Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ad hoc
    replied
    So, I'm back in Cambridge as of this coming weekend for another 4 week block. Anyone fancy an evening out down the pub at any point in the next month?

Leave a comment:

• Reality Checkpoint
    replied
    It looks like I won't be able to make the Exeter game tonight - the U's will have to find a way to lose without me jinxing them (shouldn't be difficult).

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Just about to start a new thread re: meeting up in London next Saturday

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    I assume it's intended as a contradiction of the "report" referred to in the immediately preceding paragraph. But yes, it reads very oddly.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Until the early 1970s the lamppost was painted a dishwater grey or discoloured cream.[5] In 2017 two brothers, David and Sandy Cairncross, revealed that they had been responsible for repainting it in bright colours in October 1973, a task undertaken with the written permission of Geoffrey Cresswell, the Cambridge City Engineer.[5] At the time, David Cairncross was a student at King's College, Cambridge and Sandy Cairncross, a postgraduate research student (now a distinguished epidemiologist). The repainting did not involve anyone from Cambridgeshire College of Arts and Technology.
    That last sentence sounds like it has a history, unless there is someone who goes around wikipedia pages adding in random sentences about things that were NOT connected to the event in question.

"The 2018 World Cup Final featured France against Croatia. Suriname were not involved"

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    Sorry you couldn't join us DA. Had a very good get together with ad hoc, Janik and Reality Checkpoint (and I learnt what RC's moniker refers to).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_Checkpoint

Leave a comment:

• David Agnew
    replied
    I’m not going to make it I’m afraid, only left work half hour ago. Will keep an eye out for any more drinks while you’re here.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    In case you see this EEG, I imagine I'll be a bit late, hopefully no more than about 15 minutes

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Looking forward to seeing EEG, RC, and hopefully DA (and possibly janik too).

DA if you can make it. Come out of the station turn right cross straight over the car park behind the new Ibis hotel and carry on down Devonshire Road. At Mill Road turn left and then straight away first right. That's Gwydir Street and the Cambridge Blue is about 100m along on the left.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    Sorry for the slow reply, I've been trying to work out if I can make it along this evening. I think probably not, but I retain some hope. The Cambridge Blue is within range of the station, so not really a problem. I will show up if I can...

Next Tuesday for Us vs Exeter is almost certainly not an option.

Leave a comment:

• treibeis
    replied
    I miss WOM's truly pathetic "I will be unable to attend" joke.

Leave a comment:

• David Agnew
    replied
    Friday is looking better for me than tonight!

Leave a comment:

• Reality Checkpoint
    replied
    I'm hopefully around tho' probably not until later (8:30 - 9 ish) The Cambridge Blue is good for me.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Sure. Sounds good. Anyone else up for this?

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    Yes, Cambridge Blue's good for me. How would 7.30 suit you ad hoc?

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Anyone else for tomorrow evening?

If no train-bound people are coming, would you be fine with the Cambridge Blue, EEG? What's a good time for you?

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    Friday's good for me.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    I have just found out that I can't do Thursday. Friday works though. Is that a possibility for people?

Leave a comment:

• David Agnew
    replied
    Hopefully I can make it - it depends on work and the trains. I'll have a better idea on Thursday morning.

Nearer the station would be better for me, as my last train is before 11.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    The Salisbury has been fine recently. However I'm not sure I can make it - my work Cricket team has a game planned. But that is rather weather dependent.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Cambridge Blue is good for me, but if Janik can make it and would rather be closer to the station we could do the Salisbury. (The Salisbury Arms used to be one of the best pubs in the city always recommended by CAMRA etc. Then it went really downhill and was dead rough and dodgy. I walked past it the other day and it looked like it's alright again. The Live and Let Live is another one round there that is (or used to be) good

Leave a comment:

• Duncan Gardner
    replied
    Morning all. Sorry to hear about your Dad AH.

If a North London-thon is still a poss keep us posted

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    Thursday good for me. Any thoughts on venue? I'd prefer to avoid the Flying Pig due to the risk of bumping into work colleagues (not normally something I'd mind at all, but not appealing when I'm on a two week holiday and want to forget about the office entirely). How about something in the Mill Road area, like say the Kingston Arms on Kingston Street, the Cambridge Blue on Gwydir Street or the Salisbury Arms on Tenison Street?

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Yes this week looks good. Thursday? Anybody else like to join us? DA - weekends are a bit tricky as I have been spending them with my ailing father.

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied
    Shouldn't be too many evening commitments in the morning, ad hoc. Wrong time of day for them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X