So, renting in London then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, renting in London then

Right. It's looking increasingly possible that I might be working in London for a few months. Probably in the City. Rather than spending my weeks in a local Travel Tavern, I wouldn't mind just renting a flat for 3-6 months. I don't mind walking to a Tube or DLR and Deptford / Greenwich seems to come up in a lot of searches.

No AirBnB. No house shares. I want a bed, a telly, somewhere to cook.

And the question is, OTF hivemind, where the hell do I start looking? Any good websites?

As you'll be living down there as a single gentleman of appropriate means you'll be moving to The Albany?

Comment

Sounds like you need a studio or a serviced apartment. Wouldn't know specifically where to look though.

Comment

Deptford is nice, and is likely to be not all that expensive by London standards.

Comment

*Googles The Albany*

Oh, God, no. It's just a base to work from in the week before returning home to Manchester for clean air, green landscapes and Mrs P.

New Cross to Fleet Street? That's doable isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Child Ballads View Post
            Deptford is nice, and is likely to be not all that expensive by London standards.
            This pops up a lot. Basically looking for a furnished studio for about £200 pw that I can rent for around 5 months.

I like how everything is "close to X station" in the adverts. My God, its London, everywhere is less than 10 minutes walk from a station. Why is this even mentioned as a thing?

Comment

I think £200 pw sounds a bit optimistic, unless it's a private arrangement.

Comment

New Cross to Fleet Street? That's doable isn't it?
                Very, though you might be better off using Deptford station so you can hop on the Thameslink straight to City Thameslink (once the timetable and driver situation is sorted out, of course). Unfortunately that end of town is likely to be more expensive. There's a lot of new build going up around the Creek though, so maybe not.

£200 sounds extraordinarily optimistic, but to be fair I've been out of the rental market for a few years now.

Comment

I like how everything is "close to X station" in the adverts. My God, its London, everywhere is less than 10 minutes walk from a station. Why is this even mentioned as a thing?

Because some tube / train / overground / DLR lines will be more convenient for getting to where you're going than others. Getting one train straight there instead of having to change several times, that sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                    Very, though you might be better off using Deptford station so you can hop on the Thameslink straight to City Thameslink (once the timetable and driver situation is sorted out, of course). Unfortunately that end of town is likely to be more expensive. There's a lot of new build going up around the Creek though, so maybe not.

£200 sounds extraordinarily optimistic, but to be fair I've been out of the rental market for a few years now.
                    £200 was a guide. I found unfurnished in Deptford for £202. And there is this - http://www.reside.co.uk/property-sea...detail,pid=113 in New Cross - at £237. I have no idea about New Cross.

Comment

True, but agents and landlords will charge a premium for short lets. You might end up paying nearer £300.

Comment

I wish I could bloody find them on those sites.

I should have taken the gig with the Irish Prison Service. At least I know that they have cheap rooms.

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Child Ballads View Post
                          Blimey, Deptford must have changed a lot in the last ten years. It was a complete shithole when I lived there.

Comment

Blimey, Deptford must have changed a lot in the last ten years.
                            Pretty sure there's a Deptford gentrification thread somewhere in the archives. It's changed massively even in the few years I've been there. Especially around the station and the Creek

Comment

Scumtree may be your best bet, you can filter by "private" so you don't get all the agency lets.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/property-t...eek/1305807923

That's for 6 months, extendable.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                Scumtree may be your best bet, you can filter by "private" so you don't get all the agency lets.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/property-t...eek/1305807923

That's for 6 months, extendable.
                                Is that room in a prison?

Comment

You get what you pay for ... and that has a shared bathroom. Don't drop the soap.

Comment

That's a weird photo. It's almost...arty in an unhelpful, grimy kind of way.

Comment

For the City, you might want to consider somewhere a few areas which are on train rather than tube lines that are well connected to the City but not massively inflated by tube station proximity – Walthamstow, Higham's Park, Ilford, Forest Gate, etc.

In London a decent room in a shared house tends to be around 600-700 per month plus. So something on your own, significantly more. I really couldn't guess how much. South East London is a very popular affordable place to rent, though, and it's quite lively due to the student crowd down there.

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
                                        That's a weird photo. It's almost...arty in an unhelpful, grimy kind of way.
                                        There's six photos...all of the same two corners.

The loft bed is a nice touch. You could play pirates or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                          For the City, you might want to consider somewhere a few areas which are on train rather than tube lines that are well connected to the City but not massively inflated by tube station proximity – Walthamstow, Higham's Park, Ilford, Forest Gate, etc.
                                          Try Upminster, Romford and Brentwood as they have fast trains into Liverpool Street and Fenchurch Street. Also try places such as Erith as you can get a fast train into Cannon Street.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Yeah, I noticed after I’d posted that there were five more. Should I go back and view them? I just don’t know.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Needs Lennie Godber sitting there, darning socks.

Comment

Ahh, I’ve looked.

Now I’m scratching my head.

Comment

Probably bedbugs from looking at that place...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X