Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reality Checkpoint
    replied
    Great evening guys, I’ll think about that thread Irony!

Leave a comment:

• irony towers
    replied
    Many thanks to ad hoc, Reality Checkpoint, Janik and EEG for an enjoyable evening, and kudos for not discussing Brexit until I registered my surprise that we hadn't discussed Brexit.

Reality Checkpoint really should start a thread on Train Journeys That Didn't Go As Expected.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    I'm going to be there slightly closer to 7.30 than 7 I'm afraid IT. But I will be there. Hope to see everyone there in an hour or so

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    Thanks ad hoc, but on reflection I'm likely to arrive 7.30ish as I need to cook dinner after work for wife, daugher and self then eat it with them before I head out.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    If earlier is better for you EEG, I could aim to be there before 7

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    Well I know when and where to go if I can make it, which I have a reasonable chance of, at least for the first hour or so. I really hope so, it would be great to see you all.

Bloody hell, with 38.1 deg C in Cambridge today - the highest official reading in the news so far for the UK - I am mighty glad that the bumps were last week not this week.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    See you there at around 7

Leave a comment:

• irony towers
    replied
    I'll aim to be there for around 7.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    Slacker. I'm sure there are direct flights from Buenos Aires to Cambridge these days...

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    OK let's do the Cambridge Blue. yr.no (my weather forecaster of choice) suggests tomorrow evening may be lightly raining so we might be alright to find a convenient place. Any preferences on time? I can pretty much make any time
    Let's stick with the Blue. Rain is generally forecast (hard to believe at the moment), but the garden is mostly under cover. It will still work as a start point. In terms of timing, I can make anything from 7:30pm onwards.

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied
    Just popping in to say I thoroughly enjoyed reading all the talk of bumping.

I shall be unable to attend for drinks, though.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    OK let's do the Cambridge Blue. yr.no (my weather forecaster of choice) suggests tomorrow evening may be lightly raining so we might be alright to find a convenient place. Any preferences on time? I can pretty much make any time

Leave a comment:

• Reality Checkpoint
    replied
    I might be able to make it - Cambridge Blue is fine by me and there are other options around if it is too rammed. It would also give me a chance to pay my respects to the remains of Gee's <sad face>.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Anywhere is fine with me. The Cambridge Blue has one of the bigger gardens but obv it will be rammed

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    I suspect that will be more or less true of everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    Cool. Any thoughts on where? Somewhere with a garden sounds good. Forecast for Friday evening is currently 20-25C and dry until after midnight. The Cambridge Blue would be an option, though their garden is often heaving at the best of times, let alone a warm Friday evening...

Leave a comment:

• irony towers
    replied
    Hi all, Friday should be ok for me.

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    I might be. Depends what I can agree with the missus on evening childcare as she also has going out plans. Really hope I can make it.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    I can do Friday. Anyone else good for that?

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Janik View Post
    Anyroad, have any evenings been suggested for a meet up? I saw EEG suggested this week as a possibility...?
    I'd be up for any evening this week

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Sporting, I would posit that EEG's view is not at all controversial among those who have done both law and serious study in another discipline. Should you wish to explore this, I would suggest a coffee with a professor at any university with a law school. Philosophers tend to be particularly frank on the topic.
    I don't know any philosophy professors but I do know someone who works in the Linguistics Department at UPV. He will have to do.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Sporting, I would posit that EEG's view is not at all controversial among those who have done both law and serious study in another discipline. Should you wish to explore this, I would suggest a coffee with a professor at any university with a law school. Philosophers tend to be particularly frank on the topic.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    Particularly given EEG's occupation which one would assume necessitates a Law degree...

Anyroad, have any evenings been suggested for a meet up? I saw EEG suggested this week as a possibility...?

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    [QUOTE=Evariste Euler law, which I would personally put below all sciences and also below most humanities, on the basis that a large part of it - namely the study of what the law actually is in any given field - is essentially the study of what other, intellectually limited, human beings (i.e. judges and parliamentarians) have decreed, rather than an unlimited free enquiry into objective truth and logic.

[/QUOTE]

Ooh...controversial!

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    That nonsense about finger holding does apply to all degrees I think - I attended my wife's Cambridge M Ed ceremony eariler this year (at which all levels of degree were presented) and I'm pretty sure all degrees from doctorate down had something similar. I think from memory that with doctorates at least you get a bit more dignity, like not being presented in batches. I can't remember the ceremony for the token Cambirdge MA which I took in person a few years after my bachelor's degree back in the 1980s but I assume it's similar. Of course, as ad hoc noted, you can take your degree in absentia (!) if you find the ceremony offensive or simply inconvenient.

The Latin is a bit silly and the finger holding bizarre in the extreme, but what pissed me off most about the ceremony was that it demonstrated that at Cambridge degrees which are prima facie at the same level (e.g. all doctor, or all master, or all bachelor) have a ranking within that level which derives from the status of the degrees in those subjects back in mediaeval times. So "divinity" (partly at least worthless religious mumbo jumbo) is I think top, and also very high ranking is law, which I would personally put below all sciences and also below most humanities, on the basis that a large part of it - namely the study of what the law actually is in any given field - is essentially the study of what other, intellectually limited, human beings (i.e. judges and parliamentarians) have decreed, rather than an unlimited free enquiry into objective truth and logic.

Anyway, as ad hoc noted, we rowed over again on our last day. Very disappointing, I really thought we'd make a bump. Oh well, next year. More of a downer is the atrocious weather, which is appallingly timed for the after-bumps open air party I'm about to head off to. It's going to be sunny and 30 degrees C in Cambridge mid next week. Could so have done with that for the summar party mood this evening.

{Edit: sorry that took a long time to post and crossed with Balders' post which probably makes most of it superfluous.]

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Geez, I don't think the Ivies had this kind of frippery in the Seventeenth Century

Leave a comment:

Working...
X