X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flynnie
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Flynnie, what did you think that they were made of?
    I don’t know, something that doesn’t make me want to shout JENGA! when they all fall over.
    Last edited by Flynnie; 14-07-2019, 08:10.

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    As the person who started this diversion, apologies Ton Ton, my point was crudely put, one of the biggest ironies about the 12th is that Ian Paisley, as a free Presbyterian, was never an Orangemen and could never be one as a member of an unestablished church I.e anyone outside the Church of Ireland.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Deary me oh lord.

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied
    well heterosexuality was extraordinarily robust back then. Best off keeping out of it, as a lot of people did.
    Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 13-07-2019, 14:30.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    The whole thing is daft. And worse. "safer with" is...well, it doesn't show much of an understanding of how anything works really.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

Though, as rumour has it, she was safer with king Billy than with just about anyone else.
    Well if you don't have any mistresses, and make your handsome young page an earl, and try and give him half of Ireland, and leave him a fortune in cash and a Dutch title when you die, people will talk.(Keppel, the earl of Albemarle is apparently a direct ancestor of Diana, Camilla and Fergie) But I don't think people thought about things in those exclusive terms back then, particularly when it came to Kings. As long as the king knocked out an heir to prevent a civil war, No-one particularly cared who the King slept with, and the King generally slept who whomever he chose. Richard the Lionheart being a prime example.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    I am quietly looking forward to the day when the Jacobite pretender is once again a prince born in England.

The Bavarians are just about done, so it is just a question of how long the Hereditary Princess of Liechtenstein holds on for.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
    I always find it best never to mention that the 27-year--old King Billy married his 15-year-old cousin.
    or that he was at the head of the Dutch Conquest of England. or that by the stupid rules of Kings, they were all committing treason against their rightful king.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Hmmmm.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

Though, as rumour has it, she was safer with king Billy than with just about anyone else.
    DEFINITELY best not to mention that part. Especially in conversation with a bloke who's painted a mural of him waving a sword atop a rearing horse on the side of his house.
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 13-07-2019, 13:42.

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
    I always find it best never to mention that the 27-year--old King Billy married his 15-year-old cousin.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    And that he had the support of the pope.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied

Leave a comment:

replied
    This is a good question.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Flynnie, what did you think that they were made of?

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Benjm View Post
    If they've stopped putting tyres into them, it's good news for anyone downwind of the things.
    Given how frequently these are built in the middle of their own housing estates it's amazing that the practice was allowed go on for so long.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Any Ivory Coast flags on display this year?

Leave a comment:

• Benjm
    replied
    If they've stopped putting tyres into them, it's good news for anyone downwind of the things.

Leave a comment:

• Flynnie
    replied
    Wait, the bonfires are just a bunch of pallets all stacked up? That’s so fucking lame.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Is it me or has it all been realtively low key this year?

It is of course, a Friday, which means there's been an opportunity for all afternoon drinking, which is always going to help.

Leave a comment:

• Duncan Gardner
    replied
    Yes it rained twice this week. Once for 3 days and the other for 4.

The Molotov attacks were in a Nationalist area.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    Just going to tag onto last year's thread rather than start a new one this year.

Two arrests - a 16 and a 17 year old - after petrol bombs thrown at police but the scale was apparently much lower than last year:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-48960905

Lowest number of police call outs in four years - did it rain in Belfast last night?
    Last edited by Kevin S; 12-07-2019, 13:59.

Leave a comment:

• Nefertiti2
    replied
    https://twitter.com/tim_brannigan/status/1017051577574674433

one billion pounds for the DUP

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    Above all else, the Union Jack is aesthetically awful. (Though the tricolour also looks like shit, mostly).

Leave a comment:

replied
    I was just watching it there, and it's just so tragic. Think of it more like holding someone's hand in the hospice. They're urgently going to have to find a set piece activity that doesn't involve a 14 mile fucking walk.

They had a bizarre segment in the orange Museum and they were highlighting the case of a father and son. The Father died during the somme having never seen the son who was born after he left for the front. Then the son gets killed in france in 1940, and they simply chatted about it as though this was something to be proud of, and the presenter talked about them being re-united in death. It was mental. This was a a clear fucking warning from history to stay away from the british army.

Orangemen talking about these parades on telly do sound dead funny though. As though they have allowed emotions other than defiance and anger enter their bodies, and their voices can't handle it and they are quivering with happiness which will be extinguished on the 13th. A lot of the ones most outwardly focused on the lovely uniforms and the traditions, certainly did seem to be inadvertently demonstrating that Orange is one of the colours of the rainbow.

There's no way this can still be going on in 15 years. It's simply too preposterous.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X