The customary glorious Twelfth of July thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The customary glorious Twelfth of July thread

The Belfast Telegraph is trying to nudge people into being a bit more cautious in their conflagration-building this year.

Pointing out the resourcing issue - https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-37095531.html

And asking for common sense - https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/o...-37098353.html

This article is a lot more direct than most you'd find in a northern irish paper.

Comment

Unbefuckinglievable. What year is it there, anyway?

Comment

Huh?

The Glorious Twelfth is next month.

Comment

The same year as always - 1690

Comment

Same on the fucking grouse moors every August.

Comment

A propos of nothing, fly half Billy Burns is leaving Gloucester to join Ulster.

Comment

by the way, the collapsing tower video is way better if you can get the version that sets it to the titanic music.

Comment

I've got the ready salted version.

Brilliant.

Comment

Terrifying, too, of course.

Comment

Idle hands and all that.

Comment

Tradition man, it’s Their Culture.

Comment

Oh, well alright then...

Comment

Tongue in cheek WOM, I hate them and their fuckin fleg.

Comment

No, I got it. Baffles me, but I know that's the case. Like parading and such.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Craicxit/status/...915090948?s=19
                                https://twitter.com/Craicxit/status/1017131325915090948?s=19

Comment

Community activists, eh.

Comment

My local TD was the first Government representative at a Twelfth parade today.

Comment

Fuck that ecumenical shite, it’s a parade of ethnic and religious bigotry and supremacy . Fuck normalizing them, even if some accommodation has to be made with arseholes come a 32 county State.

Most of the silly cunts marching in this shite in the dirty 6 couldn’t even join the original Orange cunts, being Calvinist dissenters. I wish the silly cunts would rediscover their United Irishmen roots. Almost as fucked as cathliks under the penal laws, but now the last Staunch Unionists till they die in Korea or Scotland.
                                      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 13-07-2018, 00:28.

Comment

I was just watching it there, and it's just so tragic. Think of it more like holding someone's hand in the hospice. They're urgently going to have to find a set piece activity that doesn't involve a 14 mile fucking walk.

They had a bizarre segment in the orange Museum and they were highlighting the case of a father and son. The Father died during the somme having never seen the son who was born after he left for the front. Then the son gets killed in france in 1940, and they simply chatted about it as though this was something to be proud of, and the presenter talked about them being re-united in death. It was mental. This was a a clear fucking warning from history to stay away from the british army.

Orangemen talking about these parades on telly do sound dead funny though. As though they have allowed emotions other than defiance and anger enter their bodies, and their voices can't handle it and they are quivering with happiness which will be extinguished on the 13th. A lot of the ones most outwardly focused on the lovely uniforms and the traditions, certainly did seem to be inadvertently demonstrating that Orange is one of the colours of the rainbow.

There's no way this can still be going on in 15 years. It's simply too preposterous.

Comment

Above all else, the Union Jack is aesthetically awful. (Though the tricolour also looks like shit, mostly).

Comment

https://twitter.com/tim_brannigan/status/1017051577574674433

one billion pounds for the DUP

Comment

Just going to tag onto last year's thread rather than start a new one this year.

Two arrests - a 16 and a 17 year old - after petrol bombs thrown at police but the scale was apparently much lower than last year:
                                              https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-48960905

Lowest number of police call outs in four years - did it rain in Belfast last night?
                                              Last edited by Kevin S; 12-07-2019, 13:59.

Comment

Yes it rained twice this week. Once for 3 days and the other for 4.

The Molotov attacks were in a Nationalist area.

Comment

Is it me or has it all been realtively low key this year?

It is of course, a Friday, which means there's been an opportunity for all afternoon drinking, which is always going to help.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X