No announcement yet.

Cambridge in August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been trying to work out if I can make it along this evening. I think probably not, but I retain some hope. The Cambridge Blue is within range of the station, so not really a problem. I will show up if I can...

Next Tuesday for Us vs Exeter is almost certainly not an option.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing EEG, RC, and hopefully DA (and possibly janik too).

DA if you can make it. Come out of the station turn right cross straight over the car park behind the new Ibis hotel and carry on down Devonshire Road. At Mill Road turn left and then straight away first right. That's Gwydir Street and the Cambridge Blue is about 100m along on the left.

Comment

In case you see this EEG, I imagine I'll be a bit late, hopefully no more than about 15 minutes

Comment

I’m not going to make it I’m afraid, only left work half hour ago. Will keep an eye out for any more drinks while you’re here.

Comment

Sorry you couldn't join us DA. Had a very good get together with ad hoc, Janik and Reality Checkpoint (and I learnt what RC's moniker refers to).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_Checkpoint

Comment

Until the early 1970s the lamppost was painted a dishwater grey or discoloured cream.[5] In 2017 two brothers, David and Sandy Cairncross, revealed that they had been responsible for repainting it in bright colours in October 1973, a task undertaken with the written permission of Geoffrey Cresswell, the Cambridge City Engineer.[5] At the time, David Cairncross was a student at King's College, Cambridge and Sandy Cairncross, a postgraduate research student (now a distinguished epidemiologist). The repainting did not involve anyone from Cambridgeshire College of Arts and Technology.
              That last sentence sounds like it has a history, unless there is someone who goes around wikipedia pages adding in random sentences about things that were NOT connected to the event in question.

"The 2018 World Cup Final featured France against Croatia. Suriname were not involved"

Comment

I assume it's intended as a contradiction of the "report" referred to in the immediately preceding paragraph. But yes, it reads very oddly.

Comment

Just about to start a new thread re: meeting up in London next Saturday

Comment

It looks like I won't be able to make the Exeter game tonight - the U's will have to find a way to lose without me jinxing them (shouldn't be difficult).

Comment

So, I'm back in Cambridge as of this coming weekend for another 4 week block. Anyone fancy an evening out down the pub at any point in the next month?

Comment

I'm rowing in the Town Bumps races w/b Mon 15 July (good spectator sport if you fancy watching the chaos from the garden of the Plough in Fen Ditton) and am away from Sat 27th, but would be up for a few pints on some evening in w/b 22nd.

Comment

What time are the town bumps races on EEG? Be happy to come down to those if they're an early evening thing.

Comment

The Division start times are here:

http://www.crarowing.co.uk/town-bump...umps/bumpsdivs

The boat I'm in (Xpress 5) is midway down the 3rd men's division, so our start cannon is fired at 7:35pm on Monday and Tuesday, and at 6.15pm on Thursday and Friday.

We start in 11th place in the division on the Monday (start order@ http://www.crarowing.co.uk/town-bump...umpsstartorder ) but naturally we're hoping to start in 10th place on Tuesday, then 9th on Thurs and 8th on Friday. If you see our division, you'll recognise our crew by the hideous pink/lilac rowing shirts we wear with our law firm's branding. I'm the guy who's about 25 to 30 years older than the other rowers in the boat.

Comment

You are going to tell me that town bumps have been going in for centuries, aren't you.

And here I had been led to believe that it was strictly a university thing.

EEG, it isn't nice to talk about your brand identity that way. As you know better than me, the firm has spent shitloads promoting that colour.

Comment

Ursus, I'd also never heard of our town bumps until I moved back to Cambridge some years ago, and I was amazed to learn that they are almost as venerable, and now on very nearly the same scale, as the University bumps. The first University bumps on the Cam were in 1827, the first Town Bumps in 1868. Of course, there has been rather more evolution in the identity and naming of the town rowing clubs over that period than in the Colleges: there is no longer a town rowing club, for example, called "University and College Servants".

i couldn't possibly comment on our firm's brand identity promotion. I try to ignore it as much as I can.

Comment

Man, if only I had known. I happened upon training for the University Bumps in 1977 and was completely enthralled.

Is there an over 65s division?

It would take me a while to get back into a semblance of shape.

Comment

There aren't any age-specific divisions, but there are a good number of boats with crews wholly over retirement age to be found in the lower reaches of the start order. My next door neighbour is 65 and rows with one of the other clubs, though she has been doing volunteer work in Nepal for most of the year and so won't be in a bumps crew this year.

It's a kind of chasing of lost youth for me: I wanted to row for my college (Jesus) when I first started university aged 18, but I'm small and I was brow-beaten into coxing instead in my first term. I rowed once in the Lent Bumps in my second year and we went down 2 places. Then I was lucky enough to back to university in middle age and was stunned to find that despite that additional age handicap I was welcomed with open arms by the lovely people at the boat club of my new college (St Edmund's), and had a great term rowing with them, but then had to have surgeries which meant I never rowed bumps during my time at Eddies. I thought that that really was it then, but then the lovely people at my new law firm astonished me similarly by welcoming me into their squad in my mid-50s, so here I am with another chance to get my first ever bump, 37 years after I first tried to join a crew.

Comment

My dad coxed the Sidney Sussex 3rd boat to a 4 bump success (or whatever it is called) during his time as a student. We still have the rudder at my mum's place with the names of the crew on it.

Comment

I love it when a plan comes together . . .

​​​​​​Maybe I could arrange some kind of sabbatical arrangement.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                          There aren't any age-specific divisions, but there are a good number of boats with crews wholly over retirement age to be found in the lower reaches of the start order. My next door neighbour is 65 and rows with one of the other clubs, though she has been doing volunteer work in Nepal for most of the year and so won't be in a bumps crew this year.

It's a kind of chasing of lost youth for me: I wanted to row for my college (Jesus) when I first started university aged 18, but I'm small and I was brow-beaten into coxing instead in my first term. I rowed once in the Lent Bumps in my second year and we went down 2 places. Then I was lucky enough to back to university in middle age and was stunned to find that despite that additional age handicap I was welcomed with open arms by the lovely people at the boat club of my new college (St Edmund's), and had a great term rowing with them, but then had to have surgeries which meant I never rowed bumps during my time at Eddies. I thought that that really was it then, but then the lovely people at my new law firm astonished me similarly by welcoming me into their squad in my mid-50s, so here I am with another chance to get my first ever bump, 37 years after I first tried to join a crew.

That's a lovely story, EEG. It's great when one gets to right a long-standing regret or disappointment.

Comment

Thanks NS!

Comment

Had to google this bumps lark. Obviously, unlike most of the high fliers on this board, I went to the wrong university.

Comment

There's only EEG on this thread I think went to Cambridge

Comment

We were told not to even think about it, given our relative penury of boats and the potential implications of having to swim in the Charles.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                    I love it when a plan comes together . . .

​​​​​​Maybe I could arrange some kind of sabbatical arrangement.
                                                    Ha, it would be great to see you in Cambridge Ursus!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X