endowment mortgage on my first house (and sold this endowment mortgage 6 yrs later after moving out, at a loss, ~£3,000) so I was doubly pleased to get one over the bastards.
          Last edited by Pérou Flaquettes; 27-07-2018, 08:58.

Comment

I sorted it for my parents. A mate runs one of the shark companies, and he did all the forms for them for free (so technically I guess he sorted it...). They got thousands back. So much that they cancelled the money I owed them, which was a massive plus. Go, PPI!

Comment

I got some money. I applied under the old regime, when they just said no. Then a couple of years later they sent me a cheque

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                I sorted it for my parents. A mate runs one of the shark companies, and he did all the forms for them for free (so technically I guess he sorted it...). They got thousands back. So much that they cancelled the money I owed them, which was a massive plus. Go, PPI!
                Is this why you have just bought a season ticket for Old Trafford?

Comment

I got about 1500 quid back for PPI on a loan from Lloyds that I took out when I was a student - noted on the application form that I had been told that I had to sign up for PPI or I wouldn't get the loan approved, and received the compensation in my bank account within a couple of weeks.

Recently discovered an old Kwik-Fit Autocharge card from my student days too (it could be used to pay for fuel at Shell stations, and was Dad's way of ensuring that I'd have the means to get my old rustbucket back to Hayes at the end of term in my final year). I had paid that off years ago but the final bill mentioned PPI - the company now responsible for those old accounts admitted that PPI had been applied to the card, but as I had paid it off and then not used it again after the application of PPI, there was therefore nothing to compensate me for as I'd never paid the unnecessary premiums in that case.

Comment

I wouldn’t worry about setting out too compelling a case in your application. I did one of these a few years back for a NatWest loan that I took out in the early 2000s - wrote “don’t remember” in pretty much all of the boxes and still was refunded in full.

Comment

Btw, I suspect that if you simply contact the institution involved and ask if there is potential for a claim, they will be obliged to tell you and how to go about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
                        Btw, I suspect that if you simply contact the institution involved and ask if there is potential for a claim, they will be obliged to tell you and how to go about it.
                        Unless it’s Clydesdale who’ve been caught denying knowledge of cards/loans they have information about. They’ve now had to farm the process out to a third party so it’s worth checking again with them if you’ve been knocked back

Comment

Working...
                        X