No announcement yet.

The customary glorious Twelfth of July thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait, the bonfires are just a bunch of pallets all stacked up? That’s so fucking lame.

Comment

If they've stopped putting tyres into them, it's good news for anyone downwind of the things.

Comment

Any Ivory Coast flags on display this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
          If they've stopped putting tyres into them, it's good news for anyone downwind of the things.
          Given how frequently these are built in the middle of their own housing estates it's amazing that the practice was allowed go on for so long.

Comment

Flynnie, what did you think that they were made of?

Comment

This is a good question.

Comment

I always find it best never to mention that the 27-year--old King Billy married his 15-year-old cousin.

Comment

And that he had the support of the pope.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                    I always find it best never to mention that the 27-year--old King Billy married his 15-year-old cousin.
                    Though, as rumour has it, she was safer with king Billy than with just about anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

Though, as rumour has it, she was safer with king Billy than with just about anyone else.
                      DEFINITELY best not to mention that part. Especially in conversation with a bloke who's painted a mural of him waving a sword atop a rearing horse on the side of his house.
                      Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 13-07-2019, 13:42.

Comment

Hmmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                          or that he was at the head of the Dutch Conquest of England. or that by the stupid rules of Kings, they were all committing treason against their rightful king.

Comment

I am quietly looking forward to the day when the Jacobite pretender is once again a prince born in England.

The Bavarians are just about done, so it is just a question of how long the Hereditary Princess of Liechtenstein holds on for.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

Well if you don't have any mistresses, and make your handsome young page an earl, and try and give him half of Ireland, and leave him a fortune in cash and a Dutch title when you die, people will talk.(Keppel, the earl of Albemarle is apparently a direct ancestor of Diana, Camilla and Fergie) But I don't think people thought about things in those exclusive terms back then, particularly when it came to Kings. As long as the king knocked out an heir to prevent a civil war, No-one particularly cared who the King slept with, and the King generally slept who whomever he chose. Richard the Lionheart being a prime example.

Comment

The whole thing is daft. And worse. "safer with" is...well, it doesn't show much of an understanding of how anything works really.

Comment

well heterosexuality was extraordinarily robust back then. Best off keeping out of it, as a lot of people did.
                                  Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 13-07-2019, 14:30.

Comment

Deary me oh lord.

Comment

As the person who started this diversion, apologies Ton Ton, my point was crudely put, one of the biggest ironies about the 12th is that Ian Paisley, as a free Presbyterian, was never an Orangemen and could never be one as a member of an unestablished church I.e anyone outside the Church of Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        Flynnie, what did you think that they were made of?
                                        I don’t know, something that doesn’t make me want to shout JENGA! when they all fall over.
                                        Last edited by Flynnie; 14-07-2019, 08:10.

Comment

Working...
                                        X