No announcement yet.

Fire Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The constant smoke is really bringing me down. I'm listless, my eyes are sore, and I'm constantly overheated because of the humidity. None of us can breathe properly, including Phoebe the Dog whose walks have been cut down in length as she pants so much. It's far more dispiriting than covid.

Comment

Hmm. Not sure what you can do. Maybe take a drive to Alberta? Is it better there?

Comment

In related news, the Seattle Mariners home series against the Padres has been relocated to San Diego.

Comment

Could see blue skies today and had air that was not unhealthy for the first time in I can't remember when.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
            Hmm. Not sure what you can do. Maybe take a drive to Alberta? Is it better there?
            Probably, but the prospect of a ten-hour drive doesn't thrill me. It'll get better. Compared to the poor buggers below the line we have it easy.

Comment

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1306816141415845889?s=21

Comment

this thread is mindblowing.

Wealthiest state in wealthiest country in the world

infrastructure not reneewed for a hundred years

no inspections

no records

https://twitter.com/TubeTimeUS/status/1306359385656946688?s=20

Comment

That's some lovely visualisation of the satellite data. Particularly the profile.

Comment

The most shocking thing about the second tweet of Nef's is how long we've known that PG&E are immensely negligent, yet somehow all the sanctions against them have resulted in the company still basically being as negligent as before. The state appeared to have concluded that shutting down PG&E (or taking it over) would have had worse outcomes than letting it continue to be negligent.

It's worth noting that it doesn't have to be this bad. There is a reason that Southern California has fewer bad wildfires. San Diego G&E is far from perfect, but they've been burying power lines, upgrading the above ground ones, and have created much smaller networks - allowing power to be cut in much smaller areas when winds are high: this works because it's much easier to cut off 10,000 people than 1,000,000 people. The political blowback is less extreme and thus they're much more willing to do it, which means they do it more often and prevent more uncontrolled fires.

Ironically, SDG&E is now far more profitable than PG&E because they aren't paying absolutely bucket loads in fines to the state, because they began expensive pre-emptive measures 15 years ago.

Comment

There's a very serious book to be written about PG&E that would be illuminating about the profound risks of essentially unregulated monopoly power in the contemporary US and the very real dangers of predatory capitalism.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

That's some lovely visualisation of the satellite data. Particularly the profile.
                        I can't see the info. Does the color indicate the altitude?

That suggests that there is smoke above me now in Pennsylvania. I can't see it, but it may be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I can't see the info. Does the color indicate the altitude?

That suggests that there is smoke above me now in Pennsylvania. I can't see it, but it may be there.
                          The main article that you can find linked from the tweet

https://graphics.reuters.com/USA-WIL..._medium=Social

has the stuff in, although I don't actually see a scale on it. Density of colour matches to density of smoke (white is clear air; black/brown is very smokey air). The profile track in the article mostly shows the same thing, but they don't have data within the bigger smoke plumes because the satellite can't see into it so it looks white in the graphic.

And yes, there's certainly smoke in PA. We've had a couple of very hazy sun days here where the smoke is definitely occluding the sun a bit.

Comment

Deep dive with some great maps on the impact of the fires on The wine industry, particularly in the Napa Valley

https://graphics.reuters.com/USA-WIL...mpm/index.html

Comment

A big fire on Table Mountain today. Some very sad stuff, including the burning of the University of Cape Town library. One of the positives is that it might finally have incinerated the stupid Rhodes Memorial.

Comment

The loss of the library is just tragic for African scholarship

Comment

G-Man posted something on Facebook. I'm assuming that he's in a safe place.
                                  Last edited by Gangster Octopus; 18-04-2021, 22:55. Reason: I must stop posting using my phone.

Comment

I think GMan lives on the other side of the city and should be fine

Comment

Yeah, I live where you look directly at the famous frontface of Table Mountain. The fires are around the left side of the mountain, but it was creeping around last night and this morning, a few kilometres from the town centre. Lots of evacuations, including the residents of the ugly three toilet rolls at the foot of the mountain.

Parts of the library at the University of Cape Town was on fire, as well as the quad of one of the old on-campus residences. 4,000 resident students on campus and nearby residences were evacuated.

The restaurant at Rhodes Memorial burnt down, but the monument to the genocidal colonialist survived. I had been at that place for coffee just last Monday. There are sllghtly eerie photos of the outside tables, which weren't burnt, standing abandoned with half-finished meals.

And the popular windmill near the university also fell victim to the flames.

I feel most heartbroken, though, about the wild animals that will have died in the flames.
                                      Last edited by G-Man; 19-04-2021, 16:06.

Comment

Just stepped outside my house to see the fire has spread to the other side of the mountain. Looks like Signal Hill is burning.
                                        Last edited by G-Man; 19-04-2021, 20:35.

Comment

Would appreciate an update when convenient, G-man

Meanwhile, we are back to square one in California

https://twitter.com/kronayne/status/1384953808908861444

Comment

https://twitter.com/Weather_West/status/1391797550173233162

Comment

https://twitter.com/emilyvaldezknx/status/1393769189165342725

Comment

Fire has not been as bad today as it was yesterday afternoon. We didn't have any ash falling at our house, but just under 10 miles away is a little scary, and the sky had that weird orange glow yesterday evening.

My photo from the top of a parking garage not far from my house:

Comment

Fingers crossed

Stay safe

Comment

Even given the frequency of fires in Southern California, I feel that I hear Topanga Canyon come up more often than almost anywhere else when fires are reported. Is there a particular reason the canyons just above Malibu are more vulnerable? Is it just that they haven't been developed as much as most of the rest of the area?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X