X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire Season

https://twitter.com/Mr_Dave_Haslam/status/1011906478184259584

https://twitter.com/NASAEarth/status/1011708188578668545

We've already had a few small brush fires within 10 miles of home. It's scary every time you see the helicopters come over. They're usually put out pretty quickly because the fire department can get to them before they spread too much - but we're very dry and I can see something picking up before it can be contained if a fire starts on a high-wind day.

Yesterday a very small fire broke out 3 miles from here, and some plonker was flying a drone over it taking footage, which meant that the fire helicopter wasn't safe and had to land. Something like that could be the trigger where a fire could get out of hand.

Comment

Where did the woman in the picture get the gasmask from, out of interest?

Did she just happen to have a rubber fetish? Or are they handing them out?

Comment

NM extremely dry and we are holding our breath that we don't get hit too bad. Rain would sure be nice too.

The big regional fire is the 416 fire north of Durango, CO.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
          Where did the woman in the picture get the gasmask from, out of interest?

Did she just happen to have a rubber fetish? Or are they handing them out?
          It's Mossley, man. They dress like that all the time.

Comment

As I put on the Mundane Thread, town has smelled of burning vegetation for two days now. A haze has descended on the city centre that's reminiscent of bonfire night. I'm enjoying the smell, but it must be a nightmare for people with asthma and sinus issues.

Comment

Yes Cal. Friends back in NM have told me of their worries. San Juan, Rio Arriba and McKinley counties are on edge. The Bosque is always the fear around your area, right?

Comment

The Bosque is bone dry and always ripe for a blaze. The good news is that for most of the day people use the area for walking, jogging and cycling and can quickly contact authorities if a blaze is started.

The nearby Sandia mountains are likewise devoid of moisture, but (knock wood!) have not suffered a big fire in quite awhile. Nearby roads and proximity to ABQ definitely helps.

Comment

The fact that the Sandias haven't had a big fire for a while may be a worry. Lot of dry, dead brush up there. Used to like walking up there.

Comment

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1013551117156995072?s=21

Comment

Wow

Comment

Climate change? Hah!

Good to hear from you again FF.

Comment

Out of curiosity, what's the temperature where you are? Here it is going to hit 97 degrees with a heat index of 104.

Comment

Good book...

Fire Season: Field Notes from a Wilderness Lookout https://www.google.co.uk/search?kgmi...ypoint=sh/x/kp

Comment

Yeah, an excellent book MS - I did wonder if ursus had it in mind when he started the thread.

I'm miles away on the Merseyside coast, but the skies are clear enough tonight that I can see the Winter Hill transmitter shrouded in smoke through my binoculars.

Comment

As a matter of fact, I did.

Comment

I was working at an event near the Trafford Centre on Saturday. Coming over Barton Bridge it looked like Winter Hill was on the verge on erupting.

Comment

ahc, here’s yesterday

and today

High temperatures have been well over 90 for four days now and each day makes it worse
                                    Last edited by ursus arctos; 02-07-2018, 21:04.

Comment

I have a friend from school who now lives in the Bay area and he regularly sticks photos on Facebook that look like the pic on the cover of that book, as he is a volunteer look-out on Mount Tamalpais.

We seem to have missed the worse of the heatwave over here, but Friday and Saturday are expected to be over 100 at home, and up near 90 at the coast. Fortunately, it doesn't look like too much wind. Because I'm nervous. More than usual this year.

A small brush fire over the weekend down the road from us led the fire department to find a dead body. These small fires keeping breaking out - I think largely due to the homeless people who live in a lot of our urban-open spaces. And if one picks up, it could get very bad quickly.

Comment

San Francisco on Sunday looking towards the East Bay, where there are two significant fires burning, the Bay Bridge is anchored in the island one can see the bottom of, but the Bridge itself is invisible

Last edited by ursus arctos; 03-07-2018, 22:32.

Comment

The Sun has been shining here for well over a week, without any rain. It's a miracle we haven't had multiple bog fires, or gorse clearing efforts that have gotten out of hand. The thing that strikes me about California isn't that it has a lot of fires, it's that some part of it isn't always on fire.

Comment

I can see one fire on my way out from where I live and smell another one outside my office. Some absolute numbskull has organised a Chinese lantern festival in Buxton for the end of the month, it's fair to say the reaction from concerned parties is not very positive...

Comment

Lord, Ursus. That is horrible. Under a fire alert here but we keep getting short but heavy showers, usually accompanied by spectacular thunderstorms. Also, although it's hot it is also very, very humid. That keeps things damped down a little. That and the heavy dew we get each morning.

Comment

Police now investigating the Saddleworth Moor fire as arson. The sheer idiocy and anti-social behaviour of some people is staggering.

Comment

There's a big smoke plume I can see from my window. Some locals are wondering if it's close to here and a small fire, but I think it's this fire behind a ridge line and 15 miles away.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X