Mass Shooting in Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mass Shooting in Toronto

WOM - What's happening up there? Is everyone okay?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ting-1.4757409

https://twitter.com/JeremyGlobalTV/status/1021220897695264768
    Last edited by Femme Folle; 23-07-2018, 03:43.

So, I guess WOM is in Virginia now, according to the trump's card thread.

Comment

Just awful

Comment

The shooter is dead. At least one other person too.

Comment

Oh no. Glad it’s dealt with.

Comment

It happens about every 5 or 10 years in the country, I've been through 2 of these, Polytechnique in 89 and Dawson College about 10 years ago. I wasn't close to the Poly shooting, but have close friends who were herded by the killer at gunpoint, and later in 06 I lived about 3 blocks from Dawson at the time of the shooting.

We have about the same amount of those spectacular lone berzerk gunman shootings as the US, but what we don't have compared to the States are the ubiquitous mass gang killings that happen all the time in inner cities and that make up a sizable portion of the ~12,000 annual gun homicides stateside, and that don't garner much media and public attention.

Comment

Just woke to this news. We're in obx for the week.

The Danforth, where this happened, is an incredibly lively and vibrant night spot full of Greek restaurants and bars and a really popular concert venue. If you wanted to find masses of unarmed people at 10 pm, this is where you'd know to go.

Seems we know nothing about the shooter, so no speculazzi from me.

Comment

Two innocent fatalities (a 10 year-old-girl and an 18 year-old-woman) plus the killer. It's not clear whether he was shot by the police or took his own life.

Comment

How sick do you have to be to shoot a 10yo girl, incredible.

Comment

Very. Apparently struggled with psychosis and severe mental health issues his whole life, according to his family. Faisal Hussain, 29.

Comment

Gun deaths in Toronto have doubled since 2014 but are still low by the standards of a US city

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44933175

Comment

Surprised to find some American cities way down on the list.

Quebec City had gone several years without any homicides, the recent mosque shooting put the city back in the black, albeit still at the bottom.
                        Last edited by linus; 25-07-2018, 00:26.

Comment

Originally posted by linus View Post

Surprised to find some American cities way down on the list.

Quebec City had gone several years without any homicides, the recent mosque shooting put the city back in the black, albeit still at the bottom.
                          Surprised Ft McMurray has enough people to make that list.

Comment

As the major population centre for the oil sands, it has more than 65,000 residents.

There is evidence that a number of the US cities near the bottom of that list (including New York) manipulated death data to reduce the number classified as homicides. There are obviously limits as to how much of that any police force can do, but it can be enough to move a city a few places on such a table.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              As the major population centre for the oil sands, it has more than 65,000 residents.
                              Right, but I would have thought the cut-off would be 100,000 at least.

Comment

That would limit you to about 30 places in Canada, which isn’t enough for a real comparison with the US.

I do wonder if they are using single year data or taking an average of three or five years. The former would be seriously distorted by an event like Orlando, Las Vegas or the Ecole Polytechnique.

Comment

West of Winnipeg, you learn to sleep with one eye open.

Comment

It's odd that among Vancouver/Lower Mainland/ Vancouver Island municipalities Surrey is so low. Ask more or less any resident, and I'm sure they'd put it at or near the top.

Comment

Working...
                                    X